Chapstickmchalla3Hectic_GlowSex_With_A_SnailshelbybuckffsSupNotACommunistIm_so_bored_so_byeLittleRedim_good_nope_im_godMeredithMinteeMeerkatSEXY_BEASTJediLynxjiggles117shockk36j3llomas3r21BoufakanotjustanothergirlSobriquetvivaciouspancakesthesecretsout_sophieJayzeericeftwsillyericayesyouareriteinshanitySienaIsTheeNameDetectiverockstarrukiaveggiecatT3canolisAbbyyyLittleMissSlytherinHotFudgeSundaeRichtofenDempseyNiceBoulderLalaLoopsieStefInWonderlandStalkingPineapplepeace_love_happinessfrozensocksBethanytheravenclawChristle1998LolableDURNPARPWP32LibbyPaigeAtotallyawesomeginger

NinjaMontanaLolitaUnicornsSaigotyeahyeahlivexlaughxlove1OlsoncrazyllamasTruuninjaTheGrammaratorshootingstar62bubblybiondelloHpisfrickingawesomeeatingsunshineHayleyinnocentbunnysabcd1234zoophiliaElizzzYamiAmyRoadRunnerFleebaYapperdoodlesGnomebodysteelerman113srm27520harrypottercomputerClay_notsurewhattohaveasausernameswmmrgrlVictoryAACBromeosteffanyasdijojioiojioxjimnotaskingCadywompusFlipFlopsAndSocksFunnyplantsRandalionAveragePantsreb1002Amish_Allosaurusredoyetakpbody21LkunmalexirexxiliketurtlesxxbowchickabowowJohnPlaysGuitar

wittynameherefEMMAnistbluedreamLovelyLexie007rockstarrukia
Regular school should end at grade eight, because by then you've learned all of the math and reading that you'll really ever need. Highschool should be more focused preparing you for real life instead of all that chemistry and algebra nonsense, amirite?

That's what college is for.

steelerman113 steelerman113

W-WHAT? NO PHYSICS? BLASPHEMY!

mchalla3 mchalla3

In response to “W-WHAT? NO PHYSICS? BLASPHEMY!

All of the classes you're required to take in highschool are kind of a waste of time.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “All of the classes you're required to take in...

cough SOCIAL STUDIES cough cough cough

mchalla3 mchalla3

In response to “cough SOCIAL STUDIES cough cough cough

It's always good to know background knowledge about your own country, if not every other. It might not be necessary to go into aspects of neocolonialism provided by Gordon Wood concerning Abraham Lincoln and that whole era, but social studies isn't a waste of time for the most part.

Julian Julian

In response to “It's always good to know background knowledge...

I agree. I shouldn't have said ALL required classes are a waste of time. U.S history is actually one of my favorite subjects. In just saying all te ridiculous math and science classes should be optional. If you're looking into a career that would use math and science skills, take them as an elective. For everyone else, it's kind of a waste.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “I agree. I shouldn't have said ALL required...

I think anatomy and details of the basic processes of life should still be included =X and for math, learning simple trig is pretty easy once you recognize the patterns.

Julian Julian

In response to “I think anatomy and details of the basic...

You have an anatomy class? Is that like health?

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “You have an anatomy class? Is that like health?

Nope. It's just part of the bio class I'm taking. It comes hand in hand with the functions of the body, the different cycles, body systems, etc. We don't focus on anatomy though.

Julian Julian

In response to “Nope. It's just part of the bio class I'm...

Well that sounds pretty cool. I mean if it's something you're into, you should totally go for it. Im just saying you shouldn't be forced to take a class that you absolutely know you won't be needing.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “Well that sounds pretty cool. I mean if it's...

I kinda think it should be common knowledge how your body works to a certain degree, at LEAST where the important stuff is and the basics of how it works =/

Julian Julian

In response to “I kinda think it should be common knowledge...

Well yeah, the basics. I mean if you don't know what makes you work, how are you expected to keep it working?

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “Well yeah, the basics. I mean if you don't...

Exactly. I know a lot more about the things I'm eating too, though I can see we both agree to whatever extent =P

Julian Julian

I don't think that all of them are. If you were getting open heart surgery, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want someone with an 8th grade education preforming it.

Ninja Ninja

In response to “I don't think that all of them are. If you...

Last I knew most heart surgeons don't come straight from High school like the poster is talking about.

Dempsey Dempsey

Well that's what you go to college for. You wouldn't want someone with a basic highshool education performing surgery either..

Chapstick Chapstick OP

Why would anyone upvote this stupidity?

Anonymous

In response to “Why would anyone upvote this stupidity?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

My favourite subject is religion. I think we need it, it's not a waste of time.

Montana Montana

In response to “My favourite subject is religion. I think we...

I go to public school.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “I go to public school.

I go to a catholic school. So it's the norm pour moi.

Montana Montana

In response to “I go to a catholic school. So it's the norm...

Religion is your favorite subject? Good luck in the real world cause praying isn't going to do SHIT!

Dempsey Dempsey

In response to “Religion is your favorite subject? Good luck...

I was gonna go apeshit on you, but then I was like "OH! It's dempsey!"

Montana Montana

Hahah, Hebrew Scriptures is my favorite class. I have this fantastic teacher. She's all sarcastic and spends half the class telling us about her day. It's amazing.

meysenburger meysenburger

In response to “Hahah, Hebrew Scriptures is my favorite...

my religion tacher is a pushover. he gave us every single question on the exa, two weeks before, AND THE ANSWERS. I got a 98.5.

Montana Montana

In response to “my religion tacher is a pushover. he gave us...

Yes, must be very hard to remember who made up a **** story and who killed who cause GOD told him..mhm yep.

Dempsey Dempsey

I go to Catholic school as well, it's my joke class... 98 average and I don't even put a fraction of the effort I put into other classes...

Anonymous

I completely agree with this post, because I think social studies falls into the category of preparing for real life.

LittleRed LittleRed

In response to “I completely agree with this post, because I...

But, depending on what you're going to do with your life, all of the subjects can. If you want to be a translator or travel, it might be smart to take an extra language. If you want to become a carpenter, you might not need it as much. So, isn't it most logical to give people a chance to try everything?

Ninja Ninja

Math is not totally pointless. If you want a good job, chances are you'll be using higher level math sometime.

crazyllamas crazyllamas

This sounds a lot like socialism to me...

pikabeau pikabeau

my school ends at 8th grade IN FACT my school system goes like THIS Kindargarden through 4th 5th through 6th and 7th through 8th and then 9th through 12th. 4 schools not counting pre-K

Anonymous

In response to “my school ends at 8th grade IN FACT my school...

What do you mean it ends in 8th grade? No offense, but you pretty obviously just said that there's 9th through 12th.

Ninja Ninja

In response to “What do you mean it ends in 8th grade? No...

I think the school that he/she attends goes up to 8th grade. My old school went from Pre-K all the way up to 8th. It was both a middle and elementary school. Then, when you finish 8th, you go to a high school.

LalaLoopsie LalaLoopsie

In response to “I think the school that he/she attends goes...

Ohhhhh :] Isn't it like that at most schools?

Ninja Ninja

In response to “Ohhhhh :] Isn't it like that at most schools?

I'm not sure, districts are different. I went to a different school that just went up to 5th grade, also one that went up to just fourth grade, then another school that goes up to 6th grade. o_O

LalaLoopsie LalaLoopsie

That's what college is for.

steelerman113 steelerman113

In response to “That's what college is for.

i was just thinking that haha, i was gonna post that...but you beat me to it(:

malexire malexire

No God pleas no. I did not know anything about anything at the end of eighth grade, and I had a 4.0 throghout middle school. If school ended at eighth grade the results would be disastrous. Jobs in the modern world are requiring more and more education across the board, not less.

wobbuffet wobbuffet

In response to “No God pleas no. I did not know anything...

I don't mean just throw kids into the world after eighth grade. Highschool would still exist, just tailored to the kind of classes that you as an individual think you'll most likely need to start the rest of your life.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

I agree, it's important to know sociAl studies to some extent, but will knowing the causes of the civil war help you get a job as a psychologist?

mchalla3 mchalla3

The required classes that I need to take at my school are RIDICULOUS. I want to get a job in the CIA, but I have to take Music Appreciation, Ceramics, and Calculus? (lolwut)

Big_Boss Big_Boss

I wish they would go more in depth on how to balance a check book, all the finical stuff. Work on speeches,etc

trailmix6

School is just fine the way it is. There are a lot of important things you learn in grades 9 - 12.
Learning about life is something you have to do on your own, you can't be taught. Imagine if teachers taught you about life based on their own personal beliefs. You'd be confused and not be able to think for yourself.

silvershadow6 silvershadow6

I had no idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life at the end of middle school.

Luffy Luffy

In response to “I had no idea what I wanted to do with the...

You had no interests or preferences? I find that hard to believe.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “You had no interests or preferences? I find...

Interests and preferences change, especially during adolescence. I don't think a young teenager should be required to chose his or her career path at such an early age.

Luffy Luffy

In response to “Interests and preferences change, especially...

I don't think you're quite understanding what I'm saying. You're not throwing an eighth grader into college. It's still highschool, just with a little more freedom to make it what you're more interested in learning.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In response to “I don't think you're quite understanding what...

I do understand what you're saying, but i still think that someone so young would be responsible enough to make those types of decisions. At the very least there should be a general studies schedule for those students who haven't quite found what they are interested in.

Luffy Luffy

In response to “I do understand what you're saying, but i...

If you're uninterested in education, or don't know which route you'd like to take, sure, take the basic courses. For those who know what they're interested in should be able to follow that path and start learning as soon as possible.

Chapstick Chapstick OP

In my state a law was recently passed requiring students to take 4 years of math and of science. That means every high school student is required to take at least Pre-Calculus and at least one advanced science class (adv. physics, adv. bio, or adv.chem). Such stringent laws on the requirements of every students' education doesn't allow them to get the education that they need for THEIR lives.

Let's face it, this generation of parents are FAILING to teach their children how to eat healthy, cook, clean, manage their money, or how to live on their own at all.
I'd love to see schools teaching children the chemistry behind why you don't throw water on a grease fire, place glass jars of liquid in the freezer, or mix cleaning solutions when you're scrubbing the shower.

I'd love to see schools teaching children the math that allows them to make better financial decisions, such as the difference between this interest rate on a 10 year loan versus that interest rate on a 30 year loan.

hjo

In response to “In my state a law was recently passed...

YES! That's what i think too! And also like what OP is saying; we need to have our schooling more tailored to us and what we are going to do in life (but maybe with a fallback or 2). I really think they just need to change the school system entirely (or just a lot). And also, they should teach foreign languages and things that are harder to learn later in life in elementary school, and just like continue it as the years go by (just basics; like i live in Texas, so it would be a good idea to learn basic Spanish (but i'm smart and decided to take French instead -.- i wish i could go back and take Spanish))
Yeah... rant over, lol.

wittynamehere wittynamehere