Dominothe_pessimistalltellHeadless22SimbaDaleksInWonderlandktbainchanceyepic_fail11ilovecanadalipsx0fxdeceitChefleftieSeaChellepeace_love_happinessKimmidollFred_WeasleyAnnajoy97CaitlinTribuneBub

PalindromeIsMeChuckTom

gweethemetfanRaidenchelsamelsPeaceluvcas
You have wondered what language people who speak two or more languages think in, amirite?

Though I'm not English - not even very good at it - then I've started thinking in it very often. It is quite disturbing.

AnnaCovey AnnaCovey

My dads bilingual and he says when he's speaking Dutch he thinks in Dutch and when he's speaking English he thinks in English

HollandFTW

In response to “My dads bilingual and he says when he's...

Yep, that's when the person is truly fluent. If it's someone who isn't 100% fluent in both then they will think in their first language.
BTW good luck in the world cup, I'm supporting the Netherlands :)

Chromana

im bilingual as well. and i think in both the languages. mostly english though :P

iloveicecream

What I've always wondered, is what language they DREAM in

rice_is_my_hero rice_is_my_hero

In response to “What I've always wondered, is what language...

they say that the language you dream in is your most dominant language... i speak English & Spanish, and think and dream in English

obiprongs

In response to “ they say that the language you dream in is...

i'm bilingual too, i'm dominantly fluent in tagalog. but for a few months, after moving out for college, my dreams were silent. no one was speaking. i guess that's my brain's way of transitioning? haha

fortunecookiemonster fortunecookiemonster

Probably both...
I speak two languages.. And I USED to be fluent in both.
And one time I had a dream that would keep changing languages :P

bunnygal268 bunnygal268

funny you should say that...I'm bilingual (English and Slovak) and usually I think in English but in my dreams it's mostly Slovak.

NotACommunist NotACommunist

AnnaCovey AnnaCovey

In response to “Though I'm not English - not even very good...

Same here.It is quite weird.But it's probably because of the huge amount of english i see/use on the internet.

guci guci

I speak German and English, but the weirdest thing about it is that I think in fluent Chinese and understand it all. but I can't say anything in the language. When Chinese people talk to me, I give them weird looks. I also dream in French, but that's just me.

Anonymous

I guess…but mainly I wonder about what language people think in if they're deaf…

mbaqangaspaz mbaqangaspaz

In response to “I guess…but mainly I wonder about what...

deaf people, if they sign, think in sign language, just like people in america think in english. they're completely different languages

2ndsatchmo

In response to “deaf people, if they sign, think in sign...

That makes sense I guess

mbaqangaspaz mbaqangaspaz

same as people who were born blind. they d ream about hearing things, not seeing things

What I always wondered if noons knew Amy words, for anything at all, how would we think? Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Kinnz

I speak chinese and english, but i think in english, because I think I learned english first

Anonymous

My friend was brought up speaking Spanish - and just started learning English. When we asked her what language she thought in, she paused, and said English.

Anonymous

Wow I failed at spelling, stupid iPod. SORRY.
*if noone knew any words.

Kinnz

I'm bilingual, too. I speak both Arabic ( seeing as it's my native language) and English. Your post got me thinking, and I realized that when I speak in Arabic, I think in Arabic and the same goes for English. However, I asked my maid, and she said she thinks in her native language and then translates it! It sounds like a lot of work; she's not that bad at it, but not good either.

Reader Reader

I speak Chinese and English, and although I learned Chinese first, I think in English.

Anonymous

I'm bilingual in German and English. I was adopted when I was 8 and moved to the United states so I don't use German anymore, so I try to think in German so I wont forget it. My dreams are in either. English if I'm talking to people, German if I'm alone.

Anonymous

I'm fluent in Arabic and English as well, and regardless of if I'm alone or not, I think mostly in English and a little bit of Arabic. I have whole dreams in either English or Arabic, it varies (again, dominant language is in English. This is probably because I live go a western country and spend most of my day speaking and writing in English), and very rarely do I dream in both.

noon

Well I'm bilingual, I think in both Spanish and English depending what I'm thinking of same goes for my dreams.

Val

My native language is spanish, but I actually think in both english and spanish :)

mariiaaaaa

I know Chinese, English and Melayu/Malay
I dream mostly in Malay but sometimes I dream in English, but when my asian friend is in my dream, I talk Malay but talk Chinese when I talk to my asian friend (who's a bimbo and doesn't know English OR Malay just knows Chinese), In real life, I mostly speak Malay because not many people in my class is very fluent in English, but when I talk to my Asian friend, I speak Chinese, I think mostly in Malay, sometimes in English, but I'm VERY FLUENT in my English :) :) BEAT THAT! -Asian Teenager

ShioryKyoko ShioryKyoko

I think in both French and English, depending who I'm with, what language I'm talking and where I am. My dreams are in either, depending who's in the dream

Anonymous

I speak Spanish and English, Spanish being my first language. But after living in the U.S. for so long, after the first couple of years I started thinking in English, and according to my sleep talking, I dream in English also. My parents, however, haven't quite gotten the hand of English yet, so they tell me they think in Spanish and then translate it into English.

Anonymous