+164

The century of rapid technological progress has ended, amirite?

Mytokhondrias avatar History
0 28
The voters have decided that Mytokhondria is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Human-driven progress may have hit a point of diminishing returns, but AI-driven progress is in still in its nascency

@Boknows12 Yeah that's why we're all still alive. I've seen that Will Smith movie.

using movies to rate AI is a terrible foolish way firstly we are far away from true concious ai secondly if we did archive it and it wipes us out it would be nothing but our fault if we create something and the first instinct it has is to kill us it only means we made a mistake not it. Technological Advancements are a Tool neither good nor evil it is us who gives them Morality

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are +4Reply

Completely disagree. I was born in 1981. The amount of technological progression from 1995 to 2020 is astounding.

@DueBodybuilde Completely disagree. I was born in 1981. The amount of technological progression from 1995 to 2020 is astounding.

I'd say from 1995 to 2005 there was a huge leap in technology, then for the last 15 years the progress has been slower

Kionixs avatar Kionix Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Kionix I'd say from 1995 to 2005 there was a huge leap in technology, then for the last 15 years the progress has been slower

I would disagree. I have been working in manufacturing/infrastructure for the last 15 years. The improvements in technology and implementation have been significant.

Different sectors have had different levels of improvement. Sure, commercial computer stuff has slowed, but other areas have grown at an amazing speed.

You haven't been playing attention

Break up some of the tech corporations. Last time we did that we had a boom in technological advancement.

Apartlavishnesss avatar Apartlavishness Yeah You Are +5Reply

Na, different industries are due to hit their own revolutions.

We're currently in the height of technological advances within the logistics and shipping industry.

You should check whats two papers down the line and how quickly those get released technological progress is ever steadily advancing just not that much in the consumer market

Cheytuflyas avatar Cheytuflya Yeah You Are +3Reply

The internet only really became more than a fad in the 2000s. This has allowed people to communicate with anyone from almost anywhere on earth. We have easy access to most of human knowledge. Almost everyone has a computer in their pocket. Cloud storage gives everyone nearly unlimited storage and it's free for the average person. 20 years ago people rarely used the internet and then only for useful stuff. Now we use it complain about stuff.

Mcgee0s avatar Mcgee0 Yeah You Are +3Reply

The advancements in the IT sector alone during the past two decades is remarkable. So much so that our education system is having a hard time keeping up

Sectors have peroids of rapid growth and sagnatation. Personally I think the next boom will be in the medical sector. We are already seeing the start of it with the improvements in vaccines.

stevnev88s avatar stevnev88 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Oh boy, wait 'til you hear about this AI thing ....

Type the word Midjourney into the Google ....

I agree. It's actually nice.

yeah i forsee the next 10 years will just be nothing but "it's a phone, but it's faster and has a better camera!"

You can only push silicone so far.

lazar94s avatar lazar94 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@lazar94 You can only push silicone so far.

That's why there are q-bits spintronics and photonics

KilljoyXs avatar KilljoyX Yeah You Are 0Reply

Between 1995 and 2020 the internet has been growing leading to many innovations. There was more innovation than between 1970-1995

I think youre more looking for the comparison between 2010 and now isnt that big of a difference

The difference between 1995 and now is larger than the first computers

Tldfonats avatar Tldfonat Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Tldfonat I think youre more looking for the comparison between 2010 and now isnt that big of a difference The difference...

the difference between 2010 and now is actually really massive in terms of AI which is arguably the most important technology going forward

@LookAnAltAccount the difference between 2010 and now is actually really massive in terms of AI which is arguably the most important...

I wasnt saying there isnt a large difference, im just saying the difference between 1995 and now is much, much bigger

Historically, once enough information accumulates, the culmination is a big leap forward followed by some years of refinement. It is certainly possible that in the next 25 years we will solve fusion energy. If that happens, a world of innovation would happen rapidly. The innovations between 1970 and 1995 were the result of smaller innovations from previous decades. It is difficult to overstate how much the publication of the internet changed the world. However, it is ultimately a tool which has and will continue to result in more and more innovation.

I'd agree if we weren't on the cusp of an AI revolution.

Who said 'progress' is something good per se? And who said what's happening to humanity qualifies as 'progress'? :)