• Featured on the home page on Jan 24th 2012
  • Post Of The Day on Jan 28th 2012

chiddybangflunk_youFrageLuserooIdling_Rocket_Shiplittle_dezzySpearmintMilkRainbootsShunJankofettVOLuntaryCOLTSfanVOLuntaryCOLTSfanVOLuntaryCOLTSfanMonopolygamyDrewtMrCurtis01ImTheRealShadyCaleMaryKateBurnettTruttaceousTemulencefifthfogelforeveralone_pi_RidgeThat_Tall_ChikGolfWangrunnerdudeHarryPotter167LoanSharkMatt_the_JewBandgeekeggsFrogs_Legs_the_TrollLazynezGlen_Coco4rilaramiddleseisgoodtimerubienicolex2502manSpainLilliellpof200514DameequaXen0nParad0xmusicalthatgirlsPurple_CowctiscoolerTetotayMehhh

SergSchloopDandyLionAdmiral_BeenaSlendermankr4d0nL_StylzRebeccathetubbytubaInceptionPurpleZebrabatataimabananacoolkat3AdonisBatheusMr_Superfluous

incedioEmytheonlystrangeoneblue45000idolR21cuzimasherpatrueshimmerchapstickSledgereereeGabrielBrownits_meCforChristinaOMGitsJasminEziomattreynoldspeace_love_happinessWatermelonDemonturkytyperteckjraaeySarahvdmSavreetCCashew_x3Montanatashnabakninh08i_dont_eat_humanskerouacSobriquetOhhhnapAmloved625BoredomStopsByOftenrockport721HithereKaileyLovelyLexie007theinfinitecoderdancing_phalangesLauraHernandezOnePiecepkmnrockstarrukiaSissalDHGiggityGoo22Daniellaremember_my_nameMrCurtis01CWYJFan_z0inks_livlivliv2laurenmadeleineArneGoeteynSulk
It's difficult to hear people say, "Cheer up, you have so much to live for" when you're going through depression because it's not like suddenly I'll say, "You know what? You're totally right. I'm all cheered up now!", amirite?

This calls for a hotline!

Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline.
If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.
If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2.
If you have multiple personalities, please press 3, 4, 5, and 6.
If you are paranoid-delusional, we know who you are and what you want. Just stay on the line so we can trace the call.
If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a little voice will tell you which number to press.
If you are depressed, it doesn’t matter which number you press. No one will answer.
If you are delusional and occasionally hallucinate, please be aware that the thing you are holding on the side of your head is alive and about to bite off your ear.

TinyNinja TinyNinja

Exactly! It's much easier said than done /:

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

In response to “Exactly! It's much easier said than done /:

I'vebeen diagnosed with clinical depression before so I would know. You can't just let people or anything else for that matter to have so much control to whether you're happy or not. You can't always depend on other people to make your day or make you happier. So find something that you enjoy doing and try not to pay so much attention to everything thats wrong but to everything that's going right. And if you don't think amything is going right, then you have to try and make it right. And if you have low self esteem, don't compare yourself to others and NEVER put yourself down. You might not be flawless, but who the hell is? And if you are harrassed or bullied at school, you can't let those people push you around and don't let those childish teens ruin your life. It make a while, but you can beat depression.

Sulk Sulk

In response to “I'vebeen diagnosed with clinical depression...

Thanks [: I'll give it a shot

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

Yeah, if I'm not happy doing anything, then what am I living for?

_pi_ _pi_

In response to “Yeah, if I'm not happy doing anything, then...

So the POTD will make sense. Duh.

Shadi Shadi

I strongly agree with this. When you have depression, you have no hope. It's like no matter what happens you will still not be happy.

rubienicole rubienicole

I was trying to talk to my mom about how I was feeling, and her ingenious words of advice were, "Lighten up". Oh gee, y'know, I've never thought about it like that before! What a help she was.

ctiscooler ctiscooler

In response to “I was trying to talk to my mom about how I...

Mine called me a baby and told me to stop complaining.

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

In response to “Mine called me a baby and told me to stop...

Mine told me that I was going to be taken away and locked up (y) I do love her but she didn't know how to handle a teenager with severe depression/anxiety very well.

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk

In response to “Mine told me that I was going to be taken...

Oh lovely -.-
My mom thinks I'm just making up excuses for everything and that I want people to feel bad for me...

MaryKateBurnett MaryKateBurnett

In response to “http://amirite.net/593226

I think yours was worded better. I'd be a little resentful if I was you.

Sorry OP.

Stage3_Unicorn Stage3_Unicorn

In response to “I think yours was worded better. I'd be a...

Thanks. I called it out as a repost, but it didn't go through. Oh well...

thatguys thatguys

In response to “Thanks. I called it out as a repost, but it...

It's too different to be a re-post, though.

Someone

In response to “It's too different to be a re-post, though.

That's what I had thought, but it's no big deal.

thatguys thatguys

You're too different to be a re-post.

Had To

thanks for posting this. its nice to see that there are some people who understand

mattreynolds mattreynolds

In response to “http://ctrlv.in/60890

It's funny because he is the only face in the picture.

Shadi Shadi

In response to “http://ctrlv.in/60890

haha thanks for that :)

mattreynolds mattreynolds

I'm with you. It really gets on my nerves when people don't understand. I had it in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades, and when I talk about it with my big sister now, she's like, "Why didn't you just tell yourself, cheer up! That's what I'd do." Oh gee, thanks, why hadn't I thought of that?=P

CWYJFan CWYJFan

I've had depression for awhile and it's so debilitating. I have no hope for anything, I feel like I'm just going through the motions of living and I feel so lonely. Not to say that I don't have a laugh here and there but what's annoying is that no matter how illogical my feelings are, it's still how I feel. I have friends who care about me- I know that, but I still feel like I've got nothing.

Anonymous OP

In response to “I've had depression for awhile and it's so...

Do you happen to know the song "Going through the motions" From the musical episode of BTVS?

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “Sap story.

Oh Einstein. Your theory of relativity doesn't work quite so well with letters. Rotating the "d" 180 degrees will only make people think it's a "p"

Favvkes Favvkes

In response to “Oh Einstein. Your theory of relativity...

No, like sappy. Sap.

Albert_Einstein Albert_Einstein

In response to “No, like sappy. Sap.

That sap. A kind of sappy sap. The sappy sap that saps..... Sappy.

OFWGKTA OFWGKTA

Depression. (hehe)

Facetious Pickles

In response to “Depression. (hehe)

No, no, no. It goes more like this:

Depression. (cry2)

Clementines Clementines

In response to “http://lmgtfy.com/?q=facetious

I apologize. I did not look at the anon name. Will you except my apology cookie?

Clementines Clementines

In response to “I apologize. I did not look at the anon name...

I'll settle for a turnip.

TinyNinja TinyNinja

In response to “I'll settle for a turnip.

But a turnip is a reward. Nothing expresses sorrow like a good ol' apology cookie!

Clementines Clementines

In response to “But a turnip is a reward. Nothing expresses...

True.

I still want a turnip.

TinyNinja TinyNinja

I know right!

Keanu Reeves

This calls for a hotline!

Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline.

TinyNinja TinyNinja

In response to “This calls for a hotline! Welcome to the...

What if you are normal and interesting in collecting information from these services?

Shadi Shadi

In response to “What if you are normal and interesting in...

If you are in a normal and stable condition, please hold and wait for an operator to attend to you. In the meantime, enjoy this 45 minute concerto piece.

TinyNinja TinyNinja

In response to “If you are in a normal and stable condition...

... I think I can choose one of those options now.

Shadi Shadi

I just realized, "This calls for a hotline!" was an unintended pun.
http://ctrlv.in/60913

TinyNinja TinyNinja

If you are a nymphomaniac, please stop doing that with the phone.

Arwen

True, but it's better than hearing "You're right, your life is shit and you have nothing to live for." At least someone cares enough to try and cheer you up...

HastyCroissant

In response to “True, but it's better than hearing...

Sure, but rather than just saying 'cheer up' there are better ways to go about it, and 'cheer up' really trivializes the problem as opposed to taking it seriously.

Courage_Wolf Courage_Wolf

I feel more dysthymic than depressed.

Shadi Shadi

This POTD kinda brings me down :/

Montana Montana

In response to “This POTD kinda brings me down :/

Yeah, hearing about depression is really rough...

Anonymous

In response to “Yeah, hearing about depression is really rough...

It's just like the depression commercials, they make you wanna hang yourself right then and there.

Montana Montana

That's weird how I was feeling depressed again and than this is POTD and it just so happens to be a post about depression :/ .. Can't escape depression

Amloved625 Amloved625

In response to “I find John Cheese helps a lot more:...

I always thought Cheese was the best writer on Cracked simply because he's been to hell and back.

Anonymous

Depression stems from a sad experience but some people don't take it as well and become depressed. What happens is that the brain is now in a negative loop and it can't be happy. It's an actual disease

Naggs Naggs

In response to “Depression stems from a sad experience but...

It doesn't have to start out as a bad event, it didn't for me. Unless you count school starting up again a bad event, which in my case you may be able to...

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “It doesn't have to start out as a bad event...

In the sense that someone gets upset from something. But some people are prone to being depressed so they can't like unfunk.

Naggs Naggs

My mother used to be depressed... But, she's gotten much better now. The only thing she's got left is her Anxiety Disorder.

...it's sad how I only feel safe talking about this to the Amirite World.

Shhhhhhh

In response to “My mother used to be depressed... But, she's...

Come back to me. I would love to hear the whole story.

sixbillionsecrets

I'm glad she's getting better.
For me I put personal stuff here because 1.No one that I actually know uses this site
2.No one is going to patronize you. I hate that "You're so strong" stuff, even though there's not much else to say. I like being treated normally, and here people will tell you what they really think, even if they are trolls.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “I'm glad she's getting better. For me I put...

Yeah. I just don't like telling my friends or anything because it's not...their business. None of my closest friends even know just because I don't like being the girl everyone feels bad for and stuff.

Shhhhhh

In response to “Yeah. I just don't like telling my friends or...

I know exactly what you mean! I hate the pity. The first person I told I have depression was a friend that I've never even had a class with or spent time with outside of school, we just met at lunch through friends. But I found out she had depression, so I knew she wouldn't just pitty me.
The second friend I told said "I feel like I should throw you a party or something"
I understand that she was trying to help, but she was suggesting a literal pity party.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “I know exactly what you mean! I hate the...

Haha. A "pity party." Imagine how much more depressing that would end up...
So, when you were going through depression, what exactly did you want your friends to do? I never knew what to do about my mom and now I'm afraid a friend I know has depression too. What would you have wanted your friend to have done?

Shhhhhh

In response to “Haha. A "pity party." Imagine how...

It's sort of a tricky subject. I think the best thing you can do though is make sure they know you care about them. I haven't had this problem much, but a lot of people feel worthless and feel like no one would miss them if they were gone. Just be sure they know that isn't true. You can also tell them that they can talk to you if they need to vent, or simply get their mind off of things.
I read an article once about this... If I can find it again I'll post it here.

sighcantthinkofaname

Here it is! http://miriammogilevsky.wordpre...ressed-person/
I find this to be very well written and accurate.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “Here it is!...

Wow, thank you so much! I really appreciate it(:

Shhhhh

If you have never gone through depression, don't talk about depression. You can't just pull yourself out of it. You can't realize how good you have it.
For me, I just get into long pits of being miserable, for no reason. It sucks, and feels like death.
The best thing to do is just make sure the person knows you care about them and are willing to talk to them if they want to vent or get their mind off of things.

sighcantthinkofaname

Perhaps you shouldn't take their words as literally as you are. No, you cannot just "cheer up" with the snap of your fingers, but be happy that you have someone who cares that you're upset, and is offering words of encouragement. Some people don't even have that much.

L_Stylz L_Stylz

Does anyone everyone else see the depression ad at the bottom of the mobile page? O.o purposely done?

Amloved625 Amloved625

In response to “Does anyone everyone else see the depression...

Yes. The ads are related to the content of the post.

shelbyam118 shelbyam118

Regions Banking is very much true to depression.

Shadi Shadi

How can you expect someone who hasn't been through depression to know what the **** they're supposed to say, though? You should be grateful they're there for you.

Anonymous

When people say that it makes you feel even worse, because then you feel guilty and wrong, like you're disappointing someone by being depressed.

monstrosity monstrosity

I don't really get depression, but whenever I feel like shit there's always this turning point, this urge to mentally and physically tear shit apart like Michael Douglas in Falling Down. Like, screw all you people. I don't even give a damn, my care cup is empty, I'm done with this.And then I just kind of stop feeling so bad.

And because this POTD reminded me of one of my favorite movies...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=...eature=related

GryndStone GryndStone

In response to “I don't really get depression, but whenever I...

this movie....going in the netflix queue (y)

Favvkes Favvkes

How about if you're naturally a shy person or don't have a lot of self confidence? I hate when my friends say "ok you need to just not be shy!" .... its like ok, sure! HEY RANDOM HOT GUY HOW ARE YA?

KateJoseph28

People use the word "depression" far too liberally these days. Any teenager with normal every day problems that occasionally makes them sad are like "uh yeah I'm so depressed"

Chips Chips

Every time I try to talk to someone what it is that's making me feel depressed, they always say something along these lines. I know they're trying to help, but telling me to cheer up makes it worse because I can't, so I feel like I've disappointed my friends/family by not being happy enough for them.

i_dont_eat_humans i_dont_eat_humans

Yeah, but sometimes there really isn't much else a person can say, even if they understand it may not be all that helpful.

steelerman113 steelerman113

A lot of people just don't understand that depression is totally normal, and everyone will get depressed at some point in their lives, maybe some will get it worse than other. It can hit you when you least expect it. You just need to know how to cope with it in a positive way, not negatively because that will only make it worse.

LordThundercunt LordThundercunt

In response to “A lot of people just don't understand that...

That's not true. There are plenty of people who will not go through depression in their life.

Clementines Clementines

I belive the statistics are 1/4 girls, 1/8 boys. It's common, but not THAT common.

sighcantthinkofaname

And then you find... VODKA!

StealthApple StealthApple

WELL THEN

PurpleZebra PurpleZebra

Well, Jesus, what the **** are we supposed to say? You tell us you're really depressed and shit and what do you want us to respond with? "That sucks." How about that? THEN will you stop bitching?

I've been depressed on many occasions but I treasure how people at least try to cheer me up. Nobody knows how to cheer people up but they at least try because they care. And you can't even take that. If you don't want advice, if you don't want people to say that, then don't **** about it.

Piss off.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

In response to “Well, Jesus, what the **** are we supposed to...

When people have told me to "cheer up' it was more along the lines of "just shut up and be happy", coming from people who told me to talk to them if I needed but decided that they couldn't actually be bothered to listen. That's not caring or trying. I don't expect people to try and cheer me up. It would just be nice if they understand I couldn't just magically be happier.
It's interesting that you interpret this as "bitching", though. It's not like we are going around and demanding that people make us feel better.

Anonymous

In response to “When people have told me to "cheer up'...

You're "demanding" that when you complain about your problems. When you **, they are socially obliged to comment on it. If they don't want to offend you, then they'll try to cheer you up. And if they do tell you shut up and be happy, chances are what you're bitching about is retarded. And most things people about ARE retarded, but if it's not retarded then they're just , and if they're ** then you shouldn't be associating with them otherwise your feelings to their response is on your hands.

People understand you can't magically be happy. People aren't that stupid. They do realize, however, that you will become happy eventually and they want to remind you of that. And if you can't take that, then **** all, be depressed then.

AdonisBatheus AdonisBatheus

This pretty much sums up my life :(

Daniella Daniella