+37

You've probably been in the shadow of the international space station at some point and had no idea. amirite?

motorbikemillys avatar Science
0 4
The voters have decided that motorbikemilly is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

If you live above ~55 degrees latitude it's impossible to be in its shadow. The farthest north the station travels each orbit is 51.6 degrees.

It's actually fairly unlikely

Well considering how small the space station is and how big Earth is, and you have to take into account that 70% of the Earth is water and only a small percent of that 30 is inhabited by humans this seems extremely extremely unlikely. Not necessarily impossible but unlikely. And even if it did happen it would be over in a fraction of a second considering how fast Earth is rotating on its axis and revolving around the sun and the fact that the space station is moving as well in orbit.

My friend George was just in one last week. I've been in four. I think you're right.