+114

All restaurants should have a hand washing area that is somewhere in the dining area (not the restroom). amirite?

Achilles982s avatar Money & Economics
0 22
The voters have decided that Achilles982 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I think your title has people envisioning a sink right in the middle of the dining room, which would not be so sensible.

But definitely would be worthwhile to have a sink in a little nook, behind a partial wall, etc. I recently saw exactly this at a Starbuck; it was nice.

Ideally something with a foot pedal control (so hands-free, but not those annoying motion sensor ones that fail to work half the time).

@synthsexual I think your title has people envisioning a sink right in the middle of the dining room, which would not be so...

I agree. I should have specified what I want exactly. I'm glad you understand the vision!

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +4Reply

Chickies and Pete's, Philadelphia PA

KilljoyXs avatar KilljoyX Yeah You Are +6Reply

Pretty standard in kenya

So carry hand sanitizer with you, problem solved.

Kasies avatar Kasie Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Kasie So carry hand sanitizer with you, problem solved.

Toilet seat and sink were near baren of microbes, the water fountain in the hall had about 6 different bacteria growing, including streptococcus.

Pretty simple solution instead of a restaurant spending thousands they don't have

Nothing better than using hand sanitizer and then eating finger food!

As a cook at a restaurant, just know that I use paper towel to touch the door handle while leaving the bathroom, and then I wash my hands in a dawn/bleach/water combo. But i can guarantee that not every cook is doing that.

Is letting the water droplet/aerosol splash around the dinning area less gross? I don't think so.

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@88080808088 Is letting the water droplet/aerosol splash around the dinning area less gross? I don't think so.

The sink and paper towels could be placed in a nook area in the restaurant. And not everyone is messy when they wash their hands.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Achilles982 The sink and paper towels could be placed in a nook area in the restaurant. And not everyone is messy when they...

1. One messy person is all you need to ruin the area.
2. You cannot prevent aerosol. You need some physical barriers like doors.

teknogreeks avatar teknogreek Yeah You Are +5Reply
@teknogreek 1. One messy person is all you need to ruin the area. 2. You cannot prevent aerosol. You need some physical...

In fast food restaurants they have hand washing sinks. I understand what you're saying but I don't feel like the concept is any different. We all know hand washing is most effective for removing germs. The area would just need to be monitored and cleaned by staff.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +3Reply

a sink in a dinning room will definitely be equally unsanitary, if not more because of likely lower standards for cleaning

@Crazymotherfuker a sink in a dinning room will definitely be equally unsanitary, if not more because of likely lower standards for...

I just don't think so, a dinning room verses a public restroom. The bathroom has to be dirtier. Plus you HAVE to touch the door on the way out (in some cases) because vent dryers are so popular.

@Achilles982 I just don't think so, a dinning room verses a public restroom. The bathroom has to be dirtier. Plus you HAVE to...

1. Im serve-safe Certified (manager, not handler) I know what i'm talking about.
a restroom sink should be cleaned hourly, any sink in the dining area wouldnt be held to any cleaning standard.
2. your worried about the door handle when the faucet handle is the real hot spot.
3. customers almost never wash their hands so its unlikely the sink ever even gets dirty
4. the door handle is required to be sanitized as much as the sink.
5. the customer facing sink in a dining room would be exposed to a MUCH greater amount of contact and as such would most likely be covered with a greater degree of contaminants. because traffic is a bigger contributing factor to contamination than proximity to a toilet.
6. hand washing sinks are the most contaminated area in a kitchen, which is why they can ONLY be used as such, and that's without proximity to a toilet. which is to say any and ALL forms of public hand sinks are going to be "unsanitary" by which ever standard you hold, because human hands are universally unsanitary.

In a middle school biology class I did a bacteria culture of the surface of a toilet seat, hand sink and the water fountain outside the bathroom, guess which one produced the greatest veriety of bacteria.

As long as they have soap and paper towels and a trash bin near the door I don't see how it's unsanitary.

Dr-pens avatar Dr-pen Yeah You Are +3Reply

Use paper towel to open the door?

It does not matter where the hand-washing area is located in a public area. It's still a public area. And washing your hands will still make you more sanitary than not washing your hands.

Tanmoykayesens avatar Tanmoykayesen Yeah You Are +2Reply

In the US, due to ADA (disability access rules), what used to be a restroom with multiple stalls and sinks are now often single-use rooms, due to the need to provide adequate space (not complaining, just observing). So putting the sinks outside would certainly be an improvement, and I'm seeing this these days.

Since Covid, hand sanitizers are showing up more.

Full agreement from me. I can't eat until I've washed my hands and as you say I have to go to the toilets to do this. I always notice that 90% of the people in the restaurant do not do this so most people are eating with dirty hands. The pandemic has taught people nothing.