+146

it's really weird that people buy shirts on vacation as gifts for people that were not there. amirite?

stevnev88s avatar Money & Economics
0 24
The voters have decided that stevnev88 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'd agree but my grandma bought me a shirt while she was on a cruise to Alaska and I've worn it to rags, I had it for almost ten years now

I have a similar opinion but in regards to magnets. I collect magnets from places I've visited to serve as tiny memories on my fridge but people often bring me souvenir magnets from their own travels from countries I've never visited... and I don't want to put them up amongst mine, it's petty I know.

Souvenirs in general for people who weren't on the trip make no sense to me

Weird gatekeeping.

I don't buy shirts for people but I do buy shot glasses for my daughter when we are on a trip.

I agree. When we travel, we get shot glasses or consumables frequently.

@404ChompyNotFound I agree. When we travel, we get shot glasses or consumables frequently.

Consumables tailored around the location is fine to me. Shot glasses, thimbles, etc are fine for those that collect but I'm only getting that for people that I know want them.

Totally agree. I absolutely hate it when someone hands me a t-shirt. All my friends think I'm some sort of minimalist because all of my clothes can be neatly packed into a carry-on suitcase (unless you include jacket, gloves, and boots). This has the undesired effect of making everyone think of me when they pass by a t-shirt stand in whatever tourist trap they happen to be visiting.

Call it minimalism if you want, I call it simple, non-descript.

Completely agree… why I only buy food as vacation gifts-spices, specialty candy, booze from the area, but only if it's good stuff, otherwise I just share pictures.

browndog888s avatar browndog888 Yeah You Are +2Reply

I've never really experienced this but I think it's weird when people resell and buy shirts from a specific concert or festival they didn't go to. Like when the date & name of the venue are printed in big letters on a shirt and it's only meant to be sold at that one event. Sometimes this stuff goes for crazy money and I can't fathom why someone would want to wear it if they weren't there. I think that's similar to what you are discussing

@Openeyes I've never really experienced this but I think it's weird when people resell and buy shirts from a specific concert...

Very similar and I don't really understand that either except maybe the buyer collects all the band shirts and doesn't wear them.

Finally an unpopular opinion I agree with! Never got the practice unless the person specifically requested it. Now if it has a REALLY cool design the person knows you like and the location is relatively small print that works, but the traditional souvenirs with large text front and center....why?

@Bigbluemountainstar Finally an unpopular opinion I agree with! Never got the practice unless the person specifically requested it. Now...

Exactly. They were not there so no need to advertise the place by wearing it. They have no story to tell about it other than 'My friend/family was there"

Cheap and easy to carry.

Bf3247s avatar Bf3247 Yeah You Are +2Reply

The idea is that they were in that cool place and thinking of you. Here's a shirt from "Paris" and I was thinking of you. Then when you wear it you remember that you are special to that person even while they were in a cool place.

I have I had people bring up the place and asking how I like it. When I tell them I've never been I get an odd look. Am I alone here with this thinking?

I dont think its that weird, if the design is cool or something, its not that different than any other graphic t shirt.

You could avoid the weird look by just going "Oh I just got this as a gift from a friend" before saying youve never been.

I think fridge magnets and to a degree things like coffee mugs or stationery is weirder. Stationery especially nowadays, but I kind of understand the novelty of it. There is a type of person who would think that is charming and special to use.

Me and my buddies have spent probably $1000 on shirts (and pins) from places we went without each other. It lets people know you were thinkin about them and you wish they came with.

@jodzdzownica Me and my buddies have spent probably $1000 on shirts (and pins) from places we went without each other. It lets...

Exactly! It's so sad that people think gifts are all about the usefulness to the receiver. Such a gimme gimme world! Gah! It's the sentiment behind it. That while vacationing somewhere cool they were thinking of you.

lazar94s avatar lazar94 Yeah You Are +1Reply

"oh haha no actually my husband went and bought me this shirt as a souvenir. Hopefully I can go one day though he said it was really nice there". or something like that.

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +1Reply

My mom still dose this for me. I just wear them to bed or when I'm cleaning. Once they get old I throw them away.

Pheniz21s avatar Pheniz21 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Pheniz21 My mom still dose this for me. I just wear them to bed or when I'm cleaning. Once they get old I throw them away.

I've used some for working on my car or even torn apart and used as rags. No way I'm going into public with one anymore. Maybe if I've been there since receiving the shirt but have not ran across that situation yet.

Here is the shirt that doesn't fit you from a place you've never been. Enjoyyyyy!

88080808088s avatar 88080808088 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@88080808088 Here is the shirt that doesn't fit you from a place you've never been. Enjoyyyyy!

Had that happen before a few times. Are you supposed to then make those gifts for others that they would fit?

Yeah! My big brother there and he got me this shirt because he loves me, I really can't wait to go with him next time.