cazhaztoezHappyStarlight_dragonAWillBlake11roysMaryRevolutionSNacklefoodleAboobooshoobooHMDuckyBun10LinksLegionaireEssemsmattafuStacytheHarlotDeathelfpokerface111mashScientistislanderkirrilleeacornsrockCanadiaNDPlucichMayasuperkeelictiscoolerNikola_Goddamn_TeslaLamb_of_GodInkburntbreadHeyJud3i_dont_eat_humansMusicIsAGiftyesnomaybeslairsupercoolbakerOffbeatToastergoodtimeInariTrishMungJumperPhilboydStudgeAnnajoy97WakingLifealohomoramyheartThymeAgainCherryBlossomKirstenAnnx2502man

Originality_is_Deadfrogy8theflyemilysoccer2MyHotHotJamHectic_GlowGolfWangUmmmmUmUmUmUmmmmmmmsparesecondsHorseboatKristenLittleRed613

PhilboydStudge
It's pretty stupid that 3/196 countries still use the imperial system after many countries countries changed to the metric system. amirite?

Not really. It's a more accurate scale. (I'm speaking of course of whole number intervals. I understand decimal places, I'm not retarded.)
And we've been using it for a very long time, switching so many things over would take an incredible amount of time, money, and effort for no gain whatsoever.
AND contrary to what people who don't even live here believe, we use both.

So, no. It's really not stupid.

You know, it really ticks me off when people insult other people in other countries passively with arguments like this. There is nothing to suggest that one way is better than another. Also, your country having things in place that are beyond your control doesn't make you any smarter or better than someone from another country which has different things in place beyond their control.

TL;DR
Your country having things in place that are beyond your control doesn't make you any smarter or better than someone from another country which has different things in place beyond their control.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

Adopting a new system is never easy when the current one has been used for so long.

dzmax

So, no. It's really not stupid.

TL;DR

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “Not really. It's a more accurate scale. (I'm...

I'm guessing that you're a Redditor, given your addition of a TL;DR. You get an upvote for that

smattafu

In response to “I'm guessing that you're a Redditor, given...

Yeah I'm not seeing an upvote.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “Yeah I'm not seeing an upvote.

There you go. More upvotes for everyone!

smattafu

Pretty sure a lot of people say tl;dr who aren't on Reddit.

Anonymous

How on Earth is the imperial system more accurate? Most metric units are smaller than their closest imperial counterpart (centimetre<inch, kilometre<mile, etc.).
I know that Australia used to used the metric system up until about 1970 (having used it since British colonization, obviously), and the metrication process has been very successful. No-one under about 25 even knows how long an inch is, or how fast 30 mph is.

And by the way, summarising your post in exactly the same words that you just used is really not the purpose of tl;dr segments.

Essem Essem

In response to “How on Earth is the imperial system more...

Here's my question.
Why the absolute **** does it bother you so much what people in other countries are doing? You have absolutely no reason to give a shit.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “Here's my question. Why the absolute ****...

I could ask you the same question. You really seem to hate metric users.

Essem Essem

In response to “I could ask you the same question. You really...

Never even remotely suggested that.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “Never even remotely suggested that.

This is true. I read too much into it, I think. Although you did insult it a bit. However, I never suggested that the use of imperial measurement in the US bothered me. I just provided counterarguments to the points you raised.

Essem Essem

In response to “This is true. I read too much into it, I...

The op suggested it was stupid and if I came off as rude it's because I really don't understand why the **** it's a huge deal. We use different shit for everything. One country to the next even something as simple as a drink size or fashion choices are entirely different but no one sits around and insults people who drink out of 16oz bottles or wear flats.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

In response to “The op suggested it was stupid and if I came...

The two things that really irritate me are the different electrical plugs and DVD regions. Not just the US, either. EVERYWHERE has to have something different. But that's not the topic at hand, so I'll stop.

Essem Essem

In response to “The two things that really irritate me are...

Lol. I hate that phone charger plugs (and mp3 players) are like all different from brand to brand.

frogy8thefly frogy8thefly

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/senior_year/science
I think this pretty much explains why the metric system is more practical.

Bun10 Bun10

Yes but the point is, most country's changed the way they measured things in some UN agreement (Not quite sure about it, but I've heard about it a few times) in the same agreement, they decided that Non-English speaking countries would use English as a second language.

Also, take note that I'm not insulting you, or the people in your country. I'm saying, it's stupid, as a whole. For a country to Ignore that agreement that everyone else took seriously is odd. /shrug.

cazhaztoez cazhaztoez OP

3/196 sounds like something out of the imperial measurement system.

I bet it would have been called something weird, like a rail. It would have been used as a small unit of length. 36 of these would have been equal to an inch.

"Three rails of vulcanised rope!" one would say. "I have a quill needing the repairs!"
"That is two pounds twenty-three," replies the shopkeeper.
And they will both go on their merry way.

smattafu

In response to “3/196 sounds like something out of the...

Don't forget it's the same amount of courses the Queen has at her daily meals.Or some shit like that.

cazhaztoez cazhaztoez OP

ummm it says 3/196 because there are 3 countries that use it, out if 196 counties in the world...

MyHotHotJam MyHotHotJam

In response to “ummm it says 3/196 because there are 3...

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying that the number looks like it would be a common number in the Imperial system. They use weird numbers.

smattafu

I live in America so of course I've grown up using the imperial system but each year we are taught at least some about the metric system & in chemistry we do conversions with it so I can at least do basic math using the metric. :)

Anonymous

In response to “I live in America so of course I've grown up...

Yeah, most scientists prefer to use the metric system because it easier to write report and understand other countries reports easier :)

cazhaztoez cazhaztoez OP

I live in the United States and I use both. Which one I use depends on what I'm talking about.
Metric: Length, Distance (due to this, speed as well), Volume.
Imperial: Temperature, Weight/Mass

MusicianOfExtremes MusicianOfExtremes

It's annoying that I have to waste time in school learning to convert metric into imperial because Americans refuse to stop using King Henry's foot as a unit of measurement.

~

In response to “It's annoying that I have to waste time in...

Telling someone's height in feet and inches, or construction workers measuring cut sizes in inches....over here, it's as much ingrained into our culture as using a toilet. We will never, ever, ever, start saying things like "I'm 1.6 meters tall," or, "I weight 87 kilograms." We're comfortable with our system and we love it.

613

But I agree that it's retarded that your curriculum thinks YOU need to learn the Imperial measurement system, just because Americans use it. We wouldn't care if it was necessary to translate numbers with Germans. We love Germans. Almost as much as we love measuring **** size in inches.

613

It's a habit we can't shake. Here in Canada we switched decades ago, but c'mon. Pounds, feet, inches....measuring the human body in centimeters and kiliograms is just not heard of. It's weird.

The important thing is that our scientists use the metric system, which improves their productivity.

Do Germans measure their **** size in centimeters?

613

I'm working on my degree, online, from a cheap house in a rural village. I wish pal, I wish.

613