+123

Continuity in movies/tv shows should matter and be cared about more than it is. amirite?

Crazymotherfukers avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
0 13
The voters have decided that Crazymotherfuker is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Film continuity has nothing to do with writing

@Crazymotherfuker What do you mean?

Continuity in film is in the hands of directors, production designers, AD's. Some filmmakers even have a specific continuity specialist to make sure scenes and shots stay consistent.

Classicdry2232s avatar Classicdry2232 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Classicdry2232 Continuity in film is in the hands of directors, production designers, AD's. Some filmmakers even have a specific...

I think you may be thinking of something else. Continuity in narrative not like objects being in the right place etc.

@monsterallergies I think you may be thinking of something else. Continuity in narrative not like objects being in the right place etc.

Continuity, as it relates to film, involves everything involving time and space. Much like how "plot" in film terms is how the story is told, not the story itself.

xjinxxzs avatar xjinxxz Yeah You Are +5Reply

Do you have examples?

Yes, continuity is important. It is especially important for movies and tv shows that rely mainly on plot for entertainment. That, however, is not every show/movie. Who cares if there is a plot hole or discontinuity in a sitcom or comedy movie? Same with a romance movie or horror movie. Also minor discontinuities that are hard to spot are going to happen in every movie/show. Nobody's perfect and it is better to focus on making the show generally good than spending hours combing through footage to eliminate all little discontinuities and plot holes.

For movies and some TV, I agree, but for sitcoms it's not really a big deal. Before streaming, continuity didn't matter because episodes only aired once, but now with binging and streaming, errors in continuity are noticed

OP are you referring to canon continuity or visual continuity? E.g. Candle burnt to the right amount.

It matters. Basically if the writers mess with the canon too much it's insulting the fans by ignoring everything that came before to the point plots following this feel meaningless.

Depends on how serious of a tone the movie or franchise is.

I think this is true I also just think this has become an obnoxious thing to talk about cause edgelord reviews like Mauler focus solely on it to argue it's an objective criteria and more important than anything else, while simultaneously often misunderstanding events that make continuity correct.

But yeah, I do find myself really frustrates by continuity lapses. Specifically if the show references past events to build to other stuff.