+37

There was a point in human history when pockets didn't exist, amirite?

404ChompyNotFounds avatar History
0 11
The voters have decided that 404ChompyNotFound is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

And that time was surprisingly recent.

There was a point in male human history they didn't exist. They still don't for women. Damn, I love being a dude, I had a book, an iPad, and my phone In my shorts pocket the other day.

Pockets? What are those?

-women

Apartlavishnesss avatar Apartlavishness Yeah You Are +2Reply

No, there really wasn't.

A pocket was originally a small bag tied to a belt around your waist, hence the phrase "you dropped your pocket."

They only started to be sewed into pants and other clothing fairly recently.

Everybody has always had a perfectly good butthole for storing their trinkets and such.

@404ChompyNotFound That's usually where I put my phone when I don't have pockets

Same, they have a vibrating notification for a reason. I still keep my John Farnham ringtone on full volume though.

And i have pockets to my knees know

Now I wonder if pockets on clothing came first, or if clothing (as covering) and some manner of bag/satchel/fanny pack (a device to carry multiple things at once) came about separately, and then it was realized we could carry thing on our coverings? 🤔

Also, sorry to women, I can't wrap my head around why you don't get good pockets on clothing!

XdJackiebois avatar XdJackieboi Yeah You Are 0Reply
@XdJackieboi Now I wonder if pockets on clothing came first, or if clothing (as covering) and some manner of bag/satchel/fanny...

Id assume bags, going off of medieval ages, where pouches were the pockets of the time, with baskets being even older