Add Amirite to your Browser

FanaticsarahlovelyAtheisticMysticdanieljc2008Chewbansheemashmallow515_Jojo_Brambleclaw8boxtopSergRam27jraaeytotallyawesomegingeralyrawrrChellTargetLadyMeapx2502manhappyyayFavvkesVexDragonTickleerowanneJonesyNaggsRachelisCoolishPredyheythereilikeurhairMontanathemissingsockmydaddidntpulloutLaughing_sporksaxybandgeekcoletteJennitaliaParachuteFanapastulactiscoolerCourage_WolfAndromedapeace_love_happinesslivelovemusic12TalkingRiceAllSmiiilessCuban_BSalmonUzumaki_NarutonotmuchnotmuchSoyChelseasmiles97

AnnDeevaSmartSpoonJudyIsRightADSaaroncremep0psTweetbaby14

mooniecakesMasonLNKimmidollMikey015
Atheists usually end up bashing Christianity more than any other religion, amirite?

Christianity is the religion that we are exposed to the most, and the one that we are most often told is the right one.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

I'm going to assume most atheists you know of live in America, where Christianity is the largest religion. That being said, It's not atheists that bash any religion, It's people who are atheists. There can be Christians that bash other religions, but that doesn't mean Christians bash religion.

Coday Coday

In response to “I'm going to assume most atheists you know of...

its just an observation. And what's the difference between atheists and people who are atheists?

Fanatic OP

In response to “its just an observation. And what's the...

Coday means that it isn't the atheist community as a whole, it's certain people.

Albert_Einstein Albert_Einstein

In response to “Coday means that it isn't the atheist...

oh okay I see. Well that's why I said usually and not all the time

Fanatic OP

I'm saying that just because an atheist person does something, that doesn't mean that's a thing atheists do. Like how if a black guy steals something that doesn't mean all black guys steal things.

Coday Coday

In response to “//Stereotypes.//

...make life worth living

Anonymous

In response to “I'm saying that just because an atheist...

yeah I get what you're saying. I just feel like most of the atheists I meet don't criticize other religions as much as they criticize Christianity

Fanatic OP

In response to “yeah I get what you're saying. I just feel...

I don't criticize Christianity, I criticize the Christians who criticize me for my Atheism.

aclw123 aclw123

Think of it as how people say get me a kleenex rather than tissue

Anonymous

As an atheist I criticize almost all religions. Some I find a little bit less idiotic than others but when it comes down to it they're all pointless.

Moonfang66 Moonfang66

In response to “As an atheist I criticize almost all...

That's a very biased view, especially considering atheism is technically a religion.

Handsy Handsy

In response to “That's a very biased view, especially...

No, Atheism is the absence of spirituality or religion. That's like saying Darkness is a type of light when it's the absence of light.

Moonfang66 Moonfang66

In response to “No, Atheism is the absence of spirituality or...

Yes, it is. It's the belief that there is no God or creator, and usually supports evolution. If you chose not to participate in religion, then don't. But labeling yourself as an atheist means that you do believe in religion.

Handsy Handsy

In response to “Yes, it is. It's the belief that there is no...

Ugh, here have some definitions of religion:

1.The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods. (obviously atheism is not this)

2.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. (arguably, Atheism is not this, especially not the last part.)

3. cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith (atheism is not based on faith so it is not this either)

4. the service and worship of God or the supernatural (not atheism)

This is all from different dictionaries and each one does NOT describe atheism because religion almost always has to do with the belief of some deity or supernatural or being or in the very least includes valuing faith over logic.

Moonfang66 Moonfang66

Calling Atheism a religion is like saying not smoking cigarettes is a habit.

Chancesum

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “Christianity is the religion that we are...

well I know a lot of atheists who are happy to tell Christians that they think they're wrong, but would never do the same thing to a Muslim. It just seems like atheists are more focused on being against Christians

Fanatic OP

In response to “well I know a lot of atheists who are happy...

I think that's just a political correctness thing. Telling a Muslim that they're wrong is "intolerant" or "racist" or something. If you did that, people would call you an Islamaphobe.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

In response to “I think that's just a political correctness...

Why is that though? Muslims and christians both believe in God, so why should people not be just as respectful to Christians?

Fanatic OP

In response to “Why is that though? Muslims and christians...

...9/11 or something.

Ram27 Ram27

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how it is.

AtheisticMystic AtheisticMystic

Plus, most atheists were raised to be Christian when they were young. It's the religion we know the best, so it's the one we feel the most comfortable discussing. I don't know very much about Islam, so chances are I'm not going to enter a debate about it.

Anonymous

In general, people ARE more respectful to Christians. I mean if you took a general poll, you'd probably find that most negative stereotypes in America revolve around Muslims, and Muslims are generally treated with less respect than Christians.
However, I do see what you're saying about how Atheists tend to speak against Christianity most often, and I think it's partially political correctness like AtheisticMystic said and partially that it's the most popular religion in America.

Anonymous

I don't bash any religion, but I can understand that happening in America, where Christianity is the most dominant religion. I have had Christians insult me for being an atheist, but not Muslims.

Anonymous

They just don't want to get blown to bits. *coughstereotypescough*

lana lana

But Christianity is the right religion. Now accept Jesus or die you heathen.

(troll)

MartellusBoss MartellusBoss

Might have already been said, but Christians also attack Atheists the most. I'm a Christian and I don't give two **** what your religion is. One of my friends is in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (NO JOKE!). But besides that, it's true. For some reason some Atheists (here in the US) seem to really bag on Christians :c

Chell Chell

In response to “Might have already been said, but Christians...

Flying Spaghetti Monster ftw, love their facebook page.

ScottyD

I personally feel the people who yell at you are Anti-theists. I'm an Atheist, and I have several atheist friends. We're all really respectful about it and only complain about it when we aren't around religious people. It's just that most of us have had to deal with christains trying to force their beleifs on us, from something as simple as showing up at our door or something bigger like when one of my friends (we no longer speak) tried to get me baptised.
I don't have a problem with Christains, I have a problem with converters. I've never had anyone who wasn't a Christain try to convert me.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “I personally feel the people who yell at you...

That's because Christians are supposed to be disciples and lead people to Christ. It's hard to do that without offending someone though, and I think that trying to approach it straight on just makes Atheists hate Christians. It's harder than you think when you're trying to do the right thing, but just end up making everyone hate you. But the same goes for Atheists. I've had a lot of trouble with some of my Atheists friends in the past. If I ever mentioned anything about my faith, I would get yelled at for trying to shove it down their throats, which I clearly wasn't. I guess that Atheists are sensitive to Christianity because they assume that every Christian will try to force them to convert. I assure you I wouldn't, but I've given my life to God, so it's hard to not bring it up every once in a while. I would never try to offend someone on purpose though.

Fanatic OP

In response to “That's because Christians are supposed to be...

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. My mom (Who is agnostic) has told me to just think of it like they see you on a train track and feel the need to push you out of the way. It's just so hard when you've got people shouting at you and saying horrible things about atheist. It's not an easy path (see http://atheism-shitthatblows.tumblr.com/)
As for your friends who get offended they're just being super sensitive. I have highly religious friends and we get along perfectly fine. Sometimes I even ask her about christianity and everything is civil. Then again, I have it pretty good compared to some.
It's just a really complicated issue.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “Yeah, I guess that makes sense. My mom (Who...

Wow. Some of that stuff is really awful. I can see why it's hard being an Atheist, but for a lot of Christians I know, their intentions are good, they just approach the situation harshly and make it sound like anyone who doesn't believe in God will burn in Hell. No human being has the right to tell someone that they will burn in Hell.

Fanatic OP

In response to “Wow. Some of that stuff is really awful. I...

Yeah, the friend I was reffering to before hates when people do that. SHe feels like a lot of people don't really understand what it means to be a christain.
Then of course there's that quote "The single biggest cause of atheism today is christians who acknowledge jesus with their lips , then walk out the door and deny them with their lives"

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “Yeah, the friend I was reffering to before...

Exactly. I agree with all of that. It's those people who claim to be Christian, but only act like one on Sunday mornings, that give other Christians a bad name. If you're a Christian, God should be a part of your everyday life. Someone you turn to, not just in your bad times, but in all times. Someone who you devout your life to. THATS what it means to be a Christian. If people read the new testament instead of taking someone else's word for it, they'd realize that those Christians that yell and people and judge them for their sins are doing the exact opposite of what the Bible says.

Fanatic OP

Ignore the typos...I'm typing from my phone sorry!

Fanatic OP

I understand. The one part about Christianity that I hate is the converting part. I wish we could all just pick the religion we wanted and then just be done with it without anyone having to put in their two cents about why it's wrong..

Chell Chell

In response to “I understand. The one part about Christianity...

But see it from a Christian perspective. They're only trying to help, and they (hopefully) are only doing it for what they believe is your benefit. I can definitely see how that can be annoying though. I had to deal with a lot of the same stuff before becoming a christian.

Fanatic OP

In response to “But see it from a Christian perspective...

But I am and always have been a Christian...

Chell Chell

In response to “But I am and always have been a Christian...

Ohhh so you mean you just don't like the idea of trying to convert other people?

Fanatic OP

In response to “Ohhh so you mean you just don't like the idea...

Yeah. I'd just feel really offended if one of my Muslim friends came up to me and tried to convert me to Islam, as if my faith wasn't good enough, you know?

Chell Chell

In response to “Yeah. I'd just feel really offended if one of...

Yeah, that kind of stuff offends me sometimes, too. But I'll listen to someone's views and I'm glad to share mine. I don't really like the whole converting thing either. I think there are different, less offensive ways to be a good example of your religion besides telling someone exactly what to believe.

Fanatic OP

That's because it is Christians (not all of them of course, but a fair amount) trying to use their religion to control others, take away freedoms, and remove the idea of separation of church and state. Think Rick Santorum on gay marriage, One Million Moms and their opposal of Ellen being the JCPenny Spokesperson, and Churches being able to donate money and influence public policy while being exempt from taxes. There are good Christians, millions of them. However, Christianity and religion as a whole have historically been the opposition of progress both scientifically and socially.

Smooth_Criminal Smooth_Criminal

That's because in the United States, I'd assume most atheists were probably raised Christian and found something about Christianity that caused them to leave it. You don't usually abandon something unless you have negative feelings about it. If I were an atheist in a country like Egypt where some people want Sharia Law to be the law of the land and rule over all people, regardless of their beliefs, I daresay I'd be "bashing" Islam.

Logan Logan

In response to “That's because in the United States, I'd...

Yeah that's true. I have a friend who is a Buddhist, though, and grew up that way, but still is so focused on finding every possible way to prove Christianity wrong, while being completely tolerant of all other religions. I don't get it.

Fanatic OP

In response to “Yeah that's true. I have a friend who is a...

Probably because most of the people she knows are Christian

Anonymous

Usually the bad apples just bash every religion every time they can. but debates are still good, makes both sides think. "Those who don't know their opponent's arguments do not completely understand their own"

Jonesy Jonesy

In response to “Usually the bad apples just bash every...

quotes make me smartical

Jonesy Jonesy

I don't "bash" it, but it's the one I'm most familiar with and the one I have to argue against the most.

Tim5o Tim5o

INTERNET FLAME WAR INBOUND, IT'S ALL OVER

Big_Boss Big_Boss

So far Christianity is the only religion I've ever had forced on me so it's the only one I have to fight against. I've never had Jews, Muslims, or even Mormons stand outside my school and tell me I'm going to hell for X reason that I haven't even done. I'm not gonna argue with people who are respectful to me and what I believe, and so far Christians are the only ones who have disrespected my beliefs to my face and instigated a fight with me.

ScottyD

In response to “So far Christianity is the only religion I've...

But Muslims terrorized New York city. And just like not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Christians would tell you that you're going to Hell. Those terrorists and those extreme Christians took their religion into their own hands and twisted what it said to mean something completely different. Islam is actually supposed to be a religion of peace and Christianity is supposed to be a religion with forgiveness and without judging others.

Fanatic OP

In response to “But Muslims terrorized New York city. And...

I think the more of your comments I read, the deeper I fall in love with you

WinniethePooh WinniethePooh

I'm by no means denouncing Christianity. I have met many many people who are christian and they're amazing people and many of the teachings are great. But when it comes people attacking me personally with religion, they're always christian.

ScottyD

In response to “I'm by no means denouncing Christianity. I...

well I'm sorry that you've had to deal with that :/

Fanatic OP

Those "Muslims" weren't real Muslims though. As you said below, it is a religion of peace and by terrorizing do they break any religious faith they have built up. As you also said, informing people of the love of Jesus is something you are supposed to do. Nothing OOC there. Now, I realize that most Christians aren't converters, but I got a little frustrated when you said Muslims terrorized NYC. I grew up Muslim, but I'm now an Atheist and I'm sorry you have met poor representations of atheists. Even though it's a bit hypocritical, whenever people "bash" any religion with the pure intent of causing anger or they are ignorant, I at least try to tell them that people of faith aren't all bad even though I am not one myself.

CanadiaNDP CanadiaNDP

In response to “Those "Muslims" weren't real Muslims...

But they claimed to be Muslims. And so now, many ignorant people associate Muslims with terrorism, which is awful. Just like people associate Christianity with people yelling at you for not believing a certain thing, when that's not at all what the religion is about. I understand that not all atheist bash Christianity.I didn't mean to stereotype anything. I just see more atheists bashing Christianity than any other religion

Fanatic OP

Hey, I just wanted to tell you that I understand that you were just making an observation about what you hear. I also want to mention that I hear the same thing. I have lots of friends who are atheists, and they do tend to criticise Christianity more than Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. (and they're exposed to all of them regularly). I also have some atheist friends who don't talk about other religions at all. I think it is because there are a lot of bible-thumping Christians out there (even though most of the Christians I know personally are very respectful). It's irritating to be told your personal beliefs are wrong, no matter what those beliefs are.

Anonymous

I totally agree with everybody that Christianity is the religion Americans are exposed to the most. It's also one that you generally don't get criticized for criticizing like you would Islam or Hinduism. However, it seems to me (emphasis on SEEMS, I'm not saying this is how it is everywhere) that Christians are generally more forceful with their religion and in getting other people to believe it.
Also, if you look at the history of Christianity or Catholicism, compared to say Hinduism or Buddhism or Judaism, their history is a lot more focused on violence and conquering lands and people and converting as many people as possible, whether it be against their will or not. The history of the other religions seemed fuller and more accepting to me.
And I'm not saying that Christians can't be peaceful and other religions can't be violent. I'm looking at their general history.

NitaCallahan NitaCallahan

In response to “I totally agree with everybody that...

I totally agree. But I think most Christians are more forceful because they are told to be witnesses and lights so that they can lead more people to become their brothers and sisters in Christ. And I think that a lot of people twist this into meaning that they must do anything they can to get people to believe in God. That's not at all what its about.

Fanatic OP

So lets debate Buddhism and Hinduism. :D the Abrahamic Faiths got their limelight.

mchalla3 mchalla3

mchalla3 mchalla3

That's just because it's mainstream. What I find comical is that atheists will say in an argument that they have proof because they're more open-minded than Christians and they know about other religions. No you're **** not! The majority off these people only know the infinitesimal bit that they know mainly because it's everywhere, it's popular, and it's hard to live in America without knowing about it. What, is paying attention to what's in your backyard an accomplishment for you? I guarantee you that if I questioned these people about Hinduism they wouldn't know shit.

Sobriquet Sobriquet

In response to “That's just because it's mainstream. What I...

Exactly! I can't stand when people tell me that I'm close minded when I tell them that I'm a christian. Or when they tell me that I'm only a christian because I grew up in a sheltered home where it was forced upon me. Neither of those are true. I've chosen to follow Jesus because I honestly believe that he died for my sins. I wasn't even raised in a christian home. And, at this very moment, I'm studying for a test about Islam and Judaism. And I think it's really interesting! Of course I will listen to other people, but just because I've chosen a certain path because I have faith in God and want to live for him does not mean that I'm close-minded. I'm willing to listen to anyone about whatever they have to say, and I will always try my best to see from their point of view.

Fanatic OP

In response to “Exactly! I can't stand when people tell me...

I completely agree. I think of myself as a pretty open-minded person. I don't always know what to say immediately to someone in debates and whatnot, but I'm ALWAYS thinking and chances are I'll be tossing around those ideas you brought up and decide how I feel about them within the next few hours. It makes it a lot easier to communicate with someone effectively if you know how they will process what you say. But just because I understand, does not mean I have to agree.

Sobriquet Sobriquet

In response to “I completely agree. I think of myself as a...

Yeah, and I'll definitely make sure I know what I'm talking about before I say something or start a religious debate with someone.

Fanatic OP

In response to “Yeah, and I'll definitely make sure I know...

I'm stupid and I'll start debates on things that I think I know about... But still I kind of know I don't. So then I'm like "Oops, I gotta go research this" and I do, and now I have new information to work with in the future. That's why all my arguments from when I first joined made you want to shoot yourself in the mouth, because I didn't know shit then!

Sobriquet Sobriquet

In response to “I'm stupid and I'll start debates on things...

Same here! That's why I always try to research stuff first. It's really embarrassing when you realize you clearly know nothing about your topic

Fanatic OP

A lot of atheist logic can be generalized to any religion. We may single out Christianity in our speech/writing but what we say equally applies to Hinduism and Islam and all the other ones as well.

Anonymous

In response to “A lot of atheist logic can be generalized to...

That's true. But why is everyone so furious when Christianity is mentioned at school, but not when Hinduism or Judaism or Islam or Buddhism is?

Fanatic OP

In response to “That's true. But why is everyone so furious...

Again, it's just the law of numbers. Christianity is pushed in schools about 100x more than any other religion. Therefore, Christianity is the natural target.

To be fair, shouldn't you also be complaining about teachers who only teach Christian faith and not other religions? Isn't that just as unfair as atheists who only insult Christians?

Anonymous

In response to “Again, it's just the law of numbers...

But I've never had a teacher who only teaches the Christian faith

Fanatic OP

In response to “But I've never had a teacher who only teaches...

Well then, there's the answer to your question. You only complain about the atheists, because you've never had a problematic schoolteacher.

Likewise, we atheists only complain about Christians because we've never dealt with problematic people of other religions.

But fyi there are definitely teachers who only teach the Chrsitian faith, for example teachers in the bible belt who are legally allowed to teach Christian creationism alongside evolution in science classes

Anonymous

In response to “Well then, there's the answer to your...

Yeah I see what you mean.

Fanatic OP

Studies have shown that atheists are generally more knowledgeable about various religions than religious people. This includes atheists being more knowledgeable about Christianity than Christians on average.

Smooth_Criminal Smooth_Criminal

In response to “Studies have shown that atheists are...

You know, whenever someone says "Studies have shown", those "studies" are really just when one biased person asks their friends about it. So unless you can show these "studies" and prove their validity, that comment is worthless to me.

Sobriquet Sobriquet

I had this book on atheists who wrote letters explaining why they were atheist. I had it because I wanted to see what other people's beliefs were. In nearly ever letter the atheists only explained why they didn't believe in a Christian God. I was so pissed, I wanted to learn about their views regarding every religion, but they only really mentioned Christianity.

Pajamies

In response to “I had this book on atheists who wrote letters...

As someone mentioned previously, that's probably because Christianity is the dominant religion in the West; therefore, western atheists have the most exposure to it, and many of them probably grew up in Christian households.

a_fetus a_fetus

Generally, atheists don't believe in Christianity for the same reason that you don't believe in Greek Mythology or Buddhism (I assume). If you want to know why we don't believe in a certain religion, then look at why you don't believe in a certain one, and apply that to every religion, including Christianity. We see no reason to think it is true, so we don't believe.

There are many other reasons too, but I think that is the main reason. Atheists just believe in one less religion (out of hundreds) than religious people do.

Smooth_Criminal Smooth_Criminal

whenever someone posts an amirite about religion, there are always shetloads of comments.

MadameDerpington MadameDerpington

Christians ** about other religions, so we don't feel that it would be fair to about other religions as much. Although we do ** about them.

eldorito

Personally it's because the only people who bash atheism are Christians in the region I live in. People of other religions don't give a shit, only Christians seem to do so. Thus, I reserve the right to bash them in return if I'd like to, which I almost never do.

Anonymous

this is so true, and the reason is because Christianity is the stupidest religion.

ashurii

In response to “this is so true, and the reason is because...

That wasn't offensive at all...

Fanatic OP

I know right? If they're going to have a religion, they could at least make it something semi-believable like Pastafarianism.

Kimmidoll Kimmidoll

I love how this hasn't turned into a massive flame war! Everyone is trying to understand each other :'3

Anonymous

SOME Atheists. I myself am an Atheist, though I would never attack another's beliefs unless they were actively harming others in some way.

Anonymous

Stereotypes wouldn't exist if there wasn't some truth to them as judged by the majority of a group as a whole.

Anonymous

Continue