michellexbxGolfWangStage3_UnicornJackCheeseFrostey21StickCavemaniguessiamannonymousmacandcheesemuncherrrw070193Ram27sanjna_xxCabbyfan24suketkscene_Kidd12DoctorFakekatieestumblessmorgasboardglowDijanaZmirofuustoleitThatOneNutSherlockedsydpinkniemann2006alidoodle23pinkcheetah11_Z_beatgoesonsaywhenpinkbubbles192GeorginaliceFavvkesraequinn101DannigirlCakeAndSodomysuperbobbleWescatbutterfly614toolwaterpaynetingHey_ThereStealthApplemadibJoe_LarsonCherrieBeeshshsharanyossarianKirstenAnnKyRoCoExcuseMyCharisma

canditoeldoritoUnicornsBring_Me_FRITOSmonstrosityAxolotltheham322Vegan_GryffnDorkPurpleGumDropmashCapedCrusaderChuckTom

anime_serenaCBbasketballIrish_WolffiLikeToNomNicktazNicholasMariesanjna_xxawesomeperson241PenguinsRevoltBun10
Sometimes your English teacher analyzes the book probably more than the author intended, amirite?

"The curtains were blue."
What the english teacher think he meant: "The curaints represent his immense depression and lack of will to carry on."
What the author meant: "The curtains were **** blue."

Yea this stuff pisses me off aswell :p

StealthApple StealthApple

William Faulkner said if you can find it, he probably meant it.

ThatOneNut ThatOneNut

"The curtains were blue."

Yea this stuff pisses me off aswell :p

StealthApple StealthApple

In response to “"The curtains were blue." What the...

Personally, I think that's a pretty stupid thing to say.

A good author isn't going to include a useless detail just for the hell of it. S/he isn't going to say that the curtains were blue if there's no plot-driven purpose for it.

Colors can be incredibly important for symbolism in writing. For example, in 'A Streetcar Named Desire', Tennessee Williams specifically makes a point out of how Blanche always wears white. It isn't because it's a pretty color--it's because white is a symbol of purity.

monstrosity monstrosity

In response to “Personally, I think that's a pretty stupid...

or, the author could be, what's it called? describing a scene for further clarification to the reader and to enhance his or her imagination? yeah, it's a weird technique, but not unheard of

avadakedavra

Fitzgerald does it in the Great Gatbsy a lot as well. Think about the girls who always wear gold, Gatsby's bright yellow car, the green light at the Buchanan's pier: it's full of color symbols for money.

Edith Wharton does it as well in the Age of Innocence. I can't believe that it's a mistake to make the "innocent" character always wears white and is fair with blonde hair, while the less-than-innocent character is dark haired with color to her skin and is often described as wearing black or red.

With how much time authors put into creating story lines and significant dialogue, it's hard to think that the colors and gestures and details are by mistake or just for basic imagery.

FantineLovett418

In response to “Fitzgerald does it in the Great Gatbsy a lot...

I've read The Great Gatsby, and everything you mentioned was all mentioned throughout the book. Fitzgerald constantly talked about the green light, and for the car, he talked all about "Gatsby's yellow Rolls Royce". I don't quite remember the gold, though.

Katffro Katffro

repost...

thatguys thatguys

Students underestimate the amount of thought classic authors put into their writing. A good author isn't going to throw around useless details that have nothing to do with the plot. Everything has a purpose.

monstrosity monstrosity

In response to “Students underestimate the amount of thought...

Not necessarily. I'm reading a book now where there are some details that have nothing to do with the plot. It just makes the book more interesting to read. For example, the author mentioned the character was eating turkey on her sandwhich. I'm sure it had nothing to do with the plot, it just makes the book easier to imagine.

lollylyndy

Wait until the poetry unit.

candisse candisse

.......sometimes? freakin English teachers

avadakedavra

My Finnish teacher also analyses and finds deep inner meaning in everything we write in class.
I can assure you, I wasn't trying to communicate to the world that I need therapy, especially not via my Kalevala rewrite.

lecornergirl lecornergirl

"A book should always mean a great deal more than the author meant"
-Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (aka Lewis Carroll)

haggerty430

In Mark Twain's "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," Twain has a note that says, "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished;persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot." I had to point this out to my teacher when we were over-analyzing the book.

JACK278

Movies as well. We're currently doing a study on "Forrest Gump" and we're writing an essay on the theme "destiny." We have to incorporate the feather that is produced multiple times during the film and the teacher told us himself that the director did not have a meaning behind the feather, but he's told us what the feather symbolizes.

Kaitlyn Kaitlyn

Books deserve to have their meanings and potential meanings explored, but I am myself guilty of over-analyzing. Sometimes too much focus on the details can make us lose sight of the big picture.

Awaken

lol

Anonymous