0

One day people are going to be shocked they actually allowed smoking in society, amirite?

Thee-Apple-Lords avatar Money & Economics
0 38
The people are still deciding if Thee-Apple-Lord is right or wrong. Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

One day people are going to be shocked they actually allowed eating the corpse of an animal in society

??? Most people are shocked already. But its been around a long long time so its hard to be rid of

There was joke about this in the TV series "the Orville" around middle of season 2 I think.

I'm 58 years old. I remember people smoking on airplanes!

We already are shocked.

And on AIRPLANES!?

Eventually the same will be said for fast food

The self destructive tendencies and desire for freedom of humans will prove you wrong.

My chemistry teacher at University briefly mentioned how insane the history of chemicals are and it stuck with me. Humans just have no clue what we are doing and the push for constant innovation has always outran the need for safety.

I'm still shocked they used to smoke on planes can you imagine the smell.

If nearly anything found in a cigarette was discovered now it would not even pass the first clinical trial.

Already am shocked it was ever allowed. Pubs are so much nicer with clean air.

Really? Seems like people will always smoke something. It's just an effective way to get drugs into your system. I get tobacco is on the decline but weed is as popular as ever and that door is being opened more than closed. Maybe if you're talking ideal virtual society 1000 years from now or something but smoking will always be a thing for physical beings trying to make it through.

@mihneacuzino2 Really? Seems like people will always smoke something. It's just an effective way to get drugs into your system...

one day, probably within this decade, the same rules to cigarettes now will sure be applied to weed, then weed will loss it's advantage when you need to pay 200% tax for FDA approved joint products.

People will always be smoking in society, especially with countries slowly becoming more cool with weed, and also the world inevitably getting worse by the day, people will be smoking more and more to escape.

Doubt it... though they might wonder why we smoked tobacco, which is all con and no pro.

@Mrtechnohawk Doubt it... though they might wonder why we smoked tobacco, which is all con and no pro.

It's hardly all con—though certainly the cons vastly outweigh the pros—at least in the short term. If it had zero pleasant after effects at all, no one would ever smoke.

Periodically I smell woodsmoke and think, "Huh. That's still allowed?"

As long as you're not exposing anyone else to secondhand smoke, smoking should be allowed in society

People used to smoke in restaurants, airplanes, offices, literally everywhere without ventilation. Back in 2008 my office still had a designated indoor smoking room. It's insane to think about.

They should be more shocked they allowed drinking.

I remember when you could smoke in hospitals, government buildings, etc. And when I see old clips of people smoking on a bus or a train, it seems really out of place to me.

Being "allowed" to do something isn't the same as choosing to do it. Maybe people just finally get educated enough at a young age that people turn away from smoking entirely… it's much more likely that will happen than any government agency being able to cage or kill every single person who lights one up.

@Tanmoykayesen I think its more likely they outlaw prerolled cigarettes.

You can ‘outlaw' anything… enforcement is the question. People often roll their own cigarettes in batches to save time, so even rolling your own turns into a crime - one that would undoubtedly be enforced sporadically at best and would primarily impact those of low income status, especially people of color.

@Shiny244 You can ‘outlaw' anything… enforcement is the question. People often roll their own cigarettes in batches to...

nah they should just force people to roll their own, I don't think completely outlawing tobacco will work, but mass produced chemically enhanced cigarettes are a whole nother level of scourge. I have been addicted to pretty much everything

This comment was deleted.
@2992162

yeah maybe, usually I'm against prohibition

@Achilles982 Being "allowed" to do something isn't the same as choosing to do it. Maybe people just finally get educated enough...

I don't think education is the problem. I started smoking knowing full well it was horrible for my health and insanely addictive.

I remember as a kid, my dad taking me to the local Sheetz (localizing myself here) and seeing all the blue collar guys smoking a cigarette while making their morning coffee

This is a good example of the common fallacy that things will always progress the way they are currently progressing. One day people might all smoke, and be shocked they actually banned smoking in most restaurants at one point.

I don't get it though, how come some smokers can live such a long life?

Fat people will be a far bigger source of embarrassment. Obesity kills far more than smoking.