JLovems-amber-626SpelingChampienMaitiuSextonMarlinDBNOamikaAznShadowMissAutumnFallEncore93Demonturkyc_DubislanderLazynezPedo_Catawesomesockscityoftheblindinglights27ohlookitsmattGolfWangIdling_Rocket_ShipMeapscene_Kidd12curiousmelucichRain96NinjaKittenBookworMcoolstoryPrincessDaisyjaygirl1Mack_AttackAnchored17StarGazerRemyHemingwayMaryKateBurnettLoveIsTheMovementjessica23BandgeekeggsMj1996MarySnorcackleTheCatalystSuzywaopersonThingydiddyphonefroyocharlieBeedleTheBardAndromedaFred_Weasleychiddybaangspareseconds

StealthAppleBlake11roysBlake11roysFavvkes_pi_calebRubenKihatebakasThatbitchDrewtsuperkeelimc2147

not_a_pizza
The whole "you use this math in real life" is a load of crap. The reason we're required to learn algebra is to strengthen our logical ability, which IS important in real life, amirite?

It's not a load of crap, a shitload of professions use math. Without math the world of technology would be nothing.

StealthApple StealthApple

You just controdicted yourself, like, 4 times in that sentence

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

In response to “You just controdicted yourself, like, 4 times...

I count 1. But yes, you're right.

JLove JLove OP

StealthApple StealthApple

That's what all my teachers say. "You're learning skills, not content."

Idling_Rocket_Ship Idling_Rocket_Ship

I agree with the second part, but not with the first. And not even full heartedly for the second part, since algebra is used a lot.

Anonymous

Numerous professions require advanced mathematics. And everyone will utilize their algebra knowledge at least once in their life, considering it's extremely simple and can be used in a wide variety of situations.

YeahIAm YeahIAm

I think geometry and algebra are helpful, but unless you're specifically going into a field that requires it, things like Calculus can't really be applied much. I know that some medical schools require you to take Calculus, but you won't really need it like you'll need Algebra. They use it to see which students can think the way Calculus requires you to, and they want smart people who can pass the class.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

In response to “I think geometry and algebra are helpful, but...

Uhhh.. you cant do Calculus without Algebra. Just like you can't read if you don't know the alphabet.

Anonymous

In response to “Uhhh.. you cant do Calculus without Algebra...

I'm aware. I'm taking Calculus. I'm just saying that I think SOME forms of math like Algebra are necessary, but the same does not go for Calc or Trig unless you're going into a profession that needs it. I can't see how I'm going to use Calculus in life like my teacher says. The majority of medical schools will accept college Algebra. It's only the top-notch ones that want Calculus, but it's really not necessary for a doctor or a lawyer to know how to find the anti-derivative.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

In response to “I'm aware. I'm taking Calculus. I'm just...

Oh oops I'm sorry, I just realized I must have read your comment too quickly because I thought you said you need things like Calculus, but not Algebra methods, which made no sense. Yeah, I'm taking Calculus too, and I agree that just the logic and understanding of the concepts of practical applications, like optimizing results and such, that is necessary to get good grades in such classes is indubitably useful.

Anonymous

In response to “Oh oops I'm sorry, I just realized I must...

No problem. The thing I can't get about Calculus is the conceptual part, so I wonder if If I'll get anything out of it. I'm fine with the finite formulaic stuff, though.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

Almost all occupations use math in some form, so no, the whole "you use this math in real life" is not a load of crap.

ihatebakas

wow...I have been slacking off on math for the past couple years....

I know it's to emphasize rationality but...it gets boring as **** lol

and i just review over it during the summer so...it's all good?

TalkingRice TalkingRice

Continue