+126

90% of lies told are out of kindness or convenience, and not particularly immoral, amirite?

Iapetus-11s avatar History
0 24
The voters have decided that Iapetus-11 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Lying for convenience is immoral lol

In this corrupt world I'd say it's the opposite. The majority of lies are selfish and manipulative.

@Rowgeara In this corrupt world I'd say it's the opposite. The majority of lies are selfish and manipulative.

But if you count Santa Claus (and not an immoral one) the math starts to check out.

But can also still oddly be out of kindness at the same time once and awhile.

Thatoneduderyans avatar Thatoneduderyan Yeah You Are +7Reply

Lying is always immoral.

PizzaQueefs avatar PizzaQueef Yeah You Are +6Reply
@PizzaQueef Lying is always immoral.

Not if you don't hold yourself to religious standards of morality

@Milkzey Not if you don't hold yourself to religious standards of morality

Religious standards of morality are pretty damn low.

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +6Reply
@EmigrandE I don't disagree

OK, but a minute ago you held religion up as a moral standard.

@Mcgee0 OK, but a minute ago you held religion up as a moral standard.

Not exactly. Most religions say that lying is always immoral. I don't think that it is and so I do not hold myself to this particular religious moral standard.

baddThotss avatar baddThots Yeah You Are +6Reply

It's called tact. You can't tell your friend he looks like a Hanna-Barbera hippopotamus from the era of Moses who flew a plane that crashed into a paint factory; so you simply say he has a unique taste in clothing.

Honesty is the best policy...which makes dishonesty the second-best policy.

How would you know?

False. 90% of the lies I get told come from cowardice.

@donna False. 90% of the lies I get told come from cowardice.

Telling lies is like spanking children. It's pretty easy. It gets fast results. But it shows that the liar lacks the ability or patience to address real issues. Or maybe they just don't care.

@Alixkast Telling lies is like spanking children. It's pretty easy. It gets fast results. But it shows that the liar lacks...

I assume its the latter most of the time.

Sorry for being a downer, I'm just having a bad day.

Framie1s avatar Framie1 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Framie1 I assume its the latter most of the time. Sorry for being a downer, I'm just having a bad day.

Sometimes when you think they don't care, it's really because they don't know how to express. I hope you have a better day...and tomorrow.

I feel like putting a statistic wildly invalidated this idea. If you had said "many" or "a lot of" I would have bitten. . .but 90%?

While this may be true, this hurts my head because I'm someone who thinks people talk about me behind their back and lie to make fun of me. So my brain still disagrees with this.

sharmaji1301s avatar sharmaji1301 Yeah You Are +3Reply