xxdetroitxxTheBlindManItsATrapRobertSineCellar_DoorPhilboydStudgeSkr3wBallWunderscorefaithnamedmeRachhWatchful_questioneerSergLuv2golf42897LoganSeatagScottyDKirstenAnnMayaBlindMistslairCocaia12912StickCavemanmileycyrusAnnajoy97JankofettZachNSC14MusicIsAGiftcookiedoughCloKamalict34PiperTheSlayerIAMSTORMClubMagdyRetooserhydroGENShannonIsAUnicornFlutegirl007SetUp4Sarcasmallofthisalexmarsukai503Fv92justwondering28SpanishGirlRockDramaGrl151Readzhazelflexaluffvampire_academy_Jojo_

riteamisaywhenqwerty123ballet_apocalypsesgtpepperlivelovemusic12muddyringletsfuzala

Nobody :(

The actual sad thing is that you can't forget some of the stuff that the blatantly false crap they taught you.

VicZinc VicZinc

Im graduating high school this year, and as I was thinking back to sophomore year I realized that I seriously don't remember anything from chemistry except how to balance equations ...

tag tag

I'm not sure. I'm in college, but a lot of the stuff that I learned in high school was a building block to what I'm learning now.

rilara

In response to “I'm not sure. I'm in college, but a lot of...

it's true

it all sorta comes back
regurgitates once you hear it again
but going more in depth

fuzala fuzala

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “The actual sad thing is that you can't forget...

which parts are false crap?

fuzala fuzala

In response to “which parts are false crap?

Well my deary you well know that my opinion is that all of it is false (or at least only a guess.) The blatantly false stuff could (and does) fill many, many textbooks.

Some small examples are:
1) that the boston massacre was a massacre (more liking the three people killed were part of a mob that attacked the soldiers)
2) that Columbus discovered America (he probably landed in the West Indies)
3) that electrons revolve around the nucleus like planets around the sun (electron seem to behave more like waves, not like particles)
4) that the US has a democracy (it is a more likely a republic)
5) that Edison invented the radio (it was probably either Marconi or Tesla)
6) that Lincoln fought the Civil war to free the slaves (he probably started and fought the war over taxes, the whole slave thing came about years after the war started later)
7) that there were 13 original colonies in america (Delaware was never declared a colony from what most historians can determine.)
8) that glass is a slow moving liquid (the viscosity is more like 10|23rd, pretty solid by any standard)
9) that America ended slavery before most of Europe (the USA was one of the last countries to legal end slavery and it was likely that international pressure, more so than the Civil War, that lead to the Emancipation Proclamation)
10) that Europeans kidnaped Africans and sold them as slaves in the Americas (they seem to have bought them from other Africans, not captured them, the practice of Africans sell slaves to slave traders goes back to biblical times.)
11) that diamonds are just highly compressed coal (both are pure carbon, but seem they come from completely different substrates and tectonic mechanisms)
12) that the signers of the Declaration of Independence were Christian*
13) that humans evolved from monkeys. (humans probably evolved, but likely not from monkeys, rather they evolved from early humanoids)
14) that the settlers at Plymouth started the Thanksgiving tradition by sharing a meal with their new Native American friends. [there is ample evidence that the settlers in Virginia considered the "indians" sub-human and may have actually eaten them during the hard winters. The Thanksgiving holiday wasn't commonly practiced much before WWII ]

I could go on but you get the idea.

*Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin wrote about being deists. George Washington claimed to be a pantheist. John Adams was a Unitarian. Alexander Hamilton was an atheist as a youth and became a Christian in old age according to his writings. Remember the country was founded on the principle of freedom "from" religion because people wanted to get away from the European tradition of persecuting non-believers.

VicZinc VicZinc

In response to “Well my deary you well know that my opinion...

ohhhh

1) Yup, I was taught that it was a massacre. Live and learn. I don't remember much about that though.

2) I was somewhat taught that Columbus discovered America, but my Spanish instructor fixed that during the culture section of the class.

3) I was never taught electrons revolved around like the planets.

4) I was taught US is a democracy, but in the 12th grade, my substitute teacher said it was a representative republic. I talked about it on here twice: http://amirite.com/744731-if-we...mirite/1860181

5) Yeah, I didn't learn Edison invented the radio. I did learn he invented the light bulb. There's more to that though. I think someone else made a light bulb before him. This could also be because of the Edison episode from the show Arthur on PBS. The show didn't really clarify which kind of light bulb.

I did learn about Tesla because of an amiriter's profile: http://www.amirite.com/user/Nikola_Goddamn_Tesla

6) I did not know about the Civil War being over taxes. When I think Civil War, I think Emancipation Proclamation.

7) I was taught there were 13 colonies. I don't think I had any clue about Delaware until you mentioned it.

8) I don't think I learned that about glass.

9) When learning about slavery, my teachers focused on America. They didn't mention which area freed first except when talking about Canada. I was taught Canada was quicker on the uptake there.

10) There wasn't much focus on who sold Africans. I don't think that ever came up. The talk about slavery started from reaching the territory. The "journey" there wasn't mentioned. Maybe it was because they thought we couldn't handle the graphic parts in elementary. Much later on, I went to a museum that sorta made you walk through a 3D version. It was pretty horrendous, and that's putting it mildly.

11) I think I did learn that about diamonds, but memories too fuzzy there.

12) In 9th grade biology, I didn't learn that it was from monkeys. I do vaguely remember things about homo this and homo that and neanderthals. Some students had a debate about evolution for extra credit. I did not know much about evolution until this year.

13) They never taught us that about the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Religion was barely mentioned if at all, until 10th grade in World History. There's a section of the book that talks about the world's major religions with each religion having it's own chapter I think. It is part of our history so it made sense to learn about it. The 3 I remember were Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism. I think Buddhism was in there too. I don't remember if Judaism was mentioned.

14) I did learn about Thanksgiving and settlers. They never really talked about the violent parts. Sames goes for the whole Columbus thing.

it's kinda fun recalling these memories

all and all
a lot of the information that was faulty was from elementary

it was fixed later on sometimes

but it makes sense since teachers and textbooks have room for error

I'm sure we're not always taught false things on purpose

and sometimes
we as students make false connections or fail to make accurate connections

fuzala fuzala

I'm a sophomore in high school, and I honestly don't remember much of anything in science and math from the past few years. I learn enough to pass, sure, but I feel like it's just a big waste of time that I could be using to learn something that's actually useful. I want to be a professional musician, so how will knowing Lewis Structures or cosines and tangents help me with that? I'd much rather be taking strings or a second band class or even Family and Consumer Sciences.

AshleyxApocalypse

There's no way of explaining this, without summarising the Irish education system, so here goes. The first three years of secondary school are spent preparing for the Junior Cert, a set of exams taken in between 8 and 12 subjects. Fourth year is an academic gap year, where you do non-traditional stuff. Fifth and sixth year are spent preparing for the leaving cert, which decides college places.

I've just finished fourth year, and I've noticed that random facts and stuff I learned for the Junior Cert, which I should have forgotten, can be triggered. Useless tidbits of information come flying to the front of my mind out of nowhere. I guess that means I haven't actually forgotten it, I've just stopped storing it in my RAM, so to speak.

muddyringlets muddyringlets