+152

"Immersive" games ruin gaming. amirite?

synthsexuals avatar Games
0 24
The voters have decided that synthsexual is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's pretty funny that you say it "ruins" gaming yet those are the biggest franchises 😂 combined it's easily over one billion in revenue and several rewards. It's okay to like mindless shooters and action packed games, but acting like that's "ruined" gaming is laughable. Video games are the next medium for story telling and I'm all for it.

SnooStoriess avatar SnooStories Yeah You Are +9Reply
@SnooStories It's pretty funny that you say it "ruins" gaming yet those are the biggest franchises 😂 combined it's easily...

That's why it ruins gaming (for me). Because all the big franchises are not even games any more.

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +3Reply

The difference in immersion between tf2 and tlou is quite different, plus none of the games you listed are good for immersion, get soma or another really immersive game.

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +9Reply

To me those are the opposite of Immersive (at least RDR2 which is the only one I have played)

Too many cutscenes and it feels like I am simply occasionally interacting with a movie.

To me, immersion is being able to forget this is a video game and just playing (which I often do and forget to save :P)

Tldfonats avatar Tldfonat Yeah You Are +9Reply

Plenty of non story games to play if that's what you're after. They aren't going anywhere

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +6Reply

Here's one even more unpopular:

People are stupid and need the story hand fed to them.

@Professor-kaoss Here's one even more unpopular: People are stupid and need the story hand fed to them.

is that supposed to refer to me? Cause i dont care at all about the story.

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +11Reply
@synthsexual is that supposed to refer to me? Cause i dont care at all about the story.

No it's not reffing to you -- i agree and you could have gone further.

Lordpewpews avatar Lordpewpew Yeah You Are +6Reply

Bruh TF2 has 7 chapters of comic lore, an extensive dressup aspect, and busy community servers. Sounds like you just don't like nicer graphics.

@Crazymotherfuker Bruh TF2 has 7 chapters of comic lore, an extensive dressup aspect, and busy community servers. Sounds like you...

Lol TF2 has lore? Where. I have 1000 hours and i don't even know why the teams are fighting. And don't tell me out of the game cause then that means its irrelevant.

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are 0Reply

I think this is a trash take. With the possible exception of Uncharted, all of these games have absolutely excellent gameplay and very engaging story. As for "ruining" gaming, I think it's quite the opposite. These are the tentpole games that get non-gamers to buy games and consoles, which leads to a wider audience and more games being made.

Sounds to me like you simply don't like 3rd person narrative driven games.

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +5Reply

Ah yeah, Odin forbid that people want to play story rich game. People play these because they like the story. Almost like a book, but where you are the main person and somewhat have the experience yourself!

If you want pvp games, then keep playing TF2.

Gangstacat4882s avatar Gangstacat4882 Yeah You Are +5Reply

Then don't play them.

then don't play immersive games

opensofiass avatar opensofias Yeah You Are +4Reply

If you don't like that style of game, don't play it.

Those styles of games don't "ruin" gaming any more than any other kind of game.

"Gaming" doesn't have to consist of only one style of game. Play what you like, let other people play what they like.

What are these acronyms?

I agree with you on most cases, but games like death stranding or pathologic use the futility of walking and doing monotonous tasks to tell a story in an interesting way. After all, are games always supposed to be fun? They are artworks as well after all, and monotony for the sake of a great story isnt a bad thing.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +4Reply

I'm so sick of the over use of the word "ruin" it didn't ruin anything. You don't want immersion? Don't play games that have it.

@tonywonderslostnut I'm so sick of the over use of the word "ruin" it didn't ruin anything. You don't want immersion? Don't play games...

It ruins gaming by making good old games disappear and making studios, especially exclusive, make cutscene yawnfests like TLOU

I agree, that's the reason I don't have any game from 2013 to now. I rather watch a movie than play a game where 60% are cutscenes

@browndog888 I agree, that's the reason I don't have any game from 2013 to now. I rather watch a movie than play a game where...

Then play indie games, youre missing out on great games like neon white or dead cells, or hell elden ring and the dark souls franchise, dont write off the entire game industry over a couple of popular games.

Balkany4Evers avatar Balkany4Ever Yeah You Are +7Reply

imo games with a lot of cutscenes are anything but immersive

@JoshByer2 imo games with a lot of cutscenes are anything but immersive

I said exactly this.

I don't see cutscenes or sequences where you have absolutely nothing to do but hit one key (randomly) as 'immersive' I see it as taking me out of immersion and reminding me I am playing a video game. Because all of a sudden I have to 'pull back' and hit keys I don't normally hit, and in a specific sequence/at the right time, instead of simply not thinking about moving and looking and fighting.