Mod Team

• Topics:LGBTFun / JokesSarcasm
  • Featured on the home page on Dec 27th 2011
  • Post Of The Day on Jan 4th 2012

pb55020MonopolygamyDarthJadermmadalynnPeppergirl14KatieKatieFitzkriegTWLOHA94OFWGKTAGod_the_AlmightySarcasm_on_iceiloveu23MrCurtis01shoshanalucyjoanAimzdAnc3r_girlAlecsli_love_you_and_tacosSooner18eldoritoPuroboricua13Big_Bosskatelynsassimma_dancertheprincesszeeirod007stoopdoglucichErialcYecatsGambiteertammigoesrawrtrueshimmerchapstickBananas11DinosaursArneGoeteynJokermashx4everxlove101Beepbooptinkerswiftjaygirl1silvershadow6jordanhefnersmurfysmurfbluishbeatgoesonEustacewobbuffetINsideOUTside

Courage_Wolfboxtopbccheerchick94PrinceAlipantherfanaticSchloopremember_my_nameLive4MusicMj1996ilovenaniemilysoccer2MondayLuckSaadiyahundercover5_0nonsonosvizzerothewoodsgirlpinkbubbles192tea_SpidermanRun1SexySahara9189495514BurnyBurnvampire_academyBigTRexTheGirlWhoWasOnFireChosenToLeadCatManinnocentbunnyslookitupAfrican_RoosterFaithfulJennitaliabeaner53MyCrypticSlaughterrubienicoleFrasierFanForeverRebeccaNotBlackhollythethhirdchichichichiasb123HorseboatJ_A_C_KLettuceBeRightJustAWintergirlfieldhockeygirlkayluh_annemariestacysmomWooohoooBob_the_PenguinREBEKKAH

EmyDurzoBlintjenwilmanamefitDuckyJokerhattrick36razorsoftSooner18FlamesToDustpokerface111Clay_Sledgemonstrosityepic_fail11RescueMe97brunetterox915superkeeliSanctuaryExileMashedBananatheprincesszeemylifeisflyVelocistar273screaming_midgetshelbybuckffsDelightful_DolphinAnnieMcManusshAvayourfaceAnnDeevacherryblastersydnaynaywillisjawfEMMAnistchiddybaangilikefurrywolves4815peace_love_happinessimdudeheadtennisgrl95onomatopoeiaWatermelon___LOL___GryndStoneSunflowersAreSunnyjitterbug_145LexiilucyjoanPearland16VexTruttaceousTemulenceLoops
Gay people: you get really offended when two straight people try to get married. It's different from how you practice marriage and it is automatically morally wrong to do something different. amirite?

I don't hate heterosexuals; I just hate heterosexuality.

eldorito

Awesome post is awesome.

KatieKatie KatieKatie

In response to “Awesome post is awesome.

Theres a button to let Anthony know how awesome it is ^

pb55020 pb55020 OP

Awesome post doesn't follow logic.

"It's different from how you practice marriage and it is automatically morally wrong to do something different."

'Difference' is based on the norm. Heterosexual marriages would not be doing anything different because male-female marriages are already embedded in society; the comparison is nonequivalent.

Another assumption the OP makes is that the quality of being different, in general, somehow defies our sense of morality. ...it obviously depends.

Maybe I am trolling. But I've just noticed a recent deteriorating trend in amirite POTDs-- where we went from funny and original ideas to clichés, unoriginal material, and posts that follow nonsensical childish logic such as this.

WillAkana WillAkana

In response to “Awesome post doesn't follow logic...

You obviouslly didn't get the idea of the post.

To some anti gay rights people, this is how they view gay marriage. I was pretending like gay marriage is the norm and being sarcastic when I said it was morally wrong to do something different.

pb55020 pb55020 OP

Awesome post is awesome.

KatieKatie KatieKatie

you said it twice.

pb55020 pb55020 OP

In response to “you said it twice.

Because it's that awesome

OFWGKTA OFWGKTA

Lol. Sorry; it was an accident. But it's still awesome

KatieKatie KatieKatie

In response to “Lol. Sorry; it was an accident. But it's...

http://ctrlv.in/55794

There's a reply button so he can know you think it's awesome a third time (y)
:)

Kashish Kashish

Third times a charm

OFWGKTA OFWGKTA

It totally obliterates the meaning of every gay marriage that ever happened ever.

Sarcasm_on_ice Sarcasm_on_ice

God hates breeders.

eldorito

In response to “God hates breeders.

God hates readers

sup old LAPDANCE member

Ross Ross

In response to “God hates readers sup old LAPDANCE member

Sup, fellow communist liberal ****?

eldorito

This is a great post, but it's not going to make anyone that is against gay marriage realize that their mind set makes no sense, which is quite sad.

Shun Shun

In response to “This is a great post, but it's not going to...

I wouldn't exactly say that it's sad. You may think that people against gay marriage are highly prejudicial bigots, but that doesn't make their opinion any less valid than yours. Besides, I doubt you'd be so quick to change your mind about something so important simply because of something posted on the Internet by a teenager.

This isn't meant to be argumentative, just a simple thought.

Sobriquet

In response to “I wouldn't exactly say that it's sad. You may...

I don't think they're all highly prejudicial bigots, but I see your point.

Shun Shun

"I wouldn't exactly say that it's sad."
I would.

" You may think that people against gay marriage are highly prejudicial bigots"
Yep.

"but that doesn't make their opinion any less valid than yours."
Yes it does.

YeahIAm

In response to “"I wouldn't exactly say that it's...

Now that's progressive thinking if I've ever heard it....

Apple_Pie Apple_Pie

You provide no proof, or evidence supporting your claims. Therefore your argument holds no ground. try again.

MasterJ MasterJ

Everything you just said is true, I just don't see why it's so important to them.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

This made my day.

Renate Renate

Hmmmm. Where have I read this before?
Oh. I know. 12,000 times on amirite.

Anonymous

In response to “Hmmmm. Where have I read this before? Oh. I...

http://amirite.net/help

...Don't post something that's been posted before. Please use the search if you're not sure...

-

If you don't follow these rules your post may be removed by a moderator. If you see a post that doesn't follow these rules, you can report it to a moderator by clicking the red flag.

Kashish Kashish

"'Hmmmm. Where have I read this before?
Oh. I know. 12,000 times on amirite."
oh where have i seen that post before?

5000 million times on amirite

Anonymous

And it really sucks when they want to have kids because you adopt and that's the only way to have kids.

KirstenAnn KirstenAnn

Yeah I mean, every time someone has sexual intercourse with someone of their opposite gender they strengthen hell and evil force, and wither the earth's very soul.

Clementines Clementines

eldorito

In response to “I don't hate heterosexuals; I just hate...

God hates the sin but loves the sinner, He'll judge the heterosexuals when the time comes!

Xin_a_tizzleX Xin_a_tizzleX

And heterosexual **** is so gross! I know it's none of my buisness and I'm not in the bedroom with them when they do it. But it still grosses me out and is bad and shouldn't be done.

_Ashlie_ _Ashlie_

What's the point in marriage in the first place?

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “What's the point in marriage in the first place?

To make each other miserable

ASWCC ASWCC

It's what you do when you're done having ****.

ScottyD

Safetynet for children.

eldorito

-binding two people together for life
-starting a family/continuing to have your family name live on
-economic reasons
-religious reasons

Clementines Clementines

Feeling your love grow, year by year, moment by moment. Slow dancing together in the kitchen to your favorite song. Watching your husband dance in the middle of the living room with your daughter or play baseball in the yard with your son. Seeing your wife kiss your son's boo boo. Having some one else to wake up with the kids on Saturday morning. Looking forward to seeing him or her walk through the door at the end of the day. Getting your favorite flowers on Valentines Day. Not having to shower alone, when you don't want to. Knowing you don't ever have to rely on yourself alone.

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “Feeling your love grow, year by year, moment...

Couldn't a person experience all of these things without getting married?

StickCaveman StickCaveman

In response to “Couldn't a person experience all of these...

A person could. Marriage just means you're **** if it doesn't work out 'cause half your stuff gone.

ActionMan

In response to “A person could. Marriage just means you're...

Prenuptial Agreement FTW!!!

StickCaveman StickCaveman

Marriage is the guarantee that all these things WILL happen. Without marriage, there is no certainty. You can leave each other whenever. I guess technically you can get a divorce after marriage, but the vows are made with the intention of being together forever.

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “Marriage is the guarantee that all these...

A guarantee that it will happen? Yes, if you're living in a Disney movie.

ActionMan

If those things were going to happen, it wouldn't have anything to do with marriage. And as you said, you can leave each other whenever you want, regardless of whether you're married or not.

AntiJokeChicken AntiJokeChicken

As a girl with divorced parents I can tell you as well as any other person with divorced parents that it is FAR from a guarantee that all those things will happen. Although I totally believe in marriage I can completely understand that just because I get married it doesn't mean it'll be all rosy and nice. Please don't try to tell yourself otherwise.

Xin_a_tizzleX Xin_a_tizzleX

right of passage. puts an emphasis on the roles so that it can enforce and strengthen the foundation for a family.

an example would be a jewish boy having their...what's it called... the bar mitzvah?
it marks the end of the boy's life as a child and start as a responsbile person.

If we didn't have marraiges, I'm pretty sure many children would be homeless or with single parents.

TalkingRice TalkingRice

Complaining about people who are against gay marriage is just as annoying as people who are against gay marriage.

BurnyBurn BurnyBurn

In response to “Complaining about people who are against gay...

Complaining about the complaint: so much better, thanks.

Anonymous

In response to “Complaining about the complaint: so much...

No problem.

Call me if you need an **** for hire.

BurnyBurn BurnyBurn

Anonymous

In response to “Nah.

Please?

Business has been kinda rough lately :(

BurnyBurn BurnyBurn

In response to “Please? Business has been kinda rough lately :(

This is my not giving a **** face.

Anonymous

In response to “http://ctrlv.in/55801

It's similar... But without the cat.

Anonymous

In response to “No problem. Call me if you need an **** for...

Sounds like something a gay prostitute would say.

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

Gays aren't scary people, they're just different. And just because someone's different doesn't mean you should be afraid of them. It means you should be ANGRY at them! How DARE they be different! WHAT? My way of life ain't good enough for 'em!?

fangirl12 fangirl12

In response to “Gays aren't scary people, they're just...

That actually kind of applies to everyone who doesn't fit into society's definition of normality, not just gays.

Sobriquet

In response to “That actually kind of applies to everyone who...

Yep, pretty much. I just wrote it because I couldn't resist the Billy and Mandy reference though.

fangirl12 fangirl12

Love Billy and Mandy references.

Nerdunderdog

And clowns. those damn clowns are different. how DARE they be different!

DarthJader DarthJader

Wow there are a lot of gay people on this site. Lets all be Gay together!!!!

Dwight Dwight

In response to “Flee from the coming wrath...

I haven't seen you in a while. I thought you died.

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “I haven't seen you in a while. I thought you died.

lol thanks... I'm more alive than ever.

ChosenToLead ChosenToLead

I started reading that, then thought to myself "why the **** am I reading this" and then I stopped!

Pretty cool eh?

_Ashlie_ _Ashlie_

There are passages from the Bible that begin with "Romans"?

Truth be told, I would not trust anything those passages have to say, knowing the ancient Romans...

monstrosity monstrosity

Quoting from the NIV? That's the pervert bible. Quote from KJV.

Tony Stewart fan

This post is a win sundae with a cherry on top.

OhSnapWord

God (our Lord JC) hates gays. It is prety simple: if they chose to go aginst sonething that He says, they will burn. Your argument does not make sense because WE started marrige first. They wanted in and He said no. And then they have the nerve to complain that they must burn in H***?! I an not against gay rights I just dont think that God snd Jesus the savior want them to marry...our laws don't let animals marry... And I'm not racist or prejudice, just my 2 cents

Anonymous

In response to “God (our Lord JC) hates gays. It is prety...

But gay people aren't animals, they're people. People that can make their own decisions, and should have the right to marry.

Meredith Meredith

Marriage did not begin with Christianity. :|
Also our laws do not let animals marry because they are unable to legally give consent. Same reason why we don't let children marry.

Anonymous

Hey hey hey. Hang on, man. Fellow Christian here. Jesus believed in fairness and equal treatment. So do I.

mythoflight mythoflight

Okay, so, I'm both Christian and gay, and there are many problems with this comment. First of all, the spelling...don't get me started. Second of all, God doesn't hate. He gets dissapointed, but He certainly doesn't hate. And thirdly, God never actually said there was a problem with gay people. His people said that there was a problem with us, and His people had that particular belief at that particular time in that particular place. There are logical reasons why they thought that way, but I'm afraid I don't have the room to explain them. God is fine with homosexuality. If He were to make something someone has no choice in a sin, He would be blasphemous, and I would not believe in Him. And, even if it WERE a sin, we're all sinners. So by saying that people who against something He says will burn, then we'll all burn, because no one is perfect. Unless you are implying that you think you're perfect. Which I know is untrue. Because no one is, not me, not anybody. And gay people are not animals, we can give legal consent. If we were animals, I wouldn't want us to marry either. Oh, and marriage didn't start with Christianity. It started with civilization. Just saying.

ongaku

In response to “Okay, so, I'm both Christian and gay, and...

If you're claiming to be a gay Christian, you're clearly doing something wrong.

BigTRex BigTRex

In response to “If you're claiming to be a gay Christian...

By no means, sir.

OCDpantsjon OCDpantsjon

In response to “By no means, sir.

By every means sir. The apostle Paul directly preaches against it in Romans.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

BigTRex BigTRex

In response to “By every means sir. The apostle Paul directly...

That was an apostle. Not God Himself. Paul is saying that they are gossips, slanderers, etc. because that's what he believes and that's what everybody around him believes. Did God punish them? He might have, because if they left women just to have "shameless acts" with men, then it's ** without love. I believe that's what He meant by "shameless acts." If I went and slept with someone without loving them, I would be given the same punishment God gave them if I did not repent. Because there would be that absence of love. By "natural relations", I believe God wanted the to be pure and filled with love, not just lust. The Bible says that if you are going to have with someone, you should truly love that person. And Paul is judging these people here, as well. People make mistakes. Just because you go and have some lustful ** with someone you don't care for doesn't mean you're a terrible person. And who knows, maybe Paul was just saying this so people would take it literaly, not search for the deeper meaning, and then ban homosexuality. Who knows? He could have just hated homosexuality, and knew he had the power to try and abolish it. There's no way of knowing for sure.

ongaku

If you wanna fight with scripture, I'll fight with scripture. The apostle Paul also says in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kindom of God? Do not be decieved: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And that is what some of you WERE. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Here he says that Christians, when baptized had their sins washe away by the blood of Jesus Christ freeing them from all punishments. However, as Christians, they should rid of their sinful lifestyles and follow God's law, which may take time. But if a homosexual does not try to rid of their lifestyle after they are saved, then yes, they are doing something wrong.

OCDpantsjon OCDpantsjon

But this transition usually takes a very long time. Often many years. In the mean time, they will still be homosexuals. But I definately understand what you're trying to say

OCDpantsjon OCDpantsjon

I just want you to know that when I read H*** I pronounced it as Htcccch in my head.

monstrosity monstrosity

Even I disagree with that; God doesn't hate anyone, and, you must know, this is pretty basic knowledge of Christianity. Everyone passes this off as an excuse, but it really is the basic principle that you NEED to remember in order to accurately interpret a lot of biblical passages: God hates the sin, but loves the sinner. And personally, I don't find this difficult to understand.

And what do you mean "WE"? It's like you're upset that foreigners are invading your country or something. However disgusting or wrong homosexuality may or may not be, gays are still people, and being gay is an action of their's. It's not their race. Also, you didn't "start" marriage, God did. So... moot point here.

Okay, the bottom line with Christianity is that no, God probably doesn't want them to marry, but He also doesn't want you to do some of the things that you probably do and yet you still have the freedom to do those things. Judgment is not your job.

Sobriquet

In response to “Even I disagree with that; God doesn't hate...

And I know a lot of people will get on me for saying God started marriage, in the Christian belief He did develop the idea of marriage. And since this person is using Christianity as their argument, Christianity is required in my answer.

Sobriquet

Slow down there. First of all, it was NOT the Christians who started marriage. Secondly, JC does not hate gays, nor does he hate people who lie. Each sin is FORGIVEN because Jesus loved ALL and he carried the cross to get rid of our sins. Therefore, there is NOTHING WRONG with homosexuality in christianity.

Alecsl

"Our laws don't let animals marry". Yes, because gay people are animals. In fact, why don't you ban us from entering stores and resturants as well?

Meganlovesherboobies Meganlovesherboobies

Damn those breeders, ruining the sanctity of marriage!

On another note, I'm in the mood to feed a few good trolls. God, I miss scrantoncity...

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “Damn those breeders, ruining the sanctity of...

I miss Scrantoncity not because of the things he said, because I really don't remember him well and I only talked to him a few times, but because he was just so literate that somehow it was still interesting to read his comments. I don't know, just something about the way he wrote was nice.

Sobriquet

In response to “I miss Scrantoncity not because of the things...

I miss arguing with him. He did write nice though, I won't deny that. He wrote in a way that could make a less intelligent person believe anything he said.

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “I miss arguing with him. He did write nice...

Exactly, and I'm very envious of that. I'm like most people, I just write the way I think, but it's likely that he did as well, in which case that is just incredible. Overall I think he's pretty intelligent... just very, very strongly opinionated.

Sobriquet

In response to “Exactly, and I'm very envious of that. I'm...

I don't think he wrote as he spoke. People on this site went to school with him and said he was just an **** to everyone and never could admit he was wrong, even when he obviously was.

Ex. "We're in the choir room," -scrantoncity
"No, we're in the band room. Look, the sign above the door says, 'Band Room,'" -random student
"*scrantoncity going on and on about how this is the choir room*"

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “I don't think he wrote as he spoke. People on...

Ah, I forgot about that. :/ That's a shame.

Sobriquet

It's not about the sanctity of marriage. It's about obeying the Lord and not letting your **** tendencies control your actions.

Tony Stewart fan

In response to “It's not about the sanctity of marriage...

Yeah... Okay. Now can you argue your point without 1.) using a religion that not everyone believes in and 2.) without using insulting words like ****?

I'm sure they're not tendencies. Eating my pizza backwards is a tendency, consistently finding girls attractive is out of my control.

Eh, I'll give you a C-
Got anything else?

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “Yeah... Okay. Now can you argue your point...

1. The Bible is true whether you believe it out not, just like global warming is caused by man, whether you believe it or not. Telling me not to use that argument is like telling me not to use math to prove scientific shit.
2. What am I supposed to use? A nice word? A dog is still a dog, regardless of the nomenclature used.
3. Then, don't have **** with women. Quite simple, actually.

Anonymous

In response to “1. The Bible is true whether you believe it...

1. To use something as fact in an argument, it has to be proven to be true. The only thing people can use to prove the Bible is true is the Bible ("I'm right because I said I'm right").
2. You can use whatever word you like, but using offensive words makes people take you less seriously.
3. Even if I had never had ** with a woman, I would still be a "." Engaging in same intercourse is not what makes a person a homosexual, it is having same ** attractions that makes one a homosexual.

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “1. To use something as fact in an argument...

1. There are some things in math that you can't probe, but are absolute truths. They're called postulates.
2. As you said, the wording doesn't matter.
3. There's a difference between a homosexual and a **/. I'm a homosexual, but I don't go around wanting people to accept the lifestyle, nor do I engage in the lifestyle, so I am not a **.

Tony Stewart fan

In response to “1. There are some things in math that you...

1. Postulates do not require proof for one to know they're fact. Mathematics is not an opinion, it is a fact. Religion is an opinion.
2. Eh, whatever.
3. ** and are slang terms. Any homosexual can be considered a or **. Also, I do not know about this "lifestyle" of which you speak. Care to elaborate?

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “1. Postulates do not require proof for one to...

Fine... It was me (troll)

eldorito

In response to “Fine... It was me (troll)

I should have known when you said "**** tendencies."

pikabeau pikabeau

on a related note... http://ctrlv.in/55830

mythoflight mythoflight

In response to “on a related note... http://ctrlv.in/55830

Every time someone argues against gay marriage, I mentally refer to this list. I think it covers the topic brilliantly; it has a rebuttal for every anti-gay argument out there. Sometimes I wonder why people are still so against it when, to me, this list covers it all.

Perhaps that's narrow-minded… could anybody give me a reason we shouldn't have gay marriage that's NOT on this list?

dini190

In response to “Every time someone argues against gay...

Becuase every time someone has sexual intercourse with someone of their opposite gender they strengthen hell and evil force, and wither the earth's very soul.
(troll)

But seriously, I agree.

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

What a high population of gay people on amirite! I'm pretty sure there aren't even this many guys using the site who voted, and you have to be a guy to be gay, just sayin...

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat

In response to “What a high population of gay people on...

I was waiting on someone else to point this out, but I guess I'll do it.

You do not have to be a guy to be gay.

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “I was waiting on someone else to point this...

girls are straight or lesbian. Guys are straight or gay.

Pedo_Cat Pedo_Cat

You think you're making a good point but it really just shows how ignorant you are.

Jennitalia Jennitalia

In response to “You think you're making a good point but it...

I said okay because you called me ignorant and then just stopped. I would like to hear how I'm ignorant.

Keep in mind that this post is really just a joke. I didn't make it in hopes that the entire anti-gay rights community would convert their beliefs to the same way I feel about it. I made it to give a few people a nice laugh, or just a chuckle.

pb55020 pb55020 OP

In response to “I said okay because you called me ignorant...

Many people who disagree with homosexuality don't disagree with it merely because it's different from heterosexuality. I feel like you're poking fun at people who disagree with it, but you don't even know (or just aren't acknowledging) that many have legitimate reasons to disagree, such as certain moral beliefs or religion.

Jennitalia Jennitalia

In response to “Many people who disagree with homosexuality...

Could you elaborate on these "legitimate reasons to disagree", please? Because I don't think there are any legitimate reasons to discriminate againts people, whether it's in regards to race, gender or sexuality.

dini190

In response to “Could you elaborate on these "legitimate...

Religion, or maybe previous experiences (this one probably doesn't really apply to gays, though, unless your family was murders by a group of gay people or something). And you may think that things that rely on emotion aren't "legitimate reasons" because you seem to think more through logic, but not everyone thinks that way. And you still need to remember that as wrong as it may seem in some cases, we're still all human and we still have human feelings and thought processes, and that's just how it is.

Sobriquet

In response to “Religion, or maybe previous experiences (this...

I understand what you're saying about people holding different opinions and how not everyone thinks in the same way. But use of the word "legitimate" brings up some problems, because that's trying to justify why someone disagrees with homosexuality.

You said religion, which I'm trying to understand… but similar to what pikabeau said, if a religion "disagreed" with people of different races/genders etc, would you be as willing to say it's fine because they're "human" and those are their "feelings"? I think religion is too often used as a sort of justification for discrimination, which I think is appalling.

dini190

There are no legitimate reasons to be against a group of people. I don't care if it's part of someone's religion. Some religions believe that people of other religions are automatically terrible people that should all die. That does not make that belief okay. Even if a religion taught something simple like, "All people who are left handed are sinners," holding that belief because of religion does not make it an okay thing to believe.

pikabeau pikabeau

He is making a good point. It may oppose your stance, but that doesn't exactly make him an ignorant person for pointing it out.

Sobriquet

Gay people shouldn't be victimized with the whole "they can't help being gay" thing. So what if they are gay. We shouldn't deny them rights, and we shouldn't feel bad for gay people.

Jarden Jarden

In response to “Gay people shouldn't be victimized with the...

Says the man trying to kill off muggles...

Harry_Potter

In response to “Says the man trying to kill off muggles...

Mass murderers can have political views too!

Jarden Jarden

Okay guys, everyone calm down. Can't we all just laugh at a good post, take a damned sip of coffee, and take a chill pill?

Alecsl

In response to “Okay guys, everyone calm down. Can't we all...

I don't like coffee though :(

MasterJ MasterJ

There are two Parts to this debate:
1) Religious - Yes Christ was for equality and agency but he also said homosexuality is a serious sin. My interpretation is that marriage has nothing to do with this; you can be gay without being married. The choice is still there and the consequences are the same.
2) Family
It is my personal belief that a family should consist of a man and wife at the head. It is said throughout politics, school, work, church, etc. that the family is the basic building block of society. Given this we can conclude that with the destruction of the family unit comes the downfall of society.

I'm a guy that doesn't hate gays. I find them somewhat off putting and strange but that's just me. If you were my friend and you came out of the closet if still be your friend. I have nothing against them but in my opinion the equality arguments are outweighed by the others. Its not that they're different that makes people disagree, it's that they violate what has always been a sacred institution of both Christianity and America. If you aren't Christian or don't care for the traditional American ways, there's your vote but I'm siding with the prejudicial bigots on this one.

WinniethePooh WinniethePooh

In response to “There are two Parts to this debate: 1)...

hmmm. on the one hand, i found your response a lot more pleasant and reasonable than the responses of some others. on the other hand, i have to respectfully disagree. i think i'll go with your numerical organization.
1. you say that your personal beliefs are that a family should consist of a man and wife at the head. no offense, but your personal beliefs aren't the foundation of our government- equal rights and equality are.
2. people raised by a single parent normally turn out perfectly fine. so far, i don't know any single parents who have caused the downfall of society. i think that sort of covers your argument about families needing to be raised by a man and a woman.
3. i'm a bit puzzled by your part about traditional American values. i see that as a bit irrelevant, considering that other common values in early America were about enslaving black people and withholding equal rights for women. i also take offense at the stuff about how being gay violates the institution of America.
4. to be quite honest, i can't quite believe that you would still be someone's friend if they came out of the closet, since you would find it a bit "strange" and "off putting".

Anonymous

In response to “hmmm. on the one hand, i found your response...

Thanks, and
1. While it isn't the governments set view, it is mine and that is where my vote would go. Majority rules.
2. First studies show that children raised by a single parent are more likely to fall into crime, drug abuse, and chronic depression. Not to mention, you can't compare single parents and same-**** marriage because they're completely different situations.
3. Actually, common American values didn't involve enslaving peoplein the original constitution draft slavery was outlawed. The only reason they took that out was because S. Carolina refused to ratify it. And the entire world withheld women's rights (as most still do) and realized that wasn't right. I really don't think that marriage is really a right garunteed by the constitution which is why I don't like the name of this debate. It's ultimately not about rights; they can do anything they pleasethere is no discrimination. And I didn't say gay marriage violates THE institution of America, but that it violates A institution of America (meaning marriage).
4. I have plenty of strange and off-putting friends. But this isn't an argument about me

WinniethePooh WinniethePooh

Christ said nothing about homosexuality, or any type of **** for that matter. Though you can be gay without being married, you miss out on all the benefits of marriage, which is really what the argument is about. And granting the same rights under a different name is not good enough. You remember segregation? Separate but Equal is a good idea on paper, but in practice is just sugar coated discrimination. Also, I don't quite understand the "The choice is still there and the consequences are the same" part.

Allowing gay marriage will not weaken the family unit. Gay people already start families without getting married. Gay marriage would just strengthen gay family units. Even if they are not creating new children, their adopted families still deserve the same benefits as genetically related families. A foster child is still a child. What REALLY hurts family is high divorce rates and infidelity.

pikabeau pikabeau

In response to “Christ said nothing about homosexuality, or...

Yes he did. Try Romans 1:27, Jude 1:7, Deuteronomy 23:17. And what benefits of marriage? Spiritual ones only apply to God's definition of marriage, andlet's face itthere are no worldly consequences other than having half your stuff taken if you divorce. if its about love, they can love.
And I meant the choice to be gay and the consequences of it, worldly and spiritual.
While it would strengthen the gay family unit, it would weaken the traditional one which is the one we should be trying to protect. And I'm all for adoption...I don't see how that applies..? I think your last statement is the sacred middle ground on this argument. Failed marriages hurt the family unit more than anything and it kills me to know that the world has fallen into such a pattern of it.

WinniethePooh WinniethePooh

In response to “Yes he did. Try Romans 1:27, Jude 1:7...

Though agree that you can love without being married, I do not believe that a heterosexual couple is greater than a gay couple, and as such, they do not deserve special privileges. A gay couple can love just as strong, and start a family just as well as a straight couple. They deserve the right to marry.
There is no choice involved in being gay. The only people who say there is are heterosexuals who never made that choice, which I find pretty convenient. There are very few exceptions, but most gay people will tell you it is not a choice. I, for one, know it is not a choice. I never made the choice, I just happened to fall in love with a girl.
Are you all for gay adoption? They adopt too, and I believe their families deserve the same rights and protections as other families. A child is a child, no matter who they're parents "choose" to love. And it's fact that children are better off if their parents are married.
How does gay marriage threaten traditional marriage? Me getting married to a girl in no way affects you, does it? All it does is slightly alter the definition of who can marry who. I figured marriage was more than that though.

pikabeau pikabeau

Uhmm... So its worse for a child to be brought up by two loving, caring, smart, successfull people that or of the same **. Than it would for a child brought up by a heterosexual couple that dropped out of school, have no jobs, and well are just complete **?

_Ashlie_ _Ashlie_

In response to “Uhmm... So its worse for a child to be...

no it wouldn't. Both have problems but I agree the latter is probably more dangerous

WinniethePooh WinniethePooh

Okay, I'll try not to repeat what the others have already said, but I have to say this:

"The equality arguments are outweighed by the others" - that's like saying it's more important to uphold tradition than to grant equal rights. I think this is ridiculous - it's like someone in the 50s saying blacks and whites can't get married because it's against God's will and goes against "traditional American ways". What's the difference? There isn't one.

dini190

In response to “Okay, I'll try not to repeat what the others...

Alright then let's talk about rights. I'm going to steal some points from a politician that I thought were very valid. There are two "rights" that you say not allowing gays to marry violate: the right to happiness and the right to marry
First, the right to happiness...NOPE! Try the pursuit of happiness. Also, if all that matters is happiness, why not let three men marry, or some other motley crew? How about a mix? There are things that matter more than happiness. Also there is no need for marriage in order for these couples to practice love in their own way.
Next on the right to marry...there isn't one. Nowhere in the constitution does it give all men the right to marry, and it also doesn't fall under "human rights granted by God" because God has asked us not to. If your not Christian, it doesn't matter because that is the way our country defines rights.
Last about equality...the world isn't equal. People don't and shouldn't have all the same privileges as one another. If they did, 4 year olds would be voting, Osama could run for president, and everybody would have a lisence to kill. It isn't now, shouldn't and won't be in the future.

WinniethePooh WinniethePooh

In response to “Alright then let's talk about rights. I'm...

Okay, this is getting fun.

First, I don't think there are things that matter more than happiness - as long as the activity that is giving a person happiness is not harming anyone. So I don't think I have the right to say that three men shouldn't get married. People being uncomfortable by it is one thing - but these marriages are hardly a threat to others' safety.

About what you said about equality: You say "the world isn't equal". But I think all law abiding adults deserve the same. Four year olds can't vote because they're too young to comprehend the concept of politics. Gay people know exactly what they're doing. Osama can't run for president, because he does not have the country's best interests at heart, and people can't kill because they're hurting others. Again, gay people getting married will not do such damage to others. To make these comparsions is downright offensive - you're grouping gay people with criminals and children.

My point is: live and let live. If someone started telling you that you could no longer practise your religion publicly because of some "negative effect it has on society", then wouldn't you feel offended and hurt?

dini190

In response to “Okay, this is getting fun. First, I don't...

Osama can't run for president because he's dead.

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

First post of 2012 that doesn't have the word "awkward" in it. I was beginning to get concerned.

Anonymous