+119

At equator a person will travel 40.000km per 24hr. The closer to the poles the person is, the travel will go towards 0km per 24hr. amirite?

motorbikemillys avatar Travel
0 9
The voters have decided that motorbikemilly is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

No

Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Framie1 No

Haha what? Why don't you think so?

@motorbikemilly Haha what? Why don't you think so?

Even if we ignore the Earth revolving around the sun, the sun revolving around the Milky Way, and the Milky Way itself moving through space, you still can never arrive at 0 km per 24 hours because the Earth's axis isn't fixed. The Earth's axis wobbles considerably, so the exact location of the true poles is constantly changing.

@Mytokhondria Even if we ignore the Earth revolving around the sun, the sun revolving around the Milky Way, and the Milky Way...

I guess my statement is "going towards 0" if you want to be picky.. If we compare equator to 70N=13.5k km
That's 40-13.5=26.5k km less needed travelled in 24hr. And that is wobbling ignored as well yes.

@motorbikemilly I guess my statement is "going towards 0" if you want to be picky.. If we compare equator to 70N=13.5k km That's...

In your post, you would only have needed to add the words "relative to the rotation axis of the Earth."  That would have avoided all this quibbling about the motion of the axis relative to other things.

Thinkerbells avatar Thinkerbell Yeah You Are -1Reply

How if the earth don't spin separately?

Nickyikkys avatar Nickyikky Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Nickyikky How if the earth don't spin separately?

Hahaha as far as I know earth don't spin separate from itself - I do still think equator is a longer distance than for instance 70N lat

The Earth travels 2.9Mm per 24 hours around the Sun. The Sun travels at 17.3Mm per 24 hours around the Galaxy. So no it doesn't matter how close you are to the poles your speed never decreases significantly.