EgotisticalBlake11roysK_Steezysprite590mashredsoxgirlie95SobriquetAllSmiiilessWinniethePoohheythereilikeurhairilikefurrywolves4815ScottyDJonesyAdonisBatheuskipkayifyyesnomaybeLoganWarshonawesomesocksHectic_GlowInarilucichbangsinsertwittynameherejdtscooterKazziehanybananyTheBroadwayAuditionCelestialjessSuperSukhpersonThingylivelovemusic12goodtimeAriodanteStatefarmctiscoolerrminaHoudinisPrestigemakeup_nerdscojoOxoCubeMehhhpokerface111cocaine_samuraiTrishsuperkeeliriteamiBun10_Jojo_armtheangels

lanaMinecraftChickenSuzywao

ScottyDilikefurrywolves4815lienKathrynSarwatMtrenchieGabbyBolacitoSuperSukhlolgirlBun10TheBroadwayAuditioncocaine_samuraihunterManAzak
People shouldn't judge a religion by the bad and extreme indiviuals that the media fames; you know what they say, don't judge a book by the idiots that misinterpret and abuse it, amirite?

While I agree, it does seem like some books are pretty easily "misinterpreted" and some religions are more prone to extremism than others.

Logan Logan

Logan Logan

In response to “While I agree, it does seem like some books...

Every religion has questionable teachings. EVERY religion. Whether someone interprets them as right or wrong is up to the individual. thats like saying "my sword is sharp but i dont cut people with it, But his sword is sharp and he looks scary because i know nothing about him so i'm assuming he cuts people with it." if you don't get my analogy i dont care.

I_Fly_Sometimes I_Fly_Sometimes

But not every religion has lines in their holy books about great massacres of peoples with different beliefs. Not all religions are the same, not by a long shot, and you would know that if you have studied other religions. Yes, ultimately, the interpretation is up to the individual, but that's not the point of what I said. If you have a religion that contains lines like Deuteronomy 7:1-2 or Qur'an Surah 9:5, it's quite different from a religion that contains no such lines in their religious texts.

Logan Logan

Just to clear things up i have studied other religions. And concluded my opinion i posted above. not all scriptures have stuff in them about great massacres? That's absurd. It's almost guaranteed that every religion DOES have that somewhere.

Religion will always have extremists and fundamentalists. EVERY religion. It's just that the media tends to only show the religions that they want so you don't hear about it as often as say... Catholicism.
Whether you choose to be ignorant or not to the fact that your religion doesn't always bring forth 'salvation' is up to you. The thing that surprises me so very much about religion as a topic, is how people can be so close minded. The reason i used that analogy up there is because it's about prejudice. Have you grown up in an islamic based faith? Do you know everything there is to know about islam? And yet you used them as an example like you knew. I can tell you quotes from every scripture of almost EVERY religion OUT OF CONTEXT and prove to you that every religion looks bad if you don't know enough about them. I'm just stating my opinion and your'e stating yours. I'm not attacking you so i apologise if it feels like that.

I_Fly_Sometimes I_Fly_Sometimes

I am talking about what is said in a religion's holy texts outside of interpretation because we are talking about how different interpretations skew the religion. But if something can be so easily interpreted in that "skewed" way then you can't just blame the people who interpret it that way, you have to look at what they are interpreting. Radical Muslims do interpret the messages in the Qur'an about Jihad as being offensive messages, meaning that they are commanding Muslims to have people converted, or if they refuse, killed. Other Muslims interpret those lines as defensive, meaning that they only apply when Muslims are attacked. So whose interpretation is correct? The radical Muslims might be looked on as nuts by other people, but they are convinced their interpretation is correct.

I am not saying it is, but if you have texts that can be interpreted that way, you have to look at the texts themselves. You can't only look at the people that interpret them that way. Not all religions are equal. Some religions' messages are more peaceful than others. You can't pretend that everything is equal; you have to be willing to look at the differences and what's int he text that causes...

Logan Logan

...these more "undesirable" interpretations. In the Book of Leviticus, it says to put homosexuals to death. There are religions where it says nothing like that in their texts. So if someone interprets those lines as being relevant to this day, you can't simply say "they're crazy, the religion is actually peaceful", you have to be willing to say "WHY did they interpret it that way? What is it about the text that makes people interpret it that way?" I'm not willing to just write off extremists as "crazy"...their beliefs don't come from nowhere and they often come from the same texts that the more peaceful followers use. Looking at the texts will help explain their beliefs.

I KNOW that all religions have extremists and I KNOW that there are violent messages in a lot of religions. But some religions DO have more violent messages than others and some religions do have more extremists than others. And there are many reasons for that, and it is worth looking at.

I am not talking about context. I am talking about HOW people really do interpret things.

Logan Logan

I suppose it would be easier to agree to disagree, while i understand where you're coming from I still hold a different opinion. It was interesting hearing from a different perspective though.

I_Fly_Sometimes I_Fly_Sometimes

I judge the religion by what it says in it's religious text and by the people of that religion whom I come in contact with everyday. I still hate religion, though.

Madie Madie

I don't the message should be 'don't judge a religion by the bad people' but 'don't judge a religion by who the minority is'. Obviously, if a religion is mainly full of extremists, then people are going to judge the religion in that way - and I wouldn't blame them.

dini190

In response to “I don't the message should be 'don't judge a...

But see, if a religion is full of extremists, then that is not a religion, that's a cult. You did understand the message I was trying to send about not judging a religion on its minority, who could be giving that religion a bad or simply inaccurate image.

BballFoSho OP

Actually, a cult is a small secretive religious group that is typically led by a charismatic leader. Just because a religion has extreme views, doesn't make it a cult.

Logan Logan