cherryblasterrebekahlinzCBthinkscoolstoryDeathelfMrCurtis01LazynezGolfWangMeap_Jojo_yeahithoughtsoBlueJayWayBuddyCakesInu_chanSheCallsMeButtaCupRainbootsling_lingRebeccaDeBellissaxybandgeekmakeup_nerdItsATraplucichctiscoolersansaJGisriteRaidenfifthfogeljugglerkristinoct14miss_marymac_attackRachelisCoolishawesomesocksspicygenouSaddlesore92colettejessica23stacysmomBig_Bossilikefurrywolves4815scene_Kidd12emilysoccer2mmadalynnawesomeness789chiddybangBaconnoisseurimeaniguess916That_Tall_Chikmiss_smiliealidoodle23

Meandmycat__________RajRubenKDrewtLittleRedLeavewithnoregretsRoboticKissesthatguysTheNewGirlInTownYouWouldBeThatGuyCourage_Wolf

epic_fail11lovealldorkattackgimme_sympathyPamelaj629anakay44TalkingRiceRandomChelseaxXjaydakinsssjillswimsAmerTayStripedElfSocksBoredomStopsByOftensmilesfortakeoutMelinasusannnBookworMFlipFlopsAndSocksCuban_BMissAlwaysRiteFieryPhoenixmymugglelifeWholesomeMuffinBun10
You wonder what humans would instinctively find attractive, it we weren't influenced by the media, amirite?

Features that would be attractive based on instincts...such as wide birthing hips for women and strong torsos for men.

flyingtoastowns flyingtoastowns

flyingtoastowns flyingtoastowns

In response to “Features that would be attractive based on...

I doubt it. The media does disregard that kind of thinking, but I don't think that we would start thinking like that if the media didn't exist.

boxtop

In response to “I doubt it. The media //does// disregard that...

Actually, in ancient times, that WAS beautiful. Helen, said the be the most beautiful women in the world by the Greeks in ancient times, and the "face that launched a thousand ships", was always drawn as chubby with wide hips in those times. In fact, many people still find large hips very attractive.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

Probably a lot of the same things. Attractiveness is based on a lot of subconscious factors, many of which are emphasized by the media. I assume the issue you're indirectly adressing is thinness, in which case men still consider curvy women attractive.

chch

In response to “Probably a lot of the same things...

I remember something where thin women means that they weren't impregnanted yet, which is why they seem more attractive.

just a theory I guess, but it seems legit.

TalkingRice TalkingRice

In response to “I remember something where thin women means...

Except a few centuries ago, fat was considered a lot more attractive than thin. This also makes sense from a "natural" POV - a woman (or man) that can find a lot food while expending little energy would be able to provide for many children.

Still, we're influenced so much by media and each other as a society, it's really difficult to say.

Chou

I don't think it would change that much. People are naturally attracted to people who are thin because if you are healthy and active that's what you become. It's not like everyone would be attracted to obese people without the media.

chasegrove chasegrove

In response to “I don't think it would change that much...

Back in Medieval times, overweight, pale women were considered attractive because it meant they were rich and didn't have to do manual labor. Media and society has a big influence on what people find attractive, but I think that a little extra weight might be instinctively attractive because it does mean that one is healthy and eating well and is nourished enough to bear children (for women). I could be wrong though.

TheresAnAppForThat TheresAnAppForThat

Actually, if you look back at old paintings, attractive women were usually painted a lot curvier than the ideal size today.
In this painting of Venus, goddess of beauty, she is definitely not portrayed as stick-thin (sorry about the nakedness):

Arwen

I feel like people would probably be more attracted to people of average weight. Even though being really skinny is portrayed as an ideal now, it isn't really healthy, and instinctively would probably not be attractive. Being overweight isn't healthy either, and so wouldn't be very attractive.

foryoublue

In response to “I feel like people would probably be more...

I thought skinny = not bearing child....YET

TalkingRice TalkingRice

If this kind of stuff interests you, I suggest watching this documentary called "The Science Of Sex Appeal". It's very interesting.

Anonymous

Your instincts arent removed by the media. You're born with them. You tell us what you find attractive.

Anonymous

In response to “Your instincts arent removed by the media...

But the media helps control that by showing the "norm".

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “But the media helps control that by showing...

The norm changes yes but it can't change your natural instincts. Men are still attracted to women with wide birthing hips and bigger women when they're hungry.

Anonymous

In response to “The norm changes yes but it can't change your...

Yes, but the instinct is to like the norm, since that means the girls are normal.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “Yes, but the instinct is to like the norm...

Yes, I understand darling. I took psychology. Things that prove a fertile healthy person are always listed after. The media just specifies body trends. Maladaptive behavior can be a trend shortly but fertility will always be attractive.

Anonymous

In response to “Yes, I understand darling. I took psychology...

Well, sweetheart, I was not referring to malnourished, as many here are, but the norm. Details, like make-up in the face, when "paint" used to be uly in many places. Some places in Africa the norm is long necks from adding metal rings to the neck that extend them, so long that if the rings were removed the neck would break. Yet "short" necks are ugly there. Not just that, but the media extends more ethnic backgrounds, so while before good looks were mostly limited to the looks of your own country, now people extend their understanding of beautiful. Many black girls straighten their hair, because that is the norm on TV; hair like white girls. The beauty is not only nourishment: it's also the most normal girls, the ones who look the most like the rest. That is the norm.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “Well, sweetheart, I was not referring to...

Wow. You really don't know what you're talking about so I'll just leave you to that.

Anonymous

In response to “Wow. You really don't know what you're...

What makes you think I don't know what I'm talking about? Please tell me. I want to know what I'm talking about, from a smart person like you.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “What makes you think I don't know what I'm...

Lol. I'm done. If you cant see the flaws in your logic now you never will.

Anonymous

In response to “Lol. I'm done. If you cant see the flaws in...

Seriously. Tell me. I want to know why I sound stupid to you. Maybe I am, or maybe I didn't explain well. I'd truly like to know why my logic does not stand.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

I love how you are the one with the negative votes.

SingToTheMoon

Anonymous

Back in Roman times, they thought it was downright comical to have a LARGE ****. Google it. :)

RighteousBro9 RighteousBro9

Continue