• Topics:Music
  • Featured on the home page on Nov 5th 2010
  • Post Of The Day on Nov 16th 2010

Chapstickellephaba101ArinDeStructiondanceismyforeverPanicAtNeverlandMandii_SmithBT3059BoudicaiWeasleynatalieg10Oshin37Mollehcanadianiglooshattrick36reereeannabananapandaihatebakasI_Predict_A_RiotLadyleyleybugacidpopspeace_love_happinessMomo_Ihateusernames_AlexCarlileThePillowx4everxlove101dragonrider713AddyTheAwesomeFoShowheygoodlookin94BaconIsGoodForMeFrostehhBodaciousNoodlesnotjustanothergirlunicornjumperEduardVonBocklelander15DoodleSnickerEllyPhantilikepringlesJennaGeesugarbabyStwentytwoRaja82howwedanceInsanePPGNipperTheMaineDestineeInu_chanlESliE418laughingleah97

HopeImritetanman1212patmanduAchdulieberHeavens_HeroEmperorerrormark_stacilovesyouAnnDeevaiMasticateSmooth_CriminalTwoSpoonsJanae17patrickmajorahmadk19BananasSmellBadkylermcgeereddeadRainbowsBeltranLeyvalaikaMeandmycatKateussb123toetotoe

AlexusImWithCocoDurzoBlintmatt1337cmuffinmonkeyPulcherAbblesAyAmRightClaraAyyyPsamirasotoWooohoooalltellidolR21AlmostAlwaysRighthorseaholic96ladygagamonsterPatrick_StarForgottenMemoriesDerpinaMcDerpingtonKristensimpimKatKatKattinkerswiftjaydenmikayluhLacygeneBlackKeysmaddybombRachelisCoolishimjustmetheburningoneslululemonUhohxemilyPajamiesAbbey1990wittynamehere2cool2barkIEatRiceLoveismyweapon_x3iWeasleypinkparadise898JadedPlatypusmlpanda13Ibetterberight007MarthVaderrrKatjazzFideliusAmyChanMy_Dinosaur_Life
It's funny how most music today is about how much the guy wants to hook up with you, when all the Beatles wanted to do was hold your hand, amirite?

The Beatles wanted to dance with you too.

Anonymous

all though... i know at least one of their songs had to do with drugs...

sugarbaby sugarbaby

In response to “all though... i know at least one of their...

lucy in the skyyyy with diamonds.

Anonymous

In response to “lucy in the skyyyy with diamonds.

And "we all live in the yellow submarine"

sugarbaby sugarbaby

In response to “And "we all live in the yellow submarine"

Norwegian wood.

+Me

In response to “Norwegian wood.

(+Me): Norwegian Wood was about a lesbian, actually.

xxsandyy

Actually, the Beatles have said that song was inspired by a drawing by one of the Beatles's kids. Judging how open they are about the use of drugs in their songs, I'm pretty sure they aren't lying about that one.

Hector_Prynne

In response to “Actually, the Beatles have said that song was...

I totaly agree. Like "Happiness is a Warm Gun"

Treeleaf Treeleaf

I agree too.
It was like a picture the girl was drawing
and one of the Beatles was like
"what are those?"
and she said they were diamonds.

HugARock HugARock

In response to “I agree too. It was like a picture the girl...

You're retarded. It was one of their sons, he drew the picture about a girl in his class named Lucy.

afternooner

In response to “You're retarded. It was one of their sons, he...

that persons retarded for making a mistake?
or being misinformed or whatever?
wooooooow.

Anonymous

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could've sworn that song was based on a drawing Julian made about a friend of his named Lucy.

karlipawlak karlipawlak

Fun fact: While most of their songs in the latter of their career were written on drugs, none of them were about them.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “Fun fact: While most of their songs in the...

Lucy in the sky with diamonds O.o?

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

In response to “Lucy in the sky with diamonds O.o?

Common misconception, and the only one that's really debatable. John says it was written about a picture his son drew of a girl he liked, named Lucy. He brought home a picture, and said it was Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Lucy and Julian (his son) have confirmed this. Paul, who had nothing to do with writing it, later said it was about LSD. I, personally, believe John.

shorkian shorkian

Is that you, Rose?! ... Oh, but I swear, my friend and I were JUST talking about this.

DoodleSnicker

In response to “Is that you, Rose?! ... Oh, but I swear, my...

HEY!!!! I KNOW WE WERE LIKE JUST TALKING ABOUT THIS!

Rose

Anonymous

In response to “The Beatles wanted to dance with you too.

aww beat me to it lol

wittynamehere wittynamehere

I love "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" :)

the book though, not the movie

conzrad

In response to “I love "Nick and Norah's Infinite...

that book is the best 200 something pages ive ever read

ladygagamonster ladygagamonster

And then they want to do it in the road. But yeah. Music can be pretty provocative these days.

Button_Mushroom Button_Mushroom

Funny how there was old Southern country songs about killing black folk when today we have black folk shooting others.

This is what your post came out as to me. Same shit, different wording and beat.

Camallunt

WHOA, we were just discussing this is gym today!! Are you in my gym class?? O.o

Your_Average_Zebra Your_Average_Zebra

To be fair, Please Please Me (which was recorded earlier than I Want to Hold Your Hand) was about oral ****...

xxsandyy

In response to “To be fair, Please Please Me (which was...

What is wrong with people? "Please, Please Me" is not about oral **. It was about relationships, and a response to songs about **. Since those were the norm in rock and roll then, they wanted to prove it can be different and still popular, only the only expected popularity in England.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “What is wrong with people? "Please...

Well, excuse me for reading interviews with the people who wrote the song.

xxsandyy

In response to “Well, excuse me for reading interviews with...

Do you know how many forged interviews there are with bands as big as them? When you've watched as many documentary/ audio interviews as me, then you'll have some credibility.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “Do you know how many forged interviews there...

I promise you, I've seen as many documentaries and heard as many audio interviews and listened to as many radio shows with George Martin as I can physically get a hold of. Since you seem to think you are the grand authority on all things Beatles, let's just agree to disagree.

xxsandyy

In response to “I promise you, I've seen as many...

I can assure you I am, in fact, the grand authority on all things Beatles. I know more about the band than Ringo, as I have proven. And I know enough about them to know that George Martin and Pauls post- Beatles comments on Beatles song origins can be shaky at best.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “I can assure you I am, in fact, the grand...

There is just no pleasing people like you. I always find it so disheartening when Beatles fans are so unloving and mean. If you think that you can convince me that you know more than I do, be my guest; I honestly do not care. I offered a solution to our problem. Like most songs, Please Please Me is open to many different interpretations. If you can't civilly take my solution, then I am truly sorry at the state of the human condition nowadays. This is my last comment on the issue, and I wish you a good life.

xxsandyy

In response to “There is just no pleasing people like you. I...

Dont try this "be the bigger man" crap on me. The beauty of their music stems from the countless interpretations. I'm always having friendly talks with strangers and friends alike about what a song could mean. My problem with you comes from two places. The first being your awful thoughts about what is really a pure song. As I said, their music could mean anything, so this wouldn't bother me if you didn't think that was the intention. Agreeing to disagree only works when one side isn't entirely disgusting and wrong. As for your personal attacks, I'm actually a very kind and loving man, even to the point of greatly disadvantaging myself.I live by a very strong moral code, and it is such that mkes you, some random person on the internet, worth writing these lengthy replies to.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “Dont try this "be the bigger man"...

Why the hell are you guys fighting about this? Music is not about whos right and whose wrong. All songs have different meanings to different people. Do you think the Beatles wanted to cause fighting? Honestly...

THEnarwhal THEnarwhal

In response to “Why the hell are you guys fighting about...

What they wouldn't want is one of their only purely innocent songs to be slandered. there has only been one song John has EVER written without an iron clad meaning, but he often keeps the true meanings of his music quiet, to allow his fans to find their own artistic visions, not this filth.

shorkian shorkian

Ever heard the song "Why don't we do it in the road"?

hithisisthomas hithisisthomas

In response to “Ever heard the song "Why don't we do it...

That song wasn't really that dirty if you know it's origins.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “Enlighten me?

It was written when Paul saw two monkeys. Doing it. In the road. He thought it would be great to be more casual about **, like animals, and that it' didn't need to be so taboo. It wasn't as much about ** as it was society's immature attitude towards it.

shorkian shorkian

In response to “It was written when Paul saw two monkeys...

That is actually awesome.

hithisisthomas hithisisthomas

"Polythene Pam" on the other hand...

Treeleaf Treeleaf

All these comments confused the hell out of me talking about playlists, doin it in the road, gym class, some person named Rose and a yellow submarine.. ANYWAYS.. yes I think its cute, and pretty funny :)

ilovethomas

Ahem, they also wanted to "do it in the road"

Anonymous

http://www.amirite.net/232941
this is basically a wordier clone of this here POTD, amirite?
i mean it's a brilliant post but shouldn't the POTD be the post that came first?

Ross Ross

In response to “http://www.amirite.net/232941 this is...

Well he or she still got high ratings also, so it's all good brah.

bro

This post has better grammar though :S

EarI EarI

and the temptations just imagined the relationship was happening :) those were better times.

Batman Batman

1. What the hell is wrong with songs about **? A lot of them may be awful, but it's not the ** that makes them that crap, it's the people that write them.
2. The song itself may be completely innocent, but the Beatles weren't. In fact they were pretty huge manwhores a lot of the time.

Applescruff Applescruff

In response to “1. What the hell is wrong with songs about...

sure they did drugs, that was what was cool in the 60s and it's not like they were harmful drugs like today. They weren't 'manwhores'. Do you have any proof?

Kate Kate

In response to “sure they did drugs, that was what was cool...

They just were, it's well known that they slept around, especially John. In fact it was a large part of why George's first marriage broke up. I may have been exaggerating by using the word "manwhores", but to be honest I was trying to have a bit of a laugh about it. It's not exactly the most important thing in the world to be debating is it?

Also, I never actually mentioned the drugs and have no problem with any of the stuff they did in that sense

Applescruff Applescruff

In response to “They just were, it's well known that they...

John was married. Then he got divorced nd was married to Yoko. I can't say much for George, but you can't honestly say that there aren't any guys who do that now.

Kate Kate

In response to “John was married. Then he got divorced nd...

I'm not even sure what you're talking about any more =/

Applescruff Applescruff

Well to me, songs about ** are kind of obnoxious and annoying. ** is a very intimate thing that should remain between two people that love eachother. For instance.. ever heard the song Rude Boy by Rihannah? It's a catchy tune, but read the lyrics. COMPLETELY innaproptiate.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “Well to me, songs about **** are kind of...

I guess it's just a personal preference, I don't mind them generally, but there are ones that I find inappropriate too.

Applescruff Applescruff

Yeah I bet you one of 'em was thinking of that song while **** a groupie in a hotel room.

LAKERSoverHEAT LAKERSoverHEAT

I love that song- it's so innocent :) All he wants to do is hold your hand, but not anything innapropriate... yet ;)

just kidding :P

Lucy In The Sky

I'm having deja vu.

SillyBanana SillyBanana

I must know the person decided this would be POTD! I LOVE YOU!

just kidding

Kate Kate

WHY IS THIS POTD!!!

i had to say it before anyone else, i actually like it.

POOP

In response to “WHY IS THIS POTD!!! i had to say it before...

(****): It's not cool to do this any more.

Chromana

In response to “(****): It's not cool to do this any more.

There was a time when it was cool?

WryVendor WryVendor

Lies

Ringo Starr

This made me smile. :)

Bre

Quality POTD.

Anonymous

I believe it said, "I want to touch your Paaants."

Box Box

In response to “I believe it said, "I want to touch your...

bahaha(: me too. me too.

TheGrapist TheGrapist

^lmao @ box

But shorkian person...you're quite full of yourself. "lmao the probablility that I know more than anything about everything the beagles ever did is more than propably certian! I know how many breaths ringo took on the 5933th day of his life and how many times paul sneezed during his last concert!"

I hope you know, no one really cares. At all. So stfu and get over yourself and the fact that songs are kent to be left open to interperatation. I doubt the Beatles would care if some random people thought their song was about oral ****. They had billions of dollars, they couldn't give a shit.

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

In response to “^lmao @ box But shorkian person...you're...

That's what I'm saying. These people who are like "OMG I'M THE BIGGER FAN" "NUH UH I'M THE BIGGER FAN" are irritating. Just shut up and enjoy the music, I mean damn.

WryVendor WryVendor

Beatles** beagles... WTF?

SOFTBALL8 SOFTBALL8

It's not like the beatles were that great anyway.

All they did was do acid and write music that sounds like what you would hear when you were high on acid. They're overrated.

Coday Coday

In response to “It's not like the beatles were that great...

your face is overrated..

TheGrapist TheGrapist

In response to “your face is overrated..

My face was never rated. It can't be overrated.

Coday Coday

In response to “My face was never rated. It can't be overrated.

your face was never rated...

TheGrapist TheGrapist

You're so **** retarded

afternooner

In response to “You're so **** retarded

I'm the retarded one? I said people don't rate my face, they act like a child and say retarded things that don't make sense, and i'm the one who is retarded? No sir, You're the one who is retarded. Learn things, then you can act like a complete dickfag.

Coday Coday

In response to “I'm the retarded one? I said people don't...

Grow up, ****

Gus

In response to “Grow up, ****

How am i not the grown up one? I'm the only one acting older than 4 years old. You're a terrible troll.

Coday Coday

your face isn't the grown up one...

TheGrapist TheGrapist

In response to “your face isn't the grown up one...

That is exactly what i'm talking about :/ ...

Coday Coday

Honestly I've never really been that crazy about them either. Compared to other music of the time, there was so much more going on! I'm not saying that they're bad, but I've personally never been able to listen to one of their songs all the way through and feel like I've enjoyed it.

I bet most of the people who voted you down don't even listen to The Beatles regularly. They just think it's sacrilegious not to be absolutely in love with a band so old and so legendary. :/

WryVendor WryVendor

In response to “Honestly I've never really been that crazy...

Anyone who has even attempted to listen to the Beatles knows for a fact that some of their most popular songs were no where close to their best. Honestly, just listen to a couple different albums (they're more diverse post '66 it seems) and you'll realize it. And if you ever watch interviews or live concerts of them you'll see how their personalities make them cool.

Anonymous

In response to “Anyone who has even attempted to listen to...

I'm willing to give them a second listen; I have by no means listened to them extensively. Would you recommend any song(s) in particular?

WryVendor WryVendor

In response to “I'm willing to give them a second listen; I...

Come Together, Something, It Won't Be Long, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Yesterday, Nowhere Man, and Ballad Of John and Yoko are really good ones to start with I think :D

shmad shmad

In response to “Come Together, Something, It Won't Be Long...

Yesterday is a beautiful song. I cry everytime I hear it :')

Chapstick Chapstick OP

Omg, I just had to come back to this comment to say you were right! I downloaded The White Album and Abbey Road and they're pretty good! Glad I gave them another listen. :)

WryVendor WryVendor

In response to “Omg, I just had to come back to this comment...

That's so awesome of you!! :) I'm glad you liked them! Revolver is another sweet album if you're interested haha. Once you get into them you realize that they have so much to offer and songs that appeal to all different people.

shmad shmad

Umm I do believe that they were all about 35 years old when they wrote a song about "holding hands" with a 17 year old girl. 17. Not 18 but 1 year under the legal age to have **** with someone that is 18 years old or older

dealtorfer dealtorfer

In response to “Umm I do believe that they were all about 35...

Maybe they were writing about holding hands with a 17 year old girl when THEY were 18. :) Teenage love is a beautiful thing.

mchristie mchristie

Nice use of the "making up facts" technique.
The song was released in November 1963 in the UK. That put McCartney at 21 years old.

Chromana

Nick a Nora<3
:D
Oh! And The Beatles<3
hehe

BringMiaTheHorizon BringMiaTheHorizon

In response to “Nick a Nora<3 :D Oh! And The...

thatbook is amazing, i always think of it when people mention this song :)

ladygagamonster ladygagamonster

*Sigh* repost!

lawlolawl lawlolawl

*Sigh* repost!

lawlolawl lawlolawl

In response to “*Sigh* repost!

Wow. Repost squared.

SpelingChampien SpelingChampien

Obscene songs are nothing new, it's just that only recently have obscenity been recorded and released commercially. Here are a few lines of a song Jelly Roll Morton recorded for the Library of Congress in 1938, in the same style that had been performed for decades:

"Come here you sweet **, let me get in your drawers. I'm gonna make you think you're ** with Santa Claus"

"Tell me baby don't you like the way I grind, If you do let me get a little from behind."

"Throw you legs up like a church steeple, so I can think I'm **** all the people"

"You're the fuckingest ****, yeah baby, I've ever met"

LewisL LewisL

In response to “Obscene songs are nothing new, it's just that...

I wish Elvis sang this song.

Chromana

I feel like the only teen these days who doesn't like The Beatles..get over them.

Anonymous

In response to “I feel like the only teen these days who...

get over eminem or whatever crap music you listen to. And I use the term music lightly, extremely lightly.

Kate Kate

In response to “get over eminem or whatever crap music you...

Why do you assume he or she listens to crap just because he or she isn't into The Beatles? Are the sole creators of good music in the world, now?

WryVendor WryVendor

In response to “Why do you assume he or she listens to crap...

@783017 (WryVendor): I never said everyone else's music is crap. Just most of today's 'artists' are crap. The sad thing is that most of todays people say they were inspired by the Beatles

Kate Kate

In response to “@783213 (Anonymous): @783017 (WryVendor): I...

He said that The Beatles such, and you automatically told him to "get over" whatever "crap" music he listens to. How is that not saying that everything else sucks?

WryVendor WryVendor

You people act like The Beatles are the best thing ever and they're really not. I don't listen to Eminem but if you look at most of his lyrics they're far more revolutional than The Beatles. Sure they were cool in the 60s but they're dead now and their music is nothing special.

Anonymous

So you're saying anything but the beatles is crap? (note im not capitalizing "the beatles" Because frankly, they haven't shown me they deserve it.) David bowie is my personal favorite artist. He is a great artist who still makes music, even though he started in the 60's. He has a song with john lennon. But he was never in the beatles, so you must think he sucks major ****.

Coday Coday

And I quote: Why don't we do it in the road?
;)

roan_aala roan_aala

Happiness is a warm gun...well in England...happiness is pronounced sort of without the h. Say it for yourself, with a english accent.

Anonymous

In response to “Happiness is a warm gun...well in...

You make no sense. In any accent.

mehface

100th comment!!!
But really, I miss the good ol' days when music had meaning other than clubbing ****... and I wasn't born yet, but still.

Anonymous

Just saying, the Beatles are now FINALLY on iTunes. :)

BeatleBabe BeatleBabe

In response to “Just saying, the Beatles are now FINALLY on...

I KNOW! It makes this POTD soooo much better.

bluegoddess bluegoddess

Years after everyone probably already just went out and ripped the CDs or pirated the albums, lol.

WryVendor WryVendor

In response to “Years after everyone probably already just...

Yeah, I know. It's a shame haha. I already have the album my iPod. But it's ncie to finally see it up anyways.

BeatleBabe BeatleBabe

In response to “Yeah, I know. It's a shame haha. I already...

I'm thinking it will still sell pretty well, anyway, since a lot of fans will buy it again for support and lot of the younger generation today are getting into them again.

WryVendor WryVendor

In response to “I'm thinking it will still sell pretty well...

Exactly. I'm really happy kids my age and younger can appreciate talented artist like the Beatles. They're really my obsession, haha.

BeatleBabe BeatleBabe

Very Unoriginal.

kylermcgee

Akon sang a song called "Hold My Hand"......

reddead reddead

In response to “Akon sang a song called "Hold My...

Well of course I'm not talking about every single song. But you have to admit, the hefty majority is about ****.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “Well of course I'm not talking about every...

I don't know. I just thought it was strange that you gave that example when there is a song just called that.

reddead reddead

It's not funny, it's sad. It's like almost (note, almost) all of the new songs are about ****, drugs, or just lyrics without a particular meaning. 8(

Alexus Alexus