wilmanamefitSkr3wBallRainbootsilovepotatoesPrincessMidgieohlookitsmattIgorFaaaMulaaanBlacklightsAndQueenssuperkeeli_Jojo_Cocaia12912BuddyCakesjpn518brunetterox915faithnamedmeCaitlintagafterawhileItsATrapflynSpaghettiMonsterIzzie_23Tatum_MinusChanningSirJalapenoPepperWatchful_questioneerrilaracoasterkidslairMusicianOfExtremesYouCanRebelJankofettabbeydMyHotHotJamSquaffleThymeAgainrowannePuroboricua13SpatulaCityLovaticxoeaf5050LikestostandonthingsheythereilikeurhairBenBiggs_____PurpleGumDropgommy2bearriteamicrazyllamasMoeTheFro64lucich

notmuchnotmuchCellar_DoorBigTRexamiwhiteMayalivelovemusic12cookiedoughSpanishGirlRockPiperTheSlayerHappyAsASamsabrinaahmed52Faithfulcassey664fuzalasabachthani

SirJalapenoPeppertagabbeydLenFaaaMulaaan

I think when they call them brave they refer to them not giving up on living their life. You obviously only have a very limited, if any, effect on whether or not you survive a disease, but being brave is staring down the deadly disease and refusing to stop living your life until it is taken from you.

BonslyGuy BonslyGuy

You have just politely worded what I shout at the TV when someone with a fatal illness is called "brave", "inspirational" and worst of all "beautiful". Yes it really is horrible that they have this illness and they might be dealing with this very well but that does not make them brave or inspirational and has nothing to do with their physical appearance. To me, brave is a firefighter or someone along that line.

FaaaMulaaan FaaaMulaaan

In response to “You have just politely worded what I shout at...

I would argue, as a couple others here already have, that if you aren't crying nonstop in a corner wailing about how your life is over and/or killing yourself, I'd definitely consider that brave and inspirational. However, I agree that "beautiful" is idiotic pandering. It's very much used only so the speaker can feel superior in their open mindedness and "refusal to conform to society's notions of beauty".

MrRite MrRite

In response to “I would argue, as a couple others here...

agreed :) Yeah if you read what I said further down I corrected myself a little bit on the bravery thing. But yes, "beautiful" is definitely the worst.The only person that makes feel better is the person who says it.

FaaaMulaaan FaaaMulaaan

BonslyGuy BonslyGuy

In response to “I think when they call them brave they refer...

Furthermore, you don't have "no choice but to live with it". Some people kill themselves, some people don't fight it, etc.

Logan Logan

In response to “Furthermore, you don't have "no choice...

I understand what you're saying and it is amazing how strong some people are when faced with illness but its like "brave" is so thrown around now in these cases that people say it before they even know how the person deals with it. My dad has Lymphoma, a blood cancer and he is coping with it very well and living life to the full every day, which is amazing. I also have an uncle who, due to an illness is now paralyzed from the waist down, yet he is horrible to everyone, blames the world for his problem and makes anyone who tries to help him feel like crap. Why is it though that these 2 men in my life handle their illnesses so differently yet are both automatically called "brave" as soon as people find out what is wrong with them? It takes the shine off of those who actually ARE brave in these situations.

FaaaMulaaan FaaaMulaaan

If I had a fatal illness, I'd probably be hating my life and cursing every minute of it and become depressed; I'm a coward (not always). But when I see someone coping with their illness, fighting with all their might to get cured, being happy and smiling, even if it's forced, enjoying their time, helping others, living their life normally, then yeah they definitely are brave. Being brave doesn't always have to do with something physical; a person coping with their illness is much braver than someone who stands up to a bully. So yes not everyone with a fatal illness is necessarily brave, but someone dealing with it and facing it is yes indeed brave.

Maya Maya