• Featured on the home page on Jun 20th 2012
  • Post Of The Day on Jun 23rd 2012

kphan17Tweetbaby14wasabikitkatsSpidermanRun1RhinocrowthatguysTommyUK1234TrishAnthonypeace_love_happinessohlookitsmattBlacklightsAndQueensCourage_WolfSuzywaoabbeydRunyBlearslyrarerCanadiaNDPmiddleseisJess_Dohertymchalla3Izzie_23sb123rowanneMike_HawkMaryKateBurnettB10ckH34dmonica_is_WJLLGlungoThatbitchsaxybandgeekGalileoLamb_of_GodsubmarinediscoSaphiraPrincessMidgieStarlight_dragondeeviantBeautiful_RivalcrossieSobriquetfoolwithdreams_yebra1031FailAtLifeMacaroniSaladpb55020EustaceBrettward95trueshimmerchapstickNowhere_WOman

GolfWangilikefurrywolves4815ActionManyeahithoughtsoboxtopAstronaut_WillCarmelaSmithHopeImriteMrCurtis01LoquaciousHippoKristenGambiteerinsomniaccherryblastermUlAnftwHieirockstarrukiaMemseyTargetLadyHMDuckyRain96makeup_nerdRashedlilalaDelightful_DolphinSexyMsVerbalVomitScottyDrebekahJellyBlockCherryBlossomOneeSuperSukhjaydakinsssTOMxRIDDLELilblair16HollyPhoenixFeatherjpn518TalkingRiceBonslyGuyVictoryAAC_what_redsoxgirlie95tyreeshajonesiamsamasmaiBellaDoloreWWWYKIiEmilyrilaraTwoWildAndCrazyGuys

Lamb_of_GodSledgekerouacMeganlovesherboobiescremep0psSuzywaoMadameDerpingtonILoveblue
Suicide booths in Futurama aren't a bad idea. We should have those, except in a more humane way, maybe even facilities that would provide a sure method(euthanasia) and a goodbye ceremony like a funeral, in which the close ones could grieve over the loss, but also be assured and comforted by the suicidal that this is the best way. This would prevent a lot of failed suicides and a lot of unexplained deaths that cause guilt and confusion. It's a good idea, amirite?

You are now dead. Thank you for using Stop-and-Drop, America's favorite suicide booth since 2008.

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

I just think the choices for death they provide are pretty funny (wary)

Sun Sun

In response to “I just think the choices for death they...

A suicide booth sounds like a good idea. I'd use it.

Anonymous

@anon
idk, sounds kinda stupid, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

PeterPan

And could just anyone be able to walk up and use them?

theasexualsloth theasexualsloth

In response to “And could just anyone be able to walk up and...

But, I mean, what about minors? Would they be able to just walk in?

theasexualsloth theasexualsloth

Oh okay, sorry I didn't see that comment.

theasexualsloth theasexualsloth

SkylarOctavious SkylarOctavious

Killing yourself is already easy and now you wanna make it convenient?

Anonymous

In response to “Killing yourself is already easy and now you...

Yes it is, there are so many ways to kill yourself such as: by jumping off a roof, by drowning, slitting your throat, or taking everything in your medicine cabinet.
It's not risky if you combine all the things I said above.
And the Suicide booth hurts people too.

*Note: do not try at home

Anonymous

Well then, I'm glad that I was able to smooth things over between us.

Anonymous

I don't know why but I found that really **** funny

Monopolygamy Monopolygamy

I just found it funny the way they played it off like that instead of a flame war.

I'm suicidal as well, but I still found it funny.

Monopolygamy Monopolygamy

Hey Anonymous, you cannot kill your self by drowning.... and most roofs are too close to the ground to actually kill you if you fell from them, just hurt like a **** and piss you off.... just pointing that out.

Lamb_of_God Lamb_of_God

@Lamb_of_God
You can't kill yourself by holding your breath, but you could definitely kill yourself by drowning

Eustace

There's a river and a bunch of canals with strong currents where I live. It's really hard to swim in them. When I read "drowning", that's what I thought of, but now I'm thinking that falls into a different category

Eustace

I'm not sure why you'd want to make it easier to kill yourself, it shouldn't be like on the whim purchases at the checkout counter. Besides the grief caused to family is because the person died not because it was an unmonitored method of death.

TheBlindMan TheBlindMan

Would it be regulated? Or would any old fourteen year old who was just dumped by their 'boyfriend' be able to use it?

Anonymous

In response to “Would it be regulated? Or would any old...

With an age limit/price/therapeutic initiation, then, I agree.

Anonymous

I really don't have an issue with it if it's well regulated like that. The problem most people have is they think they can decide what others do with their lives. If a person is so set on suicide, then it only makes sense to allow them to do it to get away from the pain and suffering. This is a safe alternative that gives the person plenty of chances to back out. I would rather have a "suicide ceremony" than act in a moment of passion and possibly be unsuccessful, injuring myself and my family. I remember an anti- bullying speaker coming to my school in the sixth grade. He explained how he was woken in the middle of the night by his daughter screaming. He immediately got up and found her in a hysterical state and his son hanging by a noose in the bathroom. That's what I see happening more if something like this isn't established soon. Families don't need to be torn apart by suicide.

Galileo Galileo

@Galileo, That kid obviously had problems (likely with bullying) and could have avoided that suicide given proper attention. The good thing about these suicide booths is that it can potentially get them the counselling they need. But the thing is, would that kid have asked his parents for permission? It's not like his parents would let him. If he'd let his parents know about the bullying, the suicide could have been avoided. That's the same thing with the booths. Just letting the parent's know would lead to potentially avoiding the suicide. A booth wouldn't be needed for that. It might help in a cleaner death, but either way the death wouldn't happen.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

And you would have to wait a few months or so, to decide if it's the best choice. And during this period, you would be in therapy(already said by OP above). So you wouldn't be making a mistake by killing yourself.

Based on OP's regulations, this is a good idea. It wouldn't cause the trauma of finding somebody you know and love, dead. And people would be talked out of it if possible(therapy).

I like the concept of a humane suicide, not an actual suicide booth.

Anonymoose

@CherryBlossom: Yes, a major problem was that the parents were unaware of how distraught the boy was in the first place, but maybe with an option of a suicide "booth" in place, he would've felt more comfortable bringing up his feelings with his parents. Of course they wouldn't let him, but they would finally see that he needed counseling and help. However, I think the main benefit of the booth is not prevention of messy, random suicides, but the psychological effect it would have on society. Instead of it being a completely hushed subject, people would feel more comfortable talking about it with friends and family, and more people could be helped. Right now, kids are stuck hiding any thoughts of suicide because it is shamed in our society.
Also, the booths would in no way encourage suicide. They would do all they could do prevent it. It would only be for people that are so far under that no amount of therapy could help them.

Galileo Galileo

Good point, particularly with pointing out how the booths would make the subject less taboo to bring up.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

I think people with painful terminal illnesses wouldn't have to wait as long. Turn in a few medical records and doctor referrals, and do a psychological screening, and they should be able to commit within the week.

People think "suicide" and they think all about the different mental illnesses people must have to want to die, but seldom consider the physical pain some people might be in.
This would interfere with the age limit. If your eight year old daughter was dying of an incurable disease that caused her intense pain every moment of every day, would you want to watch her wither away on the highest doses of morphine available and still no relief for her pain for months because the clinic offering humane human euthanasia has an age limit?

A lot of suicidal people also think that they are doing the world a "favor" and relieving their families and loved ones of the burden of having them around, and the extended wait period and extensive screening would probably encourage some people to try it at home.

All of that said, suicide clinics would also bring about positive changes such as the ending of physical suffering for many and a less "taboo" mentality of suicide in our society.

Zaar

If there was a service for this, I think it should be non-profit, so suicide would not be encouraged by any advertisements.

KatieKatie KatieKatie

Galileo Do you think families wont be torn apart by assisted suicide? Your point about making it less taboo and free to talk about it to relieve the pressure which in turn helps people to give up the idea of suicide is a valid point, but there are other ways to achieve that rather than assisted suicide.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

(8DUrkaron): What he was saying is that is's better than finding somebody dead. It would be horribly traumatic. But with the kind of suicide OP introduces, there would be more closure.

KatieKatie KatieKatie

Finding somebody dead would be quite traumatic but maybe dealing with it in this 'knowing' manner would also be a different kind of trauma. I guess it would be traumatic either way.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

I see your point.

KatieKatie KatieKatie

"Hey mom meet me at the suicide booth at 12, I'm gonna kill myself cause I hate life, k?" "K son I'll prepare the funeral."

No just no. This is so wrong on so many levels. It's like you're encouraging people who have suicidal thoughts to just easily kill themselves, and providing an easy way to do so without feeling guilty. And I bet it'll be way worse for the parents to actually watch their child kill themselves and not being able to do anything, then coming home and finding them dead due to suicide. "This is the best way" you say? No it **** isn't, suicide should never be the answer to anything, no matter what you're passing through.

Anonymous

In response to “"Hey mom meet me at the suicide booth at...

When it's someone I know and love and someone related to me, no I won't just let them **** die when I know I can try my best to make their life become better. I think if a person lost all their limbs and they're still alive, then they're pretty lucky to still be living and shouldn't just waste that chance by killing themselves. And wow no person in the whole world has all these problems (no limbs, deaf blind etc) except if you count Hellen Keller (excluding the limbs problem) and even then she was grateful for what she had. And most of the time, it's not blind people or raped people or people with real problems who want to commit suicide, but those who live in misery and THINK that their life can't get any better, when in fact it can.

Anonymous

The thought that you wouldn't let someone do what they want if they can't take care of themselves, or if they have absolute certainty that they want to end their life even with proper precautions as therapy and such as comments have suggested seems a bit selfish to me. I realize you would know and love the person, but they also have a right to decide what happens to them, especially if they aren't in a position to do what they want to.

Julian Julian

@anon: Alright, do it. Fix their problems and make them all better again. Try your absolute best, and when their still depressed and suicidal, then what? You say, "Well, sorry. I did what I could, but you're still not allowed to kill themselves cuz Helen Keller had it worse."? No, at that point, you have to let them go. Put aside what you want and do what's best for them.

Galileo Galileo

@Julian: Oh so me trying to protect them and make their life better is selfish, while them committing suicide without thinking about anyone else but themselves isn't? What if the one committing suicide was a mother, isn't that selfish? Leaving her poor young kid all alone just because she thinks her life sucks.
@Galileo: Why are you thinking of the impossible? I'm sure with the right amount of therapy and time, anyone's life can get better, and if not better, maybe at least get the suicidal thoughts off their mind. And I guess if nothing works, after me and everyone else has tried their best, and If they're that stupid (yes, stupid) and want to kill themselves, then let them do it I guess.

Anonymous

I don't disagree that suicide is bad. But, if they can't physically or emotionally enjoy life, what life is there to be had? If all other preventative measures have been exhausted, therapies undergone and treatments ineffective, that's the only time I think it may be better to let go of that person. I agree that if a mother commits suicide, leaving her children in the world could very well be selfish, and I'm sure a lot of cases of suicide are committed by people who don't account for all of those variables, but I don't condone suicide as a life sucks get out free pass, that's not at all what I had said.

Julian Julian

I think using the Futurama example has caused people to think you may not have thought the thing through, hahaha, but I understand the principle and I think you're right. in Holland they have legal euthanasia and it's extremely well regulated. Switzerland too I think. People always try and stop something by talking about how it might be abused by people. Every system is abused to some extent - all you can do is try your best to put measures in place to prevent it. Democracy is constantly abused by those in charge - but you don't see western countries all seeking to destroy it.

TommyUK1234 TommyUK1234

In response to “I think using the Futurama example has caused...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't legalized euthanasia (in places like Holland, etc,) only for victims of medical conditions they can't be cured of and those conditions are hindering their standard of living? Because that's not nearly the same thing as suicide because of emotional issues. Not even close.

MsVerbalVomit

I agree. It's not the same. I think doctor-assisted euthanasia is appropriate in the case of extreme medical conditions, but killing yourself because you don't want to live should never be okay, it's really tragic.

Gnomebody Gnomebody

Yes you're right. I'm not going to get into the specifics of it all - just that in principle, what the OP is getting at is quite a legitimate argument. My point was that a well-regulated system can exist, even for things that seem like they couldn't.

TommyUK1234 TommyUK1234

While I agree that it could be a very well maintained system and that banning things or making things illegal because a small portion of the population could abuse it is a pointless idea, I just don't think that assisted suicide for victims of emotional turmoil is the best option for these people. Of course, that's just me.

MsVerbalVomit

If someone has given real thought to suicide and reasonably decided that it's what best for them, then fine. That person should be allowed to use a suicide booth.
But some people get overpowered by their emotions and act quickly, without thinking it through. Those are the people who would kill themselves, but would have regretted it if they'd been alive to. And suicide booths would make it too easy to act on those snap decisions.

ctiscooler ctiscooler

In response to “If someone has given real thought to suicide...

The process that OP was talking about would prevent people acting on a whim, I think.

trueshimmerchapstick trueshimmerchapstick

Yes, but my concern with mandatory therapy is that it would be too much of a pain for some people, or they would be worried that they'd lose their will to die, and then they'd just do it the old fashioned way and jump off a bridge or something, in which case the whole system would be ineffective.

ctiscooler ctiscooler

"[They would] be assured and comforted by the suicidal that this is the best way."

Suicide is never the best way.

Having such accessible, almost encouraging facilities for it, however, could cause people to think otherwise, which is absolutely horrible. Suicide should never be encouraged.

HMDucky HMDucky

In response to “"[They would] be assured and comforted by...

suicide is never the best choice? i disagree with that

iamthewalrus

Bars do, in fact, encourage drinking, but having a drink every now and then certainly doesn't make you alcoholic.

Also, a single vegetable isn't the best metaphor for life. Life is more like a meal; there's more than one food/taste in it. To elaborate, sure, that cauliflower may be horrible, but if the suicidal person in question can tough it out through the vegetable course, they can make it to dessert.

HMDucky HMDucky

Well, that's the thing. You can't know you hate every single dish in the meal of life, because you can't possibly know all the different courses until you get to them.

Additionally, having a cigarette "every once in a while" doesn't make you an addict. According to Dictionary.com, the definition of "addiction" is the following:
"The state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma."
If you can go the "while" in between cigarettes without having mental or physical health problems, you, by definition, do not have an addiction.

HMDucky HMDucky

On one hand, it might be encouraging suicide, like HMDucky said.
On the other, I've never been suicidal and it's unfair for me to make decisions for people when I have no clue what they're going through.

HarryPotterFan777 HarryPotterFan777

What are those suicide booths? Like you just walk in and they kill you? And failed suicides can be good, because if that person later realizes that they actually wanted to live

Graverotti Graverotti

No! You're just making it too easy. But a lot of people who attempt suicide realize that they want to live, so they call an ambulance or something. It wouldn't be the best way. And that's just like, encouraging them to kill themselves. Why would you EVER want suicide to actually work? That's horrible. I've been suicidal before. If there was a booth like that, I would've killed myself. But now that I look back on it, I'm glad I didn't. To sum it up, it's a crappy idea.

SuperSukh

If I had used a suicide booth instead of taking pills, I'd be dead right now. Failed suicides are a good thing sometimes.

Anonymous

The last sentence of the post made you sound like a douche, even if the rest was true.

Anonymous

the whole idea encourages suicide.

puhhhrincess puhhhrincess

In response to “the whole idea encourages suicide.

Nah, really? Good observation.

Eustace

If someone who's suicidal doesn't commit suicide the chance of their life getting better may be slim, but if they do commit suicide, the chance of their life getting better is 0%.

We shouldn't charge people money to help them make a bad decision.

Admiral_Beena Admiral_Beena

In response to “If someone who's suicidal doesn't commit...

If someone is suicidal, odds are their life is only getting worse. If they're going to do it, why not put their money to a good cause? They won't need it anymore.

shorkian shorkian

If someone kill themself, odds are their life is over.

At least if they kill themself without this suicide booth the money could go to charity or family or something.

Admiral_Beena Admiral_Beena

If they want their money to go to charity, then they still have that option. But not everyone cares. A lot of people don't have a plan, and their money would go to total waste otherwise.

shorkian shorkian

At least with suicide booths, you see the death coming. You have more time to cope and more time to talk to your loved one about their decision to kill themself.

It doesn't encourage suicide, it discourages it. Now, people make the decision to kill themself and may or may not seek help before making their decision. The suicide booth requires therapy before use, which would end up turning a lot of people away from suicide , especially if there was more than one session required.

And finally, I would much rather know my loved one used a suicide booth and didn't suffer. I would much rather a professional tell me they're gone than walk in on them bleeding out or suffocating.

pb55020 pb55020

WAY too many features. And to these people complaining about kids, it's not like this is the only manner of suicide available. No one's gonna go "I want to kill myself, but suicide booths don't exist, so I want." If you throw in too hefty a price, and too many unnecessary features, people are just gonna do it the old fashioned way. Really, all it should be is a small fee, followed by a scanning of your idea to make sure you're of age, MAYBE a brief video reminding you of the severity of the situation, and then you get offed.

shorkian shorkian

I hate to burst everyone's bubbles but....this probably won't happen.

lksadjfa

I don't think that suicide is ever the best idea, unless you're being tortured or you're stuck on a desert island and going to die anyway, and in that case I don't think you could even get to a suicide booth. Even if you have big problems, like you're being raped or abused, then chances are you can get out of it somehow, or it won't last forever. And then when it's over, maybe your life will end up being really good. If you kill yourself then you'll never know.

Graverotti Graverotti

In response to “I don't think that suicide is ever the best...

You seem like a sad, suicide obsessed human being..

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

That's a good way to cheer someone up, by insulting them...

Graverotti Graverotti

(giggitygoo22) No he's just brought forth an interesting and very real discussion.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

You're going to die eventually, even if you're not stuck on a desert island. ._.

shelbme shelbme

Yep, POTD again.

OnePiecepkmn OnePiecepkmn

Or maybe we could have more GOOD options for dealing with pain like therapy and medicine specialized for that person. This post is so **** up.

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

In response to “Or maybe we could have more GOOD options for...

Then what is it? You're ending your pain aren't you?

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

@ Nacklefoodle, I understand what you're trying to say, I think, I just don't think it's a good idea. I'm guessing you're a teenager and if you are then you don't even know what your life is going to be like. Even if you or other people are adults, then they still don't know what else is going to happen to them. I heard that it's pretty common for old people to get depressed when their body stops working. If they all just went to a suicide booth, then they might never get the chance to meet their grandkids, or do whatever else they could have done in their life.

anon

Initial therapy session? Wow, you have it all figured out huh? I guess it wouldn't be as bad because of that. It seems like it would be a really depressing place to work though... I still think suicide is never a good idea, but I guess it would be better than razors in the bathtub on a whim and no one ever knowing why. Again, I'm still against suicide and I think it would be better to beat the depression than to give in, but it isn't really my choice...

anon

But then that would essentially make KILLING yourself as socially acceptable as buying some soda from a vending machine...considering they're both basically booths on the side of the street that provide services to citizens.

It's putting murder on the same standing as purchasing soft drinks.

But then again, people support abortion...and there are abortion clinics set up everywhere.
And abortion is the mother choosing to kill her baby, so if others can weigh the value of our life in their hands, I guess citizens should have the opportunity of choosing whether to continue their own lives or not. /sarcasm

*In short, I am against the post and at the same time condemning those who are against the post, yet support abortion. (y)

J_A_C_K J_A_C_K

In response to “But then that would essentially make KILLING...

I wrote a paper for school once about how everything everyone does is for a selfish reason, even just being nice to people because it either makes us feel good about ourselves, we want them to be nice to us too, or we want them to be around us because it's "fun" for us

Graverotti Graverotti

@ spareseconds to answer your question; because people are **** stupid.

DropXDead DropXDead

You're idealizing society. You think that this wouldn't be a lucrative business? You don't think that companies will try to encourage suicidal thoughts to promote their business?

People can be slime-bags who only want money. Even if they were required to have therapists, how do you know they won't find a way to encourage people through media or other ways to want to commit suicide more? You see it every day; make-up companies destroy the self-esteem of girls and so sell them make-up, knowing they can never be as beautiful as the girls on the commercials, because they are fake. The clothing companies showing a standard for the human body that is unachievable for a healthy human, so that they buy their clothes which they hope will make they look better, while having the "side effect" of girls starving themselves? For profit prisons have horrible conditions and have been known to be more abusive toward their prisoners, making it more likely that they will get arrested. On all these terrible things prices tags were placed, so the people who come to gain from them start making it so that people are more likely to suffer from them. Put a price tag on human death, and you get more death.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

In response to “You're idealizing society. You think that...

Your idea isn't all bad of course.

I think that if, instead of a booth, it was just a hospital, which would mean that the business's main source of money would not be death, and it would mean going to court to prove that you tried every other option, that you could kind of pull off that idea, while cutting out that middle man that would make all the cash. Even then, it would have to be heavily regulated, it is certain to have major problems, like many other laws and other government-controled businesses that will have to be fixed over time. But, it is possible. Hard to achieve, but possible.

LegalAlien LegalAlien

Are you okay Nacklefoodle :(

Anonymous

In response to “Are you okay Nacklefoodle :(

Yeah, I saw that a few comment threads up. Do you need someone to talk to :(

Anonymous

Okay. Well, if you need someone to talk to just reply to this comment (y)

Anonymous

If you want to kill yourself, then you are not fine. This is coming from someone who has been periodically suicidal for the last 7 years, mind you. You need to talk to someone.

Sobriquet

No need to get pissy. You decided to mention being suicidal yourself; you can't just expect people not to care.

Sobriquet

I may not understand 100%, but I'm a hell of a lot closer than most people here. And that comment is not the only one where you've implied/stated that you had problems, but either way your wording made me feel as though you wanted someone to say something (fine, just suicidal?). I don't want to argue you with you. But you need to calm down.

Sobriquet

How, exactly, can you believe it is fine to want to take your own life? Even when I wanted to, I felt like it was wrong, but I couldn't just rid myself of the thoughts that caused me to hate this world. It's a sort of "what has been seen, cannot be unseen" thing. So I'm just honestly curious.

Sobriquet

Not from a rooftop, just online for everyone to see..

GiggityGoo22 GiggityGoo22

@GiggityGoo
How do you think that is helping literally anything at all

Anonymous

bug off giggity goo

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

There should not be an easy way to kill yourself
I went through depression not that long ago. I wanted to be dead. If I didn't have to go through the process of dying, I may not be here.
I also have a friend who I worry about because he is VERY depressed. He has seriously considered suicide multiple times. But he can never pull the trigger, thankg God.
He's feeling better now, because he has a new girlfriend he really likes, and they're there for eachother (She's had some tough times herself)

Lives get better. Even if you could only use them if you were deathly ill, people would get around that. Just look at medical marijuana.
We can't make suicide easier.

sighcantthinkofaname

In response to “There should not be an easy way to kill...

But you would have to take therapy sessions beforehand, so you could be talked out of it.

Anonymous

I don't think this a good idea, because first of all, it would probably increase the suicide rate. I don't think suicide should ever be the answer. So many people get suicidal over small issues such as bullying in high schools and etc, and they never get a chance to truly live their life. This would just make suicide easier and more accessible for these people. Besides, even if they did make such a thing, it would only be available in first world countries, and I feel that the more major problems would be occurring in the developing countries.

garimap garimap

In response to “I don't think this a good idea, because first...

garimap - I completely disagree with you. Suicide has nothing to do with developing and non developing countries.That point is bizarre. Depression is depression and the reasons for it are many, it's not easy to be less depressed because of material things or your lifestyle being a certain way or your countries GDP being higher or lesser. Infact in countries where life is more difficult on a general basis , there may be lesser chances of people taking their own lives relative to the numbers that are suffering from depression as compared in other countries because quite frankly when life is hard you appreciate it more and people who go through hardships on a general basis have more of the inherent quality to hold on.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

I think it's a brilliant idea.

It won't add to the suicide rate, and I think the therapy should be 6 months minimum, as it is a major decision, and that should filter out people who still want to live.

I'll say it - I'm suicidal. I want to die. And I've been this way for years. I've had depression since I was young - not hyperbole, I started seeing a case worker about it since 12, and even though because I was young they couldn't give me an official diagnose, it was depression, and it's persisted all the way to my 20s. I am in such mental pain that it does translate to physical pain, I'm not happy and haven't been in a long time, I have no future and nothing to look forward to, and I honestly would prefer death, somewhere I could go and talk to a therapist for the required 6 months, and then a nice painless death, instead of having to do it myself and possibly living yet hurting myself.

I'm not saying this to illicit sympathy, but because there is no reason for me to live - I'm **** miserable, I don't want to live, and I don't think it's fair for anyone to force me to. Im not contributing to society or helping anyone, and most days it's hard to get outta bed.

Anonymous

Obviously OP, you are suicidal, and you seem to think that no one understands you. But, in the non-sappy way that is more like "stop being full of yourself", people DO understand you. I've thought about suicide too.

I see you made a comment about wanting to kill yourself, but that it wasn't supposed to be a big deal. Fine. You don't think death is a big deal. But obviously your life sucks enough that it is a big deal how sucky your life is. So don't complain when people want to be nice, saying that we don't understand. There are those of us that do, and some people really do feel better when they talk about it. How are we supposed to know that you are one of those that doesn't think talking to others is helpful? Be nice, because they are trying to be nice to you.

Your life might suck, but a lot of it comes from your outlook on life. A lot of people get through the worst and become better people because of it and are happy later. So, try not to kill yourself. Not to be sappy. Kill yourself if you want, just try not to. Like those people you describe, think over whether you REALLY need to.You are obviously an intelligent person, and the world needs more of those around, not less.

Anonymous

I decided a list would be easier than an actual comment. I'm tired.

1. People should be able to kill themselves. We're already allowed to smoke and drink our stress away, which is basically the same thing but drawn out.

2. Suicidal tendencies are more than likely genetic. If they want their suicidal genes out of the gene pool, why the Hell not? Bonus for us.

3. Failed suicides aren't always a good thing. Have fun with your depressed life being made worse by failing organ systems by your attempted overdose or crippling injuries due to attempting to kill yourself via mechanical injury.

4. Suicide can certainly be the best answer. Terminal disease? No connections to anyone? Certain death situations? **** it!

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

Avoiding failed suicides? (facepalm)

Ethan Ethan

Not gonna lie, it's a pretty interesting idea to think about, but I doubt it would ever work in action.

omgeetoast omgeetoast

Suicide by euthanasia. Reminds me of The Giver.

Cpt_McMuffin Cpt_McMuffin

There was an article I read where they interviewed people who jumped off of the Golden Gate Bridge to kill themselves and they failed, and 15 out of 15 people said as they were falling they realized suicide wasn't the best choice, that there WAS a reason to live. Suicide will never be the best choice. Ever.

tea_ tea_

Completely agree Harry_styles and what legal alien said ..... about it turning into a lucrative business whether we like it or not. Also OP your point about it being less painfull for all the people involved ,I disagree, I think it will be more painful for the family and friends this way. Yes due to the mandatory reasoning and therapy involved many will filter off and that's a good thing , however the same effect of making it easy for people to talk about it , feel less judged about it , be open about it can be achieved through different ways not just suicide booths.I would lay more stress about making suicide a more approachable topic by emphasizing on the need to talk freely about it and to create an environment where going in for therapy is the norm. Infact assisiting suicidal people with therapy should be free... rather than assisted suicide be made free (making it payable is a complete no no for obvious reasons stated in legal aliens comment)
As for your feelings about some people going through with it at all odds, those could easily be the people who need failed suicides to get a fresh perspective...and to realise something. Suicide booths are not needed*

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

*A change of attitude towards depression and suicide are needed. I think the world is fast becoming a place where real therapy should be free because we're all going to need it at some point or the other in our lives.... and it's nothing to be afraid of, it's something to be dealt with. Making way for assisted suicides is not it.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

I understand how frustrated you are from all these replies, but your reoccuring argument cannot be "You guys don't understand anything about suicide". Don't forget, just like everything else, you can have an opinion on suicide. Some people think it's alright, some think it never will be. But you can't tell somebody their opinion is wrong, because it's an opinion. Second of all, don't assume that everybody disagreeing with you has never been suicidal. It's quite possible to be suicidal but at the same time realize suicide isn't the answer.

boxtop

Hmm. Nacklefoodle, you're frustrated because it seems like not many people understand, and everyone else is indignant because it seems like by saying that, you're patronizing them or something. They don't seem to realize that by sticking with their gut "suicide is wrong" response, they do look like they don't completely grasp every detail in your scenario, and are refusing to acknowledge that your arguments even make sense. It's an interesting post. I'm sorry it's blown up for you the way it has.

shelbme shelbme

In response to “Hmm. Nacklefoodle, you're frustrated because...

The gut tells you what people can't.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

This wouldn't completely get rid of at home suicide anyway. A suicidal person could decide that they don't want to go through months of therapy, they want to die now. And quite possibly they hate their family so they don't want a ceremony either. Therefore, they resort to committing suicide on there own. The purpose of suicide is to end your life NOW, right? So I don't understand why someone would extend their life further in a suicide facility. Having an age limitation would not prevent young suicides either, there are always accessible methods. However, I do see how the booths could help prevent certain suicides, and closure for families could help. Also, I think the word "booth" makes it sound too casual and almost like a carnival booth where you just walk up and they give you a gun to shoot yourself with.

Psychochemical Psychochemical

In response to “This wouldn't completely get rid of at home...

"This idea is for those who spend years or months of planning and are still worried something may go wrong." People who are planning for years or months and worried that things may go wrong .... are not ready to commit suicide. Sticking to the booth idea and according to your visualization about it , they are the ones that will probably get 'filtered off ' in the process and be dissuaded ... hopefully.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

"spontaneously do something stupid and hope it works.".. I rest my case.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

and why are you being so '****' hostile because of the opinions on this thread just because they don't match yours. Calm down man.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

ok first of all I'm not trying to win an argument.I really am not, sorry to come across like that.
Secondly I was under the impression you were more interested in winning the argument rather than stating your different opinion.
Thirdly Everybody disagreeing does not have the same reason for disagreeing. Infact everybody agreeing seems to have the same reason. That it's your body and you should be able to do what you want with it because it's your right to make that decision for yourself. And I get what you mean but I do not agree.

And nobody makes anybody stay. The people who want to go will go . Nobody can make them stay, with or without assisted suicide. And it's not like I view suicide as murder or wrong. I just disagree with giving up entirely and losing all hope , that is all.
Plus I feel that somethings are bigger than us and the universe certainly is. Let the universe decide when it's time for one to move on...and yeah sometimes I believe that the right thing is to let things happen not make them happen.

8DUrkaron 8DUrkaron

I don't think someone should just be allowed to choice suicide whenever they feel like enough is enough. These people are usually completely irrational at the time, and will live happy healthy lives if given enough time to calm down. However, I do think that people who are likely going to die from something else, such as cancer, should be allowed to choose to speed up the process to avoid the horrible end stages.

Saberbits

So, I know it's a little late but I've been thinking about this, and I think it's actually a good idea. At first it sounds horrible and depressing, but if you think about it, it actually makes sense. It's kind of like abortion. And I don't think it would cause more suicides, because suicides are going to happen no matter what. At least this way they could be painless, and with the therapy you talked about, it would probably actually save peoples lives who without it would have just killed themselves. Also, if you commit a bad enough crime, then there's the death penalty. Why shouldn't someone who's horribly depressed get the same option? I've never been depressed, so I don't know what it's like, and I still don't think suicide is good, but it's their body and it's none of my business. Someone earlier said that people might then try and make people suicidal so they could make money, and as long as it wasn't like that, then I think it's a good idea.

Graverotti Graverotti

inb4 Nacklefoodle (troll)

Favvkes Favvkes

You are one **** up person... you're condoning suicide?

Anonymous