• Featured on the home page on Nov 8th 2011
  • Post Of The Day on Nov 9th 2011

Jellyfish_Jellyfishlivelovemusic12Anthony__________vampire_academyJ_A_C_KKelliethatguysyourzonlyRichardastral_queenSupermannnshelbybuckffstanman1212SkylarOctaviousx2502manRockyemmachickawahJardenSunflowersAreSunnylkroPrincessDaisyTheNewGirlInTownemilyjo73Ringo_StarrslairmiddleseisSahilAhuvaSpiegelBenjaminCSimpsonbluedreamstarkeimnotaskingsaratabaCarmelFuzzyLauraHernandezDwighttotally_awesomeWeekend_WarriorTheTall123iguessiamannonymousCaptainspadevatoreGlungoYouveJustBeenTrolledGlompableHisPrettyLadyravenalexanranchstylebeansllamabutt8897sarahf

Brettward95Cuban_BgryffinwhoreCboo17ThatbitchWunderscoreQuestionAuthorityHastyCroissantCyanideBearWoobPedo_CatrubienicolectiscoolerwhisperedtouchesDeathkittenrebekahMusicalXMollySherlockedburntbreadTheshitPeruvianPrincesssansai_dont_eat_humansOhSnapWordBEN4NIESpearmintMilkBeedleTheBardcoolstorypeace_love_happinessCaitlinginnypotter93SlendermanRealityrunnerdudesaracntowerphillipsgurrlDarthJaderGodzillaguyIdling_Rocket_ShipxyukichiixMissAwesomenessShunfieldhockeychick77CherryBlossomBetterThanEzra1119ClementinesJavviei_love_you_and_tacosEmptyMelodiesMartellusBoss

Anthonyrootbeeryumyumevan123ranchstylebeansolivecolorado
Some people use the argument, "If someone is old enough to serve our country, they should be able to drink a beer," to show they are in favor of lowering the drinking age. What should happen is, people under the age of 21 who are/have been in the army should be able to legally consume alcohol. Everyone else can wait until they're 21, amirite?

I personally don't think that people in the army should drink. They could get drunk and hurt. And the fact that they are in the army doesn't change the fact that it could seriously hurt their brain cells at such a young age. And I also don't believe that people in the army should get special treatment when it comes to laws.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

I'm interested to see the reasons people have for no waying this.
But I bet they never comment...

Anthony

In response to “I'm interested to see the reasons people have...

I think that the drinking age is high because of the effects it has on a younger body, not because someone is too young for the right, if that makes sense

swimlax swimlax

In response to “I think that the drinking age is high because...

I agree except for the "effects it has on the younger body" part. The effects at 18 aren't much different from 21. I think it's more about the fact that the # of drunk driving cases goes down exponentially with a higher drinking age.

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “I agree except for the "effects it has on...

well I'm no expert on the brain, but I've heard quite a few people say that there is quite a bit of brain development between the ages of 18 and 21. Dartmouth did research on this and found it to be true as well.

mNmL0ver14 mNmL0ver14

In response to “http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_D...

There is stuff about the brain though that effects it. The frontal lobe of the brain doesn't tend to be completely formed in the male until about the age of 21. This lobe is what helps us determine right from wrong. Thats one of the reasons the drinking age is what it is. You can look up court records that prove it.

Cheese_Hybrid Cheese_Hybrid

Not that people don't drink and drive before they legally can, maybe they wouldn't so much if they could drink legally?

Anonymous

In response to “Not that people don't drink and drive before...

sure there's going to be kids who drink and drive before they legally can, but the statistics show that drunk driving decreased in america when the drinking age rose.
see chart halfway down: http://currentevents002.wikispa...M.A.D.D.+Group

Favvkes Favvkes

Not commenting because all my reasons have been stated.

Albert_Einstein Albert_Einstein

In response to “Not commenting because all my reasons have...

Except you commented...

runnerdude runnerdude

In response to “Except you commented...

Except it's not about the subject of the post..

Albert_Einstein Albert_Einstein

I no wayed because of the stupid idea of Americans to not discontinue the entire draft possibility. Because now, everyone has the potential to go to war without consent, and since the government can just pull you to go, you're basically waiting to be deported.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

In response to “I no wayed because of the stupid idea of...

That's nothing to do with it though.

Anthony

In response to “That's nothing to do with it though.

My point is that since, as I said, you're basically waiting to be deported; you're sort of like part of a militia - which is similar enough to an army to qualify as one, at least in my opinion.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

In response to “My point is that since, as I said, you're...

when you get "deported" let me know, then I'll take back my negative vote on your comment

Joe_Larson Joe_Larson

We haven't had a draft since we occupied Vietnam in the 70's. that was the only time in the 230ish years The United States has been around. I'll take my chances.

MasterJ MasterJ

In response to “We haven't had a draft since we occupied...

I know we haven't had one. But the thing is, there's still the possibility of having one. As opposed to all other countries where they don't have even the possibility.

Emperorerror Emperorerror

Good thing that didn't have one single thing to do with the post ...

imnotasking

Well you will have the issue of 18 year olds buying loads of liquor for other kids his/her age that havent served in the army.

TheShamWowGuy TheShamWowGuy

The only people that want to lower the drinking age are under the age of 21

amiritesucksnow amiritesucksnow

In response to “The only people that want to lower the...

And greedy corporates that would try make money of off your momma's chest hair if they could.

lilypop lilypop

I'm under 21 but I like the drinking age just the way it is.

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

We can also vote on the people who run our country before we can drink, really if they wanted it changed I believe that it would be possible to band enough people together to get the age lowered

CalebCates CalebCates

In response to “We can also vote on the people who run our...

Never too young to make a difference in your country ( army, voting) ... But you can be too young to act like an idiot and get drunk

imnotasking

I don't want people joining the military so they can get legally get booze...

YeahIAm

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “I personally don't think that people in the...

The US has the highest drinking age in the world. Other countries allow drinking at 16, 17, 18, etc. There are less cases of excessive drinking in those places because it's not "forbidden", and people are exposed to it at a younger age, therefore it's not "rebellious" to drink. If it works everywhere else in the world, I should think it would work here too.

Although I do agree that people in the military shouldn't get special treatment. The law's the law.

brunetterox915 brunetterox915

In response to “The US has the highest drinking age in the...

I must not have explained myself well. If the law says that the reason they cannot drink is because they may hurt their brain cells, then they should stick to that. I think that law being removed all together is perfectly exceptable, though I would not drink myself until the age of 25, a safe zone for your brain. Though I stick to my not drinking in the army statement. They could hurt themselves or others.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “I must not have explained myself well. If the...

bullets aren't usually good for peoples brain cells either

tanman1212 tanman1212

In response to “bullets aren't usually good for peoples brain...

So combing the two is not a good idea. I'm not saying that people in the army should not be allowed to drink, I'm just saying it shouldn't be encouraged.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

Ok, I think we've come to two safe conclusions here. People want Alcohol, and bullets hurt the brain. I think we can address this to the Supreme Court.

DandyLion DandyLion

In response to “Ok, I think we've come to two safe...

Maybe we would get farther if I actually disagreed with anything they said...

LegalAlien LegalAlien

False. Lowering the drinking age in America will not work. It will get worse.Dont you know the number one cause of death is drunk driving for teens. If we lower it the PRE teens will be the ones rebelling that's not good now is it? There is already an overwhelming amount of youngins who drink. Eventually, yes America can be like other countries with low drinking ages, but the short term effects would be drastic.

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

What do you mean they shouldn't get ' special treatment' They risk their lives for a cause that keeps you safer, but they don't deserve a lil 'special treatment'?
It's not like every thing is free and easy living for them when they come back, so i think the very least we could do for those 18-20 yo is pass them a beer after they get back. A token of appreciation.

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

In response to “What do you mean they shouldn't get ' special...

Military people should not get special treatment, and they do not to a certain extent. They ARE allowed to drink in the military. It all depends on where they redeployed.

And besides (as I said in my comment below) what about all the other people that fight for our country? Polic officers and firemen (in training of course. It's not fair that they can't drink, but military people can because they are fighting for our country!

sugarbaby sugarbaby

In response to “Military people should not get special...

Somebody already stated that they shouldn't get special treatment, so tell me WHY you don't agree, thats what I want to know.
I know people in the military are allowed to drink, soo... What's your point of telling me exactly?
And yes that's a very good point, the 18-20yo officers and firemen etc should be allowed to too.

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

In response to “Somebody already stated that they shouldn't...

Again (as I said in my lower comment) I am for lowering the age of drinking. The only reason why I am against it is because what the military does it somewhat voluntary. There isn't really any forced deployment to the wars anymore. And yes, I know they ate fighting for our country. I love them for that. But it isn't fair at all? No one here FORCED them into the war. They went because they wanted to. So why should people complain that they should be able to drink? America is known for being one of the only equal countries in the world, but this in no way is equal.

And my point in telling you that they can drink in different countries was that what you were saying is redundant. They already CAN drink, so why they have the right? It was implied.

sugarbaby sugarbaby

In response to “Again (as I said in my lower comment) I am...

Ohh ok well I see we werent on the same page, that comment was just a rule suggestion (given that the law would change) for those 18-20 yo to control the amount of alcohol intake, it was only hypothetical.
Going into the military is a job just like any other (police, firemen etc) and yes there are risk and conditions, I get that. Equality blah blah I've already mostly agreed with you so why are you still arguing?

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

In response to “Ohh ok well I see we werent on the same page...

Because I am
Very passionate about this topic. Let's just leave this debate at that, okay? Agree to disagree to an extent?

sugarbaby sugarbaby

I don't know if this has anything to do with this but aren't the driving ages higher in different countries?

Anonymous

You have to take other cultural differences into account, though. The US also has the most cars / drivers per capita in the world, which is the largest danger of drinking.

duckshirt duckshirt

Okay, I've had some time to thunk about this and in still a little skeptical about lowering the drinking age, but I think if they did this for the kids in the military all 18-20yo should be able to drink as well. I was trying to think out all the pros and cons and I got stuck on the teen thing, i kept thinking 15-16yo which is kind of stupid because they arent the ones we are talking about legalizing drinking for. So yeah... But I'd still like to hear what you have to say

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

"Yeah we're shitfaced let's go bomb ppl!!!".
It does not work that way now so I dout it would work that way in the military if the law were to change. They could drink when off duty/not on ture, with stricter rules like a lower abl ratio

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

In response to “"Yeah we're shitfaced let's go bomb...

It would increase the chances, and I just don't want to encourage it. If it was legal for everyone, that I would understand. But this way they will see it as their only oppurtunity and take advantage of it.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

lrn2spell

Anonymous

In response to “lrn2spell

Why don't you learn some grammar etiquette yourself **! lrn2spell, the ** is that? You didn't even capitalize the L. It should have been: Learn to spell. If you're going to tell somebody to learn to spell at least spell out all the words, and don't use the number two in place of t-o.
Also next time instead of just pointing out that I spelled something wrong, tell me what it was I spelled wrong.

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

Anonymous

In response to “lrn2internet

(??) lrn2internet
ok iz lyk bttr 4u?
Whatever I had spelled wrong probably wasn't spelled wrong on purpose, and it's a little to late for me to fix it sooo...

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

In response to “(??) lrn2internet ok iz lyk bttr...

lrn2meme

Anonymous

Tour*
(there are you happy anonymous)

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

Yeah but if they are going to risk their lives on a day to day basis at least let them have some fun...

Dwight Dwight

In response to “Yeah but if they are going to risk their...

Honestly, I think that it should be a choice for everyone. I just don't think that because they are in the army, they should be excused from laws.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

Not everyone in the military has a combat position or will even be deployed, do they still get to drink underage? Or only the ones who's lives are in any danger? How would they prove that when buying the alcohol?

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

In response to “Not everyone in the military has a combat...

ehhh... how bout just lowering the drinking age to 18 for everyone?

Dwight Dwight

In response to “ehhh... how bout just lowering the drinking...

I'm Austalian and that's already our drinking age (as well as most other places in the world). I think America's is too high, but if they were to chane itit should be gradually.

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

If that happened, people would just join the army so they could drink.

99tacolover 99tacolover

In response to “If that happened, people would just join the...

That's like saying people would get married just to have ****... we all know that doesn't happen (smirk)

KickAss KickAss

That was my initial thought when reading this. Joining the army should be about so much more than the opportunity to drink before you reach the legal age.

GracieGrace

I don't want my soldiers to legally have the right to expose their brains to alcohol before the brain reaches maturity (more than they otherwise would, at any rate) and then go handle any sort of machinery. Impaired judgement of any kind is not acceptable when it comes to killing others, even in the name of war.
Besides, in countries in the Middle East like Afghanistan where most American soldiers are, alcohol is illegal for both the citizens and soldiers, so this is a moot point.

ctiscooler ctiscooler

It would be unfair. It's basically saying that if you want a small reward, you have to take a great risk; not unlike going bungee jumping for a Twinkie. I say remove the minimum drinking age altogether.

In some countries, there is no minimum drinking age. I think that is good because it teaches kids and parents alcohol responsibility early on and it takes away a rite of passage. You wouldn't constantly hear about kids binge drinking on their 21st birthday because they weren't sheltered from alcohol all their lives.

OhSnapWord

In response to “It would be unfair. It's basically saying...

Bungee jumping isn't that dangerous if you do it right, and Twinkies are delicious. Your argument is invalid.

Kellie Kellie

Not a good idea. In my opinion, the US has existed with this law for too long to turn back. While I get that countries that don't have regulations exist fine, it's because everyone has been living that way for their whole lives. In the US, there are too many kids that abuse alcohol illegally that making it legal would only hurt them more. The rite of passage would be the day the law goes into action, and boom, binge drinking everywhere.

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “Not a good idea. In my opinion, the US has...

It would be the last of the binge drinking. One of the plus sides of having a minimum drinking age is that it allows for binge drinking. Binge drinking is simply natural selection doing its job.

OhSnapWord

In response to “It would be the last of the binge drinking...

First of all, that would most definitely not end binge drinking. It doesn't just happen on people's 21st birthday, people drink heavily all the time. Second, are you saying that by binge drinking being natural selection, anyone who doesn't have the self control not to overdrink fully deserves whatever consequences they get?

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “First of all, that would most definitely not...

Binge drinking won't go away, I know this. It will be reduced. And yes, if you play with fire, you will get burned. You can either accept that or not play with fire.

Drinking has consequences. I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who drinks in excess and gets hurt.

OhSnapWord

In response to “Binge drinking won't go away, I know this...

What about young people who start drinking in their teens and then get addicted? Teens' prefrontal cortex's aren't fully developed, so should they still suffer all the consequences of their actions?

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

In response to “What about young people who start drinking in...

Exactly. Generally, kids learn early on the dangers of alcohol abuse so, usually, they are aware of the potential consequences.

OhSnapWord

If we were to do that, it would be best to gradually lower the drinking age. 18, 16, 14, 12, none. I personally think that the drinkin age should stay right where it's at. It wouldn't affect me either way because I have medications that don't mix well with alcohol, but I still care about other people's safety. I just believe that the age is fine this way.

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

I read somewhere (a long time ago so don't ask me where I saw it) that it is easier to buy drugs than alcohol if you're underage.

WideAwake WideAwake

In response to “I read somewhere (a long time ago so don't...

I find that logical. Having something legal, but controlled, means far more control over it then when something is completely illegal.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “I find that logical. Having something legal...

Another fun fact is that every village in Ireland has at least one person who deals drugs or knows a dealer.

WideAwake WideAwake

People in the army are stupid for even signing up. Then they whine about everyone dying. Like wtf don't go if you're gonna ****.

Anonymous

Anonymous

In response to “People in the army are stupid for even...

I could gladly tear the shit out of you at the moment. But because you are a troll, i'll do this; SHUDDA **** UP TROLL

WolfeDeWary WolfeDeWary

Anonymous

If you're going to write (in my opinion, generalizing, judgmental, and rude) comments like this, stop doing it under anonymous.

Driney

In response to “If you're going to write (in my opinion...

Oh shit! I'm convinced.

Anonymous

You know, people rare capable of commenting without having an account.

mchalla3 mchalla3

I can see it now:
"Join the army! Defend your country, and get drunk"

nonsense_narwhal

In response to “I can see it now: "Join the army! Defend...

More like "get crunk"!

chauncy pickles

In response to “More like "get crunk"!

More like "Get in the trunk!"

Mafia

In response to “More like "Get in the trunk!"

More like, "get in the bunk...er!"

Layne_Staley_Lives Layne_Staley_Lives

That makes sense.

Shadi Shadi

They should be the same age. You shouldn't get special treatment just because you're in the army. If you are supposedly mature enough to decide whether you want to risk your life for your country then you are old enough to decide what to do to your body.

I think both should be 18. Finding an 18 year old American who hasn't drunk is rare anyway and I think as legal adult you would have the right to make decisions in your life. State control needs limits.

HastyCroissant

In response to “They should be the same age. You shouldn't...

Actually, most 18 year olds in the US have not "drunk."

Anonymous

I just don't think soldiers should get special treatment.

fangirl12 fangirl12

In response to “I just don't think soldiers should get...

^ This comment is simple and yet it's the only counterargument needed for this illogical post.

wobbuffet wobbuffet

The biggest problem with the US's drinking age that nobody seems to know about is that there is no actual federal drinking age. The Federal government has no Constitutional authority to pass such a law. However, the government found a way to cheat the Constitution. They threatened to take away 10% of any states' highway fund were they to pass a minimum drinking age below 21. This is why the federal government has no business providing money to states. They basically steal money from the states and then threaten not to give it back unless they surrender themselves to Uncle Sam's will. People don't realize how much the Federal Government overreaches on their power.

pantherfanatic pantherfanatic

In response to “The biggest problem with the US's drinking...

I learned that NY's drinking age was changed to 21 before NJ's and CT's, but on the weekends all of the NYC kids would drive to either of those states to get drunk, and theu would try driving back to NY, but it caused so many accidents on the weekends that NY made some kind of a deal with NJ and CT to raise their age. I vaguely remember my gov teacher telling us that.

_Jojo_ _Jojo_

The method they used to enforce the minimum drinking age doesn't seem right, but I'm glad that they did so.

YeahIAm

In response to “The method they used to enforce the minimum...

You may like that, but there's sure to be several things they do through this method that you hate.

pantherfanatic pantherfanatic

I don't think there should be a drinking age because performing an illegal act such as underage drinking makes a great form of "rebellion" for teenagers and very appealing. I mean teenagers do it anyway no matter if it is illegal or not so maybe eliminating a drinking age will teach kids to drink in moderation and not binge.

AlwysSnnynCali AlwysSnnynCali

I actually had a debate on this in English class. I am for lowering the drinking age. You should be able to drink at 18, as you are a legal adult. America is pretty much saying, "Okay, you can fight for our country, you can smoke, you have to pay taxes and you can vote, BUT GOD FORBID DRINKING?! No, you aren't 'adult' enough yet for that!" (no)

Now when it comes to drinking in the military. Military people shouldn't get special treatment just because they are in the Military. Yes, I know they are fighting for our country, but what about the people that actually LIVE in our country that fight for us, like firemen and policemen? Should they be able to drink?

And lastly, the reason why some people have the right to drink in the military is because they follow the age of the country they are in. It is perfectly legal for them to drink there if the age to drink is 14. Why should they be left out?

sugarbaby sugarbaby

When people use that as an argument they are saying that if someone has enough responsibilty to join the military then they should have enough responsibility to just have a drink. They're not saying that being in the military means you're suddenly capable of consuming alcohol.

Oh, and inb4 people complaining that it's hard to make witty comments on a serious POTD.

Clementines Clementines

The drinking age should be lowered, the driving age should be raised and public transportation should be improved. Also, if anyone is caught driving drunk, revoke their license for a year. If it happens again, revoke it for life, with no exceptions.

dzukac dzukac

In response to “The drinking age should be lowered, the...

Not sure how to vote on your comment because of the mixed feelings I have with your suggestions.
-Lower drinking age: Has its ups and downs. Lowering it means that college kids won't drink illegally, but it also means they're legally obligated to drink. So I'm half-and-half.
-Driving age raised: No. Now, this will sound biased (because it is) but taking Driver's Ed in Sophomore year is fine. It means that majority of the Sophomoers will be driving by Junior year, age 17, which is the perfect age for driving.
-Public transportation improved: (y) I don't want to be on those nasty buses with their germs.
-Revoke license for a year: Seems a bit harsh. A short suspension + fine seems steep enough.
-Revoke license for life: That's just insane. Sure, drunk driving is a serious offense, but this is just TOO much of a punishment.

tl;dr: I agree with some and disagree with others.

Dinosaurs Dinosaurs

In response to “Not sure how to vote on your comment because...

What if the drunk driver killed someone and it was their second offence? Personally, I wouldn't want them on the road. I'm just curious if that would change your thoughts on the situation.

ActionMan

I'll tell you what my American friend told me when he came to Canada for school, "American college students party way harder than you guys ever do." Basically, we go out to the bars that close around 2, and we all go back to our residence (we were all living on campus at the time) and eat McDonalds and have good laughs and maybe watch movies. However (this is what he told me, I've never been to an American college party so it could be wrong), because the kids in American colleges can't go to the bars, they get booze on their own and drink all night and all over the place (as opposed to contained in a bar area) and wreck shit up. The point being that these kids are drinking regardless of legality, and they're drinking harder than those where it is legal.

Also, I fully agree with revoking a license of a drunk driver on their second offence. That's almost like walking around drunk with a loaded gun and no safety. Nobody has the right to put your or my life at risk, which is what anyone who drinks and drives does. People die WAY too often because of drunk driving and that would likely not happen so much if there were more of a punishment for those doing it.

twisted_memories twisted_memories

That's what already happens in the US. If you're in the military, you can drink on base, even if you're only eighteen.

shelbyam118 shelbyam118

inb4debatesaboutloweringthedrinkingage
(troll)

Am I favvkes yet?

Dinosaurs Dinosaurs

In response to “-.-

I do it out of love. (l)

Dinosaurs Dinosaurs

I thought you could purchase alcohol with your military I.D. no matter what age you are.

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “I thought you //could// purchase alcohol with...

hAHHHAHHAHAHHA, you simply could not be more wrong, could you

Anonymous

Don't argue about 18 not being much different from 21, and then asking why our drinking age shouldn't be lower/higher. You have to put the cut-off somewhere, and if you kept saying things like, "Well, what's the difference between 17 and 18?" that will turn into 16 & 17, and so on.
You really have to draw the line somewhere, and it has been drawn.

Anon

In response to “Don't argue about 18 not being much different...

TBH the worst binge drinking I've seen were in the countries who enforced the drinking age...Once you start drinking when you're 14 you get over drinking-being-a-big thing by the time you're 16.

European drinking culture ftw?

ProudMary

In response to “TBH the worst binge drinking I've seen were...

I've had alcohol around me in moderation my whole life. My parents had a glass of wine with dinner, that kind of stuff. When I was 15 or so they let me have a glass (I also at one point when I was 15 got hammered for the first time, and I've only gotten that drunk maybe twice since then). I learned that alcohol is the same as anything and should be indulged in in moderation. So when I turned 18, the novelty had worn off and I didn't care to get shit faced and puke everywhere. The same can be said for most of my friends. That said, the few people I know who had never been drunk until they were 18 went ** nuts on their birthdays. I've never seen people get that ** up. Maybe this is just relevant to my group of friends, or maybe it's suggestive for the general population, all I have is my experiences so I don't know. My point is that if you learn about booze before you're legally allowed to drink, you're probably gunna understand it better and thus not abuse it so much.

tl;dr? I agree with you.

twisted_memories twisted_memories

Mmk, I No Wayed this because I believe that we just have a silly way of dealing with alcohol. And anything else somewhat controversial. How about we teach that (almost) everything is alright in moderation, not put a limit on what age you can start being stupid.

Driney

I don't really feel like going through all the comments so if this has been said already, I apologize in advance. The point of the statement isn't about joining the army, it's saying if they're giving you the responsibility at 18 to choose whether or not you can go and put your life on the line, then you should also be responsible enough to consume alcohol.

DropXDead DropXDead

In response to “I don't really feel like going through all...

Aaand now I see that it's been said.
Well.
I agree.
._.

DropXDead DropXDead

just use your military ID which doesn't have your age on it, and you're good

softball_lover4

Honestly, I don't think it really matters in the end. The law isn't really stopping teenagers from drinking regardless.

acisseJ acisseJ

Wasn't this just homepaged today?

DarthJader DarthJader

OP. OP

In response to “Yes.

k i thought so, thanks. btw... congrats on POTD

DarthJader DarthJader

OP. OP

In response to “k i thought so, thanks. btw... congrats on POTD

hurrrrrrr I'm OP

OP

I don't see how you can enforce it. How do you prove to someone you're in the military? Do you have to be in uniform? or produce some certificate? then people just fake these and it leads to more underage drinking. Then why should only those in the military be allowed to drink? why not parents under 21? or those working full time?

Aintnothing

In response to “I don't see how you can enforce it. How do...

If you're in the military you have a military ID. What you're saying about how people will "just fake these" is stupid, because people would just get a fake regular ID if they wanted to drink.

MmmSex

toddlers should be walking around with a 40oz amirite?

yuppers

my question is why is this POTD...

heyhihello

In response to “my question is why is this POTD...

Controversial Anthony took over regular old Anthony.

TinyNinja TinyNinja

Because it's an interesting post that has fuelled some very interesting discussions. In my opinion, this is one of the best POTDs we've had in a long time.

ActionMan

In response to “Because it's an interesting post that has...

And Favvkes, just because it's not Harry Potter related doesn't mean it's not a great post.

ActionMan

It used to be this way but they stopped it in the 70s. someone may have said this already though

mattreynolds mattreynolds

Raise the recruitment age. Problem solved.

:trollface:

remember_my_name

MmmSex

In Australia the legal drinking age is 18, but we still have 'rebellious' teens who drink at 14, 15, 16. Regardless of the legal age, there will always be people who don't abide by the laws, so it doesn't make a difference whether it's 18 or 21 years old. People are going to drink when they feel like it, not when the law dictates they can. Personally though, i think drinking alcohol any younger than 18 is **** stupid, even 18 is a bit too young.

I_Fly_Sometimes I_Fly_Sometimes

What I don't understand is why an 18 year old is allowed to start in **** but not drink. It's like, "Hey, you're old enough to expose your body and have 40 year old men fap to you, but you cannot drink. Sorry bro."

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “What I don't understand is why an 18 year old...

which one has caused more deaths?

duckshirt duckshirt

In response to “which one has caused more deaths?

eh don't answer that

duckshirt duckshirt

I guess you've never heard of the term "equal rights".

Stage3_Unicorn Stage3_Unicorn

What concerns me the most about lowering the drinking age is the period between lowering the drinking age in America and the period where society/young kids are accustomed to it and view drinking like teenagers in other countries (with no drinking age or a very young one, like 14) do. That may be an entire generation or two. It would be complete chaos, and drunk driving accidents, property vandalism, injuries due to intoxication, etc. would probably increase exponentially due to all the 18 year olds who were expecting to have to wait 3 more years but can suddenly go to bars at 18.

CarolineGustin CarolineGustin

Believe it or not, this USED to be the law. In the days of the draft, if you were in the army, you could drink on base at least if you were 18. I guess they changed it when they removed the draft, so since no one is being forced to be in the Army anymore I guess the drinking age argument would still be invalid.

duckshirt duckshirt

It's debates like this that make me even happier to be Canadian.

_____

People in the army DO drink. They never gave a **** when I was on base, you're dying for your country, no one cares if you have alcohol. Shit, the lieutenant would buy it specifically so we could get wasted after training.

Shadowinchester Shadowinchester

Why is this POTD?

Happy Happy

In response to “Why is this POTD?

First, it's already been said.
Second, because controversial POTDs are better because it a) increases your intelligence on various subjects, b) you get to debate and c) it's nice to change it up
Finally, this was magically chosen as POTD.

Good enough reasons?

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

In response to “First, it's already been said. Second...

Yup, you've made your point.

Happy Happy

How is this a POTD?

LOL