TaterGeoffShioryKyokolilypopDeath_WinkMy_Dinosaur_LifeSpainMakeLoveNotHorcruxesKayceeBig_BossItsElectriciammandaacciocaitlinMegantheAcrobatHayleyGSpearmintMilkHersheyslyzaailoveicecreamYankeeBastardFudgebucketthe_fresh_princedan94BlahHarenionTheMaineDestineepokerface111ledzeppelinfanDracoMalfoy_Pigfartsirish_wristwatchxoxokatelynaperfectsonnetMementoarmtheangelsMeganFrisbieFlyingPandaBlack_No_1LaurisaRysiaCompletelyAwkward7Ibetterberight007Hermione_GrangerBethanytheravenclawLovelyritaPalindromeIsMepeppers2Recalescencemoed0515strawberrybananaGoodVibrations

DramaGrl151whoopsidaisySnobbyDrugAddictUneeck42karlipawlakpigfarts_pigfartsRumbleroar38RayBabyshelbyam118LaestigZwillingxhopefulx1337fuustoleit

foxAsteriskithecatcherintherye
When people say that Obama is a communist, you begin to wonder if those people actually know what communism is, amirite?

They obviously don't.

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

The ratio of informed political opinions to regurgitated, ignorant blabbering on this site is like 500:1... at least.

Black_No_1 Black_No_1

... erm, that may have come off backwards. For those who are unclear, big number = clueless; little number = knows what they're talking about.

Black_No_1 Black_No_1

And people who say he's a socialist, too. Seriously. GOOGLE, PEOPLE.

Cameron

In response to “And people who say he's a socialist, too...

He's more socialist than communist. He does have some socialistic tendencies (e.g. forcing people to buy health insurance, taking over car companies) but he is not inherently a socialist.

VictoryAAC VictoryAAC

In response to “He's more socialist than communist. He does...

That's not socialism. Socialism doesn't involve a single figure that controls who buys what.

piratedicecream piratedicecream

In response to “That's not socialism. Socialism doesn't...

Socialism: a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole.

I'm sorry but having the government own car companies is clearly socialism.

VictoryAAC VictoryAAC

In response to “Socialism: a theory or system of social...

Way to look it up in the dictionary bud, but digest it before you regurgitate it.

"The vesting of ownership and control of the means of production" refers to the business owners that make up the community, not a single person.

If you study socialism, legitimately, as opposed to googling it, you'll find that socialism is market controlled by those that participate in the market, not by a higher figure.

Socialism: I make bread, you make butter, I can take your bread, and as much of it as I want, and you can take my butter, as much of it as you want.

THAT is socialism. Google and dictionary.com don't give all the answers.

As per your example, having government own car companies is not socialism and is more along the lines of an import-averse economy. Sorta like the one that Japan had in the mid 1900's till about 1980.

piratedicecream piratedicecream

In response to “Way to look it up in the dictionary bud, but...

That is the idea of socialism. That is not practical socialism. It's what people want to happen, but it's not what actually happens. Socialism *usually* involves the government controlling the wealth, so it is the government taking my bread and giving it to you, and the government takes your butter and gives it to me. (Think Zimbabwe.) In real life, the "community as a whole" does not mean you me and our neighbors. It means the government who supposedly represents the community as a whole.

Having the government own car companies is having ownership and control vested in the government, which is socialistic. Government is controlling the means of production (of cars).

VictoryAAC VictoryAAC

In response to “That is the idea of socialism. That is not...

No, in real life, the definition of socialism holds true. A socialist will push for the situations as defined by 'true' socialism, if you will. What you're referring to, this "what happens in real life thing" is not when the government takes control immediately, it's what happens to the government that was originally founded on socialism.

It's like, socialists push for the non-corrupted ideal socialism, not the corrupted one obviously. Eventually, however, the corrupted form you described where the government has control takes over, at which point it is no longer socialism, it has become a different form of government.

If someone is pushing for "government control" they are not pushing for "socialism"; that person is not a socialist. If he or she was, however to push for "socialism", and then later on corrupt the system and make it mediated by the government, that is a socialist in the real world.

(i'll continue in the next comment.)

piratedicecream piratedicecream

In response to “No, in real life, the definition of socialism...

In that case, I apologize. I was referring to the natural result of socialism, not the theory actual concept of socialism.

VictoryAAC VictoryAAC

The point: Obama isn't saying "People should receive free healthcare if they want it in exchange for their own services/products" (socialist) he's saying "You will have to pay (keyword, pay) for the free healthcare of others through taxes." (not socialism)

I, for one, see the socialist model as a much more reasonable solution than the one obama proposed. But I don't really care, my seven dollar an hour job isn't that impacted.

piratedicecream piratedicecream

I still remember the Tea Party rally videos of one half of the people calling Obama a Nazi, the other half calling him a Communist. Don't you just love America, where you are legally allowed, and at times encouraged, to abuse every single right that you are given?

I_Hate_Underscores I_Hate_Underscores

I really, really, don't like him, but he's not a communist.
He is a socialist [or, at least some socialist qualities], but he's not a commie.
People who call him a communist are almost as silly as people who think being "impeached" means "removed from office".

Katffro Katffro