The_Enlightenedaustirockstwisted_memoriesanything_chocolatereddeadKatffromlpanda13lovemrhatandclogstroy2112TuckerStardust95scrantoncityraequinn101CharlesTGlittletankDevlan27TawnyRaedeathmetalchickkmxx1996CupcakeCrazythatsjustmiiegarcia22Hermione_Grangerirish_wristwatchMarthVaderrrABitDisconsolatefinch334ofaceirismae516Pedo_CatTheWeaselamusicalheartbrookeasaurali_dRedVinesErin3162SAGirltododapurplecowjellybeansruleCarmelFuzzyportraitofyoungBreakfastFanEmyKayceeT3canolisAwesomsaurus3000empiresJeLynnnkdizzle8488

jewel87Khayllaysestrada16LeoEckmansarrsberrySimz797KateYolemon9992TenaciousDmajadosteamy_pancakesdextinarimaXblueXcheetahXjskiingEpiskeyPMsmashleyagent_eclaireswimmer24100SpearmintMilkhahaimright

RichardShadePawOTGamerGirlegarcia22finch334somewhere_I_belongRashedhjo
The death penalty: Some argue that it would be greater punishment to make the prisoner wait life out in jail. But who does that really punish? The criminal, or the rest of society? People who spend life in prison don't magically **** out the funding they need to survive, they crowd the prisons, and that's just one more prisoner who has the chance to escape, amirite?

Personally, I don't believe in the death penalty. You make a good point, but It's original intent was to be served as a deterrent to crimes within a country or province. But data has shown that the death penalty almost never deters murders. There is also the other aspect in which it is said that families feel better or 'consoled' when their relatives murderer is killed. But many testimonies state that another killing did no justice to their family member who had passed. But I can't speak for EVERY family.

Also, it's important to note that the death penalty is much more exspensive, because of the law of haebeas corpus and the ability to appeal to higher costs. One execution can cost up to $2 million.

That's just my way of looking at it.

LeoEckman

I'm all for the death penalty, but only in extreme cases. Some people just shouldn't live, like serial killers :/

Anonymous

In response to “I'm all for the death penalty, but only in...

I don't like it how people say some people just shouldn't live.

Some people shouldn't, like serial killers, but i think of the death penalty as a way of putting people out of a miserable life from a mental illness like most killers have.

Anonymous

Ok you make a valid point, but I feel like being an **** and just saying no. You have a good day now

sestrada16 sestrada16

All murderers deserve the death penalty. They didn't show compassionate to the victim so why should we show it?

Just my opinion though... I'll probably be called a **** for this, oh well.

Richard Richard

In response to “All murderers deserve the death penalty...

Nothing ** about it, funny how no one calls the murderer a ** for randomly killing a person, amirite?

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

We should show compassion because we're better than that.

soccerfan soccerfan

In response to “We should show compassion because we're...

@434187But the thing is if they didn't show compassion, why should we? (The_Enlightened): You are right.

Richard Richard

But some have mental illnesses that render them unable to show compassion, and often they wouldn't even know what they've done. They can't really be blamed for that... Some others do have compassion, they just end up killing someone on the spur of the moment, say if they were drunk and/or fighting... They'd definitely regret it after...

I agree with you, if the murderer was cold-blooded, and had it all planned out, and didn't regret it after, then yeah, they deserve to die. Like most serial killers.

Though to me, it sounds kinda bad to say that anyone ever deserves to die, but then again, if they kill or torture innocent people without regretting it, then maybe they do deserve it...

Rainbow35

In response to “But some have mental illnesses that render...

Everyone pulls out the mental illness card! Did they forget to take thier meds? Don't have any help?

Anonymous

In response to “Everyone pulls out the mental illness card!...

Also a good point.

Rainbow35

I agree with you for the most part, but you have to remember that if they're mentally handicapped and don't realize what they've done, do you think they'll realize that we put them down? The reason why we punish people is so they learn their lesson and won't do it again. But what if they can't learn their lesson? If we only selectively punish murderers, then what good is having punishment in the first place?

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

I think its more of a punishment if they spend the rest of their years in prison...bored, lonely, just thinking of all the things they've done. Death would be too easy an escape. This is my opinion though.

Anonymous

In response to “I think its more of a punishment if they...

You make a very good point as well

Richard Richard

that's true but if you go to jails in these times they give murderers and rapists too much freedom. there are activities they can participate in like basketball and softball, or they can read a book or work in the kitchen. i think that's way too much for someone who heartlessly murderered another.

Anonymous

In response to “that's true but if you go to jails in these...

If it was indeed heartless.

Rainbow35

I've heard it's actually just as or more expensive to carry out the death penalty.

CapedCrusader CapedCrusader

how does anyone have the right to decide who should live and who should die? yes, you think that you are killing them for a reason, but the murderer murdered someone because they thought they had a valid reason too.

throughtherain throughtherain

In response to “how does anyone have the right to decide who...

You're right, but the murderer probably didn't kill the person for a good reason. Maybe he was trying to get into a gang. Maybe he was "settling" a drug deal. Maybe he was just bored. The point is, killing is like a treaty between two countries. If one country breaks its treaty and attacks the second country, is the second country going to say "Oh, well I have a treaty with you, so I still won't attack you"? No, it's going to fight back. And that's just what the government needs to do.

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

In response to “You're right, but the murderer probably...

I see your point, but once the criminal is caught, who are they hurting? If both options are costly, does it matter whether they spend the rest of their life in jail instead of being sentenced to death? There's still no way to undo what has already been done. I just don't see how taking another persons life can make anything better.

throughtherain throughtherain

In response to “I see your point, but once the criminal is...

I guess it's not really about punishing the criminal anymore, because nothing can make the situation any better. It's just a matter of "Okay, the world just doesn't want to deal with you anymore, so goodbye." And in theory, it would be cheaper to finish off the convict, but thanks to the good old fashioned American justice system, there has to be loads more clarification of guilt before you can kill someone, and lawyers aren't cheap.

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

What I've learned from personal experience and rather dramatic movies is that revenge is a double edged sword. Somewhere, someone will be upset that he was killed.

Read Change of Heart. It's actually very informative about the death penalty, and religion if you want to get into that.

Previously_Sane Previously_Sane

In response to “What I've learned from personal experience...

I just read that book! Loved it. Made me cry.

throughtherain throughtherain

because of the legalities behind the death penalty, it's actually more expensive to use it than to sentence a prisoner to life in prison.

http://www.deathpenalty.org/article.php?id=42

Anonymous

In response to “because of the legalities behind the death...

Thanks for posting that, anon. It was really an eye-opener.

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

OP , it's actually cheaper to let them rot in jail because of legal fees.

9876098 9876098

the death penatly would be stooping to the killer's level

softball_lover4 softball_lover4

That's just my way of looking at it.

LeoEckman

...depends.>>

kmxx1996

heh...i have a friend who keeps trying to persuade me why death penalty is needed, but if she actually knew how to argue a point like you do then i might agree with her...
its something to think about, all right.

chockoloco

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind... You shouldn't send a murderer to death because they were the cause of a death. Life in prison makes the prisoner think out the deeds they have done in solitary confinement, and I personally think it would have done a little more good for the killer to realize what he has done is wrong and forgive everyone that he has hurt in the time span of his life than die knowing he's a criminal and not knowing the importance of life by living it miserably.

rockerman1080

A lot of people don't know, but when someone is in prison they actually have a shitload of luxeries. They can have tvs, computers, cell phones and plenty of other things. So to say life in prison will be more of a punishment than death is not entirely true. There is a small amount of inmates that have no access to these luxeries, but the majority do. :/

anon

In response to “A lot of people don't know, but when someone...

If they are in for a serious crime, they do not have access to these luxuries. If they are in for petty crimes, they do though.

Anonymous

Very few prisons/jails allow cell phones or internet access. And having a TV doesn't really make up for spending your life in prison.

Anonymouse

In response to “Very few prisons/jails allow cell phones or...

They might not have access to technology because it requires compliance by the jail itself, but you can get access to almost anything in prison that you can get if you were out.

hjhkj

By choosing whether someone lives or dies, we play God and are no better than murderers themselves. It is not our decision to make. -shrug-

Originality_is_Dead Originality_is_Dead

In response to “By choosing whether someone lives or dies, we...

I totally agree.

Anonymous

You have a really good point, but I still think it's wrong to kill anyone, criminals or not.

NoPostOnSundays

petty crimes-jail. Serious-prison. The majority or people in prison have those luxeries. Even rapists and murderers. People in jails actually don't have the same luxeries. Kinda dumb. But true.

anon

The only way I can really justify the death penalty is by thinking about it not as punishment, but rather an assurance that that person will never have an opportunity to hurt anyone else. But I agree, it's a huge responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly.

Anonymous

hahaha **** out the funding.

Anonymous

For those who say it is cheaper to let them rot in jail, you're leaving out some crucial points-
Most murderers are in federal prison. They are the government's responsibility. If they get sick, they HAVE to get treated. They also get dental care.
Some guy on death got cancer, but still had to get the hundreds of thousands of dollars in treatment.
Sometimes it is cheaper, sometimes it isn't.

Anonymous

In response to “For those who say it is cheaper to let them...

It's true. The prison population has better healthcare than the average American.

soccerfan soccerfan

In response to “It's true. The prison population has better...

And that's very unfair. Why should we treat murderers?

Anonymous

In response to “And that's very unfair. Why should we treat...

Because the constitution or something says so.

soccerfan soccerfan

In response to “Because the constitution or something says so.

I believe it has something to do with them being the government's responsibility. They HAVE to take care of them.

Anonymous

People who kill are punished because they thought they can decide who lives, and who dies. The death sentence is hypocritical. If the criminal can't chose who gets to die, why should the government? Obviously what they did was wrong, but I think we have enough room to lock them up for life. The death sentence is sick and twisted, just like serial killers...

Anonymous

ha yeah, but why would they bother planning and risking their lives escaping when they're usually out after paying a fraction of their original sentence anyway. people sentenced to 'life' are out within 5 or 6 years because of corruption, overflowing jails etc.

Anonymous

In response to “ha yeah, but why would they bother planning...

Murderers sent to jail for life are not let out of jail in 5 or 6 years. It's ridiculous that you could even think that.

Anonymous

In response to “Murderers sent to jail for life are not let...

In Ireland they are.

Rainbow35

Idk where you're getting your info, but I have 3 imidiate family members that work in different prisons. Prison inmates have access to more than people outside have. Its sad, but the truth. And actually maybe it may be different in other states, I'm talking california though and that's how it is. I also have a bf that's been in and out of JAIL where they don't get those luxeries. When you're sentenced to prison you serve a minimum of 2 years. Jail has no minimum but whatever your actual sentence you only serve 2/3 of that time. I have a lot of personal experience with this stuff. :/

anon

In response to “Idk where you're getting your info, but I...

I really don't mean to butt in, but you're stupid as hell or not dumping his **** the first time he went to jail -_-

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

Oh something else prison inmates(even ones on death row or serving life) have is visits from their wife. I know the word but can't spell it lol but anyways it gives them 2-5 days out of their cell and in a house on prison grounds with their wife where they can do whatever. (Obvs there's some restrictions)

anon

Don't assume. He was in the passenger seat of his friends car when they wrecked. The friend in the back seat died. The guy that was driving (whose car it was) took off and said my bf stole the car. So. Grand theft auto. vehicular manslaughter. charges were dropped. But he still was in and out because of the retarded ness of the court systems.

anon

In response to “Don't assume. He was in the passenger seat of...

No offense, but you should have used the reply button...

Rainbow35

Maybe you should do some research. It costs more for lethal injection than life in prison for one person. Dipshit.

Anonymous

My opinion is'nt rock solid, it can lean one way or the other, but I don't think anyone anywhere has the right to dictate wether or not someone lives or dies.

Tatooli_Bug Tatooli_Bug

My phone doesn't let me use the reply button. Thanks.

anon

All of them **** democrats should get these death penalty in my opinin. Then America can be great agin

Ashie Triss

In response to “All of them **** democrats should get these...

(Ashie Triss): yeah, because your "opinin" means so much.

Anonymous

i will never condone killing any living person, regardless the reason

julieL julieL

In response to “i will never condone killing any living...

Hitler when he was alive? How about Osama Bin Laden? If we sat around during WWII not killing or fighting back, which side do you think would have won?

Anonymous

In response to “Hitler when he was alive? How about Osama Bin...

I don't agree with war

julieL julieL

In response to “I don't agree with war

I don't agree with war either, but do you at least support the troops?

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

In response to “I don't agree with war either, but do you at...

i don't really know, because on the one hand they knew they were going to have to take lives when they joined the military, but on the other hand they probably weren't aware the extent of their duties when they signed up, and a lot of them are probably very good people. but still they are murdering people, sometimes even innocent lives. i just don't know

julieL julieL

In response to “i don't really know, because on the one hand...

The way I see it, the walruses in suits in the government basically say "Alright, we're too arrogant to talk out our problems with other countries, so who wants to risk their life, endure living hell for possibly the next few years, take innocent lives, and join the military? If we don't get enough volunteers, we're just gonna draft your asses..." So that's why I stick firmly to my belief that if you don't stand behind our troops, you can go stand in front of them.

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP

In response to “The way I see it, the walruses in suits in...

But still, soldiers KILL people, they take their lives away from them, when it's not their choice to do it. Its nobody's choice to decide if someone else should die. I just can't get over that fact. Regardless how bad the people are who they are killing, its still murder. Thats just how i see it.

julieL julieL

Killing a person is never the answer. There's 2 paths a person could take. Revenge, or rehabilitation.

Revenge: A killer is made to suffer. Solitary confinement. 3 meals. Little to no excersise. Perhaps a journal to write in to prevent total mental breakdown. There could be worse, but that would raise costs, which seems to be your concern.

Rehabilitation: A much longer, much harder, much more expensive path. This means it will almost never be truly implemented fully because frankly the government wants to save as much money as they can. So, instead, they have what system they have now.

And this is just for normal cases. Bring insanity plees(spelling?) and mental health cases into the equation and we've got a big mess of money.

ShadePawOT

If your killing the killers, no matter what they did, you're saying that it's okay to kill people no matter what the circumstance. So aren't we being just as bad as them?

Anonymous

Its absolutley rediculous that there's cable in jail.

SpencerNewton

In my opnion, 1st degree murders should be put to death, but only if it is without a doubt true that they murdered someone.

TakeMeOrLeaveMeKT TakeMeOrLeaveMeKT

I disagree. Death penalties cost more than life in prison because you have to pay for all those lawyers and everything.

Death penalties are bad. Killing a murderer is like when a child hits you and you say "DON'T HIT!" and then you hit them back.

Atomic_Cow

Why can't you just put a bullet through the murderer's head instead of lethal injection?

nickelxeye

In response to “Why can't you just put a bullet through the...

Because that would be "inhumane"... my ****... Then again, I guess it makes cleaning up a lot easier.

The_Enlightened The_Enlightened OP