HakunaMatataOnePenguinPompsyUnknownUser001BeckyLynnTangletalonTheshitkag101AsteriskiQuestion_MarkStephiet29SnobbyDrugAddictBananasAllyKatawesomesocksYourfellowmexicankkatt541Spyder_CatlucyjoanLindsay_Con_QuesototallyawesomegingerLenSarcasm_on_iceBuddyCakeserusololovereadingTheTall123comedic_philosopherItsATrapeyeamgreatMelinacaylaroseTerrarilaraKirstenAnnSpatulaCityB10ckH34dWinniethePoohBasunoriteamiCocaia12912Crystalblue97mashmallow515SergCloKamaliPiperTheSlayeryeahiamriteKristenHappyyay_jacket_doona

MariahStaebellSummerSurfxMagikarpEyabearLittlemormongirlSierra43FlyingMintBunnyGod_the_AlmightyBuddyCakesCellar_Doorlivelovemusic12namedrhannahAltoid_Freak_250tagIzzie_23Watchful_questioneerBigTRexthisisnotaudreysmiles97Cuban_BWoIverinerobertohoskinsDevonHollanderTYPO

totallyawesomegingermashmallow515PiperTheSlayerYourfellowmexicanHakunaMatataBananasShmoogerz
Uniqueness does not exist. Humans learn by modeling. Your personality is simply a combination of traits passed on to you by the people you have encountered in your life. Therefore you are a percentage of everyone you have ever met. amirite?

Even as much as we are a combination of many others, each of us is a unique combination. Unless one is in an isolated environment with controlled interactions or is a conjoined twin, one rarely interacts with all and only the same people as anyone else, and even conjoined twins have personality differences.

And humans do not only learn by copying what others do. We also behave oppositely (i.e. the child of an alcoholic may stay away from alcohol after seeing what it does to their parent), respond based on classical and operant conditioning, and evidence suggests genetic factors may also play a factor in personality, if even indirectly.

Rebuttle

So... I'm black?

AndyBlacksmith

In response to “So... I'm black?

Personality, not looks. But you are a blacksmith

OnePenguin OnePenguin

In response to “Personality, not looks. But you are a blacksmith

Ahh but you can't see my skin so how do you know I'm not black?

AndyBlacksmith

In response to “Ahh but you can't see my skin so how do you...

Im looking through the window (yum)

OnePenguin OnePenguin

In response to “Im looking through the window (yum)

Oh so that's who that is! Damn. Too bad I only get naked for people whos amirite handle I don't know..

AndyBlacksmith

Rebuttle

In response to “Even as much as we are a combination of many...

It's true in a general sense that everybody is unique DNA wise (exceptions of identical twins), but my quote is more aimed at personality. In other words, we don't act in a way we have never observed before.

HakunaMatata HakunaMatata OP

In response to “It's true in a general sense that everybody...

I disagree. Blind babies smile and over-protected first-born infants throw tantrums. We can be afraid of things we never knew existed up until the moments we saw and feared them. Universiality tends to favour nature rather than nurture. If it's common to all, more than likely it's in-borne.

I suppose it can be said that "maybe you observe things and just remember them subconsciously" for many cases of personality traits, but traits seem to be situational. We do have natural reactions to things that affect our personality (i.e. someone is a jerk, you act grumpy) Again, even few-week-old babies get cranky, and they don't have to learn it by observation. They can develop personality traits based on operant conditioning (i.e. if food is often prompt when they cry, they know to cry to get food; in turn, over time they may become impatient because they learned "whine = food now" early on and it stuck with them subconsiously), or classical conditioning (i.e. daddy scolds them when they cry, therefore cry less to avoid scolding; may become dependent on father or authority figure's approval)

Rebuttle

that combination is what makes everyone unique. you ever met someone raised the exact same way as you? Influenced the same way? Molded the same way by similar events?

ballet_apocalypse ballet_apocalypse

So who has lady gaga been modeling herself off of??

sb123

"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known"
- Chuck Palahniuk

TylerMayhemDurden TylerMayhemDurden

Well how would that work? The person you are reflecting off of would have to get his/her personality from a combination of other people as well and so on and so forth for every other person. This means at the dawn of man that everybody sat there monotonously because they had no other personalities to reflect from, or simply the fact you are born with a personality that can change and develop over time. So yes, everyone is unique.

DevonHollander