Mod Team

ScientistMinecraftChickenAUsernameOf18LettersCherryBlossomLamb_of_GodCuban_BJonesyDanielathatguysFred_WeasleyBig_BossMaximumnerdsickipedianaallisonwhiteeGnomebodyznatsteakBigblueTrishBlake11roysDemonturkyStarlight_dragonHPfolyfeomnomrapterLegalAlientyreeshajonesPandaBeardK_SteezyScottyDSuperSukhkerouaclucichstill_no_inspirationIndigoMoonI_am_Yo_PimpiamthewalrusBlacklightsAndQueensshelbyam118Nikola_Goddamn_TeslaMaryGryndStoneKirstenAnnStarkiller731pokerface111x2502manMusicianOfExtremesCFinacornsrockTOMxRIDDLEmileycyrushattrick36

MichaelJayyeahithoughtsoCowboyGirliamsamasmaisilvershadow6freddoTheVibeAlchemistfieldhockeygirlLolVoldemortsNipplesBub

BigblueDemonturkyLegalAlienAUsernameOf18Letters
Industrialised hemp should be legalised in the United States, amirite?

Before anyone starts attacking me read up.

The hemp plant is a renewable resource that can be produced domestically. It grows quickly, naturally resists plant diseases, requires little weeding, thrives in most climates, and enriches the soil it grows in. Hempseeds and hemp oil are highly nutritious and delicious. Hempseeds are an excellent source of protein, minerals, and dietary fibre. Hemp is the only plant that contains all of the essential fatty acids and amino acids required by the human body. These essential nutrients affect a variety of body functions, including metabolism, the skin, mood, behaviour, the brain, and the heart. Due to its high content of beneficial oils and natural emollient properties, hemp is becoming a common ingredient in lotions and many other skin, hair, and cosmetic products. It is a good alternative to the toxic chemicals present in many petroleum based lotions and cosmetics. Hemp is an ideal material for making paper. It regenerates in the field in months (unlike trees which can take 30 years or more to become harvestable after planting.) Moving towards the use of hemp for paper can help save the world's forests.

Scientist Scientist OP

Scientist Scientist OP

In response to “Before anyone starts attacking me read...

Historically, hemp has been used to make paper for thousands of years. It makes a fine quality paper that is naturally acid free and does not become yellow and brittle or disintegrate over time like conventional paper. Hemp can be used to make a variety of fabrics, similar to but more durable than cotton. Hemp is also excellent for making rugs and other textiles. The oldest known woven fabric was made from hemp, as were Levi Strauss' original denim jeans, and the first American flag. It was a common material for clothing until the cotton industry gained strength in America. Hemp is the traditional rope making fibre due to its flexibility, strength, and resistance to water damage. In past centuries, hemp was extremely important to the Navy, the shipping trade, and fishing because it was used to make ropes, riggings, nets, and sails. For centuries, Hemp oil was used as lamp oil. It began to be phased out in America in the 1870s when petroleum was introduced. Hemp oil can be used to create biofuels to replace gasoline for diesel engines. Unlike fossil fuels, biofuels are renewable and produce less of the greenhouse gas carbon monoxide.

Scientist Scientist OP

Standard plastic is made from fossil fuels using toxic chemicals. Almost everything we buy is wrapped in cellophane and our landfills are full of it. A variety of alternatives to plastic can be made from hemp. Hemp based materials can replace wood and other materials used to build homes and other structures including foundations, walls, shingles, paneling, pipes, and paint. The modern hemp building materials Hempcrete and Isochanvre are lightweight, waterproof, fireproof, self-insulating, and resistant to pests.

Some history behind it.
Hemp may look like marijuana, however it does not contain the active chemicals that cause mind-altering effects. Historically, hemp was important in America and several of the founding fathers grew it on their estates. Thomas Jeffersonhimself said, "Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth and protection of the country."

Scientist Scientist OP

There were even times when farmers were legally required to grow it. During World War Two, the American government encouraged farmers to grow it to help aid the war effort. In the 1930s, a "reefer madness" campaign began in the United States to stir up fear around marijuana and hemp. Today it is clear that these beginnings of "the war on drugs" were pushed into being by the newspaper, cotton, and petroleum industrieswhich have all benefited financially from hemp prohibition.

Scientist Scientist OP

So let me ask again.

Scientist Scientist OP

I don't know anything about anything. Why was it even banned in the first place, if it's that great?

SuperSukh

Well it's technically illegal due to it's biological similarities to smoking cannabis. But the reason it became illegal is simply because it is so great. As you read above hemp touches on pretty much every industrial aspect. So all the competitors got together and lobbied against it. But they cleverly lobbied against the "drug" and not hemp. Hemp just got taken down with it, which is all they really wanted to happen. It's just another example of how easily Washington can be bought off.

Scientist Scientist OP

You should read into why it was made illegal in the first place. Racism and scare-tactics. And racism is one of the reasons it's still illegal today.
http://alexandraerin.tumblr.com/post/26676466268/

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

In response to “You should read into why it was made illegal...

Industrialised hemp is legal in almost every country in the world except the US. Hemp is not a racist product. The people may be but hemp is not. It's no more racist than cotton or tobacco. But it's a hell of a lot more useful.

Scientist Scientist OP

I didn't say that hemp was racist. The reasons it was made illegal are racist. William Randolph Hearst worked on scare tactics that fed off the people's racism to make sure that hemp became illegal so that he won't have competition for his paper mill. Also, the fact the Mexicans would make profit off of it was also a factor on why it was made illegal. The link explains it very well.

And racism is one of the reason it's still illegal today. Black youth are incarcerated for it statistically more often even though less of them actually smoke marijuana. We all know the stereotypes surrounding them and this is just a reflection of the racist fear that led to it being made illegal in the first place. The criminal system is very racist.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

Hemp=/=Marijuana. You can't get high off industrialised hemp. It's like comparing a Great Dane and a Golden Retriver. Yes they are in the same family but to call them the same is completely incorrect. Which is another reason it's so absurd that it's illegal. Especially still.

Scientist Scientist OP

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't base everything on one source, but I read that marijuana is the same thing as hemp but the word "marijuana" was used to make a familiar plant seem "foreign" and thus make the public less willing to accept it. And when congress made marijuana illegal, they didn't realize that they were making hemp illegal too. I'm not too sure though I don't know too much about it:P I'm okay with legalizing industrialized hemp though.

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

The scientific name is Cannabis sativa L while what is smoke is Cannabis sativa C.
Because I don't feel like explaining the technical differences, I'll just give you a visual aid.

This is Cannabis sativa C. This is the "drug" (Though I still think it should be legal too but that's not what the post is about)
http://ctrlv.in/101401

And this is Cannabis sativa L. The one that was some how confused with the "drug"
http://ctrlv.in/101400

If you would like to research the difference in the two
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp
^That is a fantastically written article and I applaud whoever did it. There are also numerous documentaries on Netflix about it both Hemp and Marijuana for recreational and medical uses. I highly recommend you watch at least one. I watched one today The Union: Business Behind Getting High which focuses much more on the legality of it and only really touches on the effects of the drug itself. But does have a nice little section on the medical benefits. Super High Me goes much more in to the life of a marijuana smoker. Those are the only two on Netflix I've seen. If you don't have an account but you really would like to learn about it message me for my info.

Scientist Scientist OP

Sorry I just realised I only put in an article about Hemp. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)
I haven't read that one so I can't confirm it's accuracy but I've never really been let down by wikipedia. And it's better than a government site which is sure to lie.

Scientist Scientist OP

I'll check out the articles. Thanks for the info. (y)

CherryBlossom CherryBlossom

Not a problem! Anything to help further the hemp campaign.

Scientist Scientist OP

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I believe you are slightly misinformed. The way I understood it, there are three main strains of cannabis; sativa, indica, and ruderalis. I believe sativas contain a lower ratio of tryrahydrocannabinol : cannabidol than indicas, and female members of both of those are where the bud comes from. Males produce negligible amounts of the psychoactive cannabinoids, as does the while strain of pure ruderalis. It was my understanding that ruderalis was the strain used for hemp. Again, I'm not saying you are incorrect, this is just how I understand it. I could be wrong.

@Cherryblossom: Hemp is still illegal because everything is about the money. A resource so readily available and useful would put a lot of people out of business, so politicians realize that advocating the illegality of hemp is a sure-fire way to get tons of money for lobbying by the people who are threatened by hemp. That's one reason, anyway.

Mike_Hawk Mike_Hawk

You're absolutely right. I just gave the primary example because I used up my carachter limit.

Scientist Scientist OP

Are hemp hearts different than hemp? Because they sell hemp hearts at Costco.

ThymeAgain ThymeAgain

In response to “Are hemp hearts different than hemp? Because...

Yes. Hemp items can be sold in the U.S. But that is all. Growing, manufacturing, and everything else is illegal. So everything Hemp you buy is imported.

Scientist Scientist OP

Oooooh okay. That's kinda stupid. :/

ThymeAgain ThymeAgain

I have a bag made out of hemp and I love it it's so tough yet soft. I also use cosmetics made out of hemp such as lip gloss and moisturiser and soap because hemp oil is much better for your skin than what is used in other products. My friend has terrible eczema and the steroid creams that she was prescribed did nothing and just made her skin sting, she got recommend a hemp based moisturiser and it pretty much cleared it up.

SpearmintMilk SpearmintMilk