+74

People will ridicule you for eating a well done steak with ketchup then proceed to rave about a piece of brisket that has been sitting in the oven for 8 hours slathered in barbecue sauce. amirite?

Spliffkillahs avatar Money & Economics
0 18
The voters have decided that Spliffkillah is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Who eats steak with ketchup? Is this a thing?

Different methods treated differently, you wouldn't criticise a braised pork belly because it's not cooked like bacon.

My favorite steak partner is blue cheese these days... not the dressing the actual cheese. What a pair!

Mytokhondrias avatar Mytokhondria Yeah You Are +8Reply

Don't know where you're from, but in Texas you'd be lucky if all you got was ridiculed for cooking a brisket in the oven...

@dogmom050502 Don't know where you're from, but in Texas you'd be lucky if all you got was ridiculed for cooking a brisket in the...

Same for Alabama and Tennessee. Plus slow smoked for the proper amount of time will not get a brisket to well done aka burnt. A dried out well done brisket will get you banned from cooking alone without first being monitored and taught better around here.

People will ridicule you for eating sheeps hooves, but will not have a problem if you eat chops.

Am I doing it right?

You clearly don't understand how to cook meat.

The ketchup is a crime on either meat, though.

The BBQ better be decent for the brisket.

My wife eats ketchup on well done steak. When I first met her father, he was cooking steaks for everyone. I say to him something along the lines of "God, who eats ketchup on steak? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard."

He replied "I eat ketchup on my steak. How do you feel about that?"

..."i mean ketchup's cool man. I love ketchup 😳"

@Tldfonat My wife eats ketchup on well done steak. When I first met her father, he was cooking steaks for everyone. I say to...

"I actually prefer a caramelized tomato sauce reduction on my steak, but I suppose heinz will do."

I'd still stick to my guns. It's an insult to that nice peice of meat. Though I mean "dumbest thing I've ever heard" would be hard to recover from so I can sympathize lmao

Agreed. But only because there are some terrible BBQ sauces out there.

Cheytuflyas avatar Cheytuflya Yeah You Are +4Reply

Ketchup and steak is borderline criminal.

Oven cooked brisket is the worst...

@DrewCarey420 Oven cooked brisket is the worst...

Anyone interested in telling me the difference between an oven and a smoker other than the fact one has smoke intentionally and the other only has it when I'm trying to make pizza?

@Spliffkillah Anyone interested in telling me the difference between an oven and a smoker other than the fact one has smoke...

The smoke can leave an extra taste if done right to the meat. Also, flavor varies between the type of wood you use (apple wood could leave an "appley" taste. Etc). The smoke also tightens up meat and the fats/ juices come out more and are disturbed. It separates a lot of the flavors. It's important to flip the meat every so often to get equal heat distribution. The "resting" process takes about 45 minutes to an hour. This allows all the fats disturbed by the smoke and extras you can add to settle back into the meet. You'll notice the difference in tenderness from when you take the meat off the smoker, and when it rests for an hour.

An oven simply just cooks it with heat (with the seasonings of course.)

Sorry for the long explanation, but I like explaining in detail. :)

Hope this helps!