+349

Adults nowadays have forgotten the meaning of "addicted". They classify video games as an addiction, when an addiction is something like smoking, where you feel an overwhelming need to do something you don't want to do at all. Teens can stop playing video games whenever they want to, but the difference is, we don't want to give them up. amirite?

Pedo_Cats avatar
5 71
The voters have decided that Pedo_Cat is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

An addiction is a physical or psychological dependence on a substance. But it can also be a behavioral addiction [like gambling and computer usage].

In these kinds of common usages, the term addiction is used to describe a recurring compulsion by an individual to engage in some specific activity, despite harmful consequences, as deemed by the user himself to his individual health, mental state, or social life.

One can certainly be addicted to videogames. And it is certainly more and more common every day.

Do you realize that you're wrong? Like, REALLY wrong. I don't need to give a definition of "addiction" since two people already felt the need to clear it up for you. Which is a good thing, since you need clearing up.

Hello, I'm Johnny Locke and I'm a video game addict.

Addiction has lost it's 'punch' in the world today. Simply because someone enjoys something to distraction does not essentially cause them to be addicted. Addicts, of really anything, go through withdrawal symptoms when their addiction is taken away.

I myself am addicted to caffeine. I know this for a fact, as I've been through the symptoms when I had no caffeine. I may also be addicted to the internet, but that is debatable still. I have yet to encounter the symptoms of withdrawal from losing it.

Similarly, someone can be a user of said addictive substance without it addicting them. Another experience I had firsthand. I refuse to state what I was using, but I dropped it cold turkey easily.

So please, stop knocking everyone on their level of usage or addiction. Unless you know for a fact they have withdrawal symptoms upon removal of that which they use, you cannot call them addicted.

@StitchedScythe Addiction has lost it's 'punch' in the world today. Simply because someone enjoys something to distraction does not...

Gotta hate that caffeine addiction. Nearly killed me (via OD) a few times... Yet I still can't function without it... Damn chemical dependence...

@Gotta hate that caffeine addiction. Nearly killed me (via OD) a few times... Yet I still can't function without...

yeah, it really does suck. I haven't ODed yet, trying not to.

Coffee or Soda? i average a two-liter a day (soda).

Your post is partly true. It is true that playing video games can be, and often is, an addiction. It is also true, however that many times people throw around the term "addicted", so it is often applied to situations where the person Is not addicted. I'm guessing the second part is what you're referring to. Parents/other authority figures saying that someone is addicted to video games just because they play them often.

Ya there was an article in the newspaper that this teen got his xbox takin away from his parents and he killed them... That doesn't seem like he could just quit

being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (especially alcohol or narcotic drugs). So basicly you can be addicted to anything that you must do. So some people MUST play video games like me.

... It's an expression...

This is one of those posts that makes me wish for a "sort of/maybe" option...

Video games aren't addicting. I played them for like five years straight and I just got bored and quit last summer when I was 15. It's not that hard.

Spoken like a true addict. You're not only addicted, but video games are destroying your life and health. You will never have the willpower to stop playing them until they are taken away and you are forced to.

How did such a seemingly basic post turn into all this crap?? Thank goodness not every post gets 60 comments.

Most kids nowadays ARE "addicted" to playing games. They just can't stop, they're driven by an insatiable urge to play.

You're an idiot.

go outside

lol you know it's sad when there are more comments than votes on post :)

Exactly, exactly. :D Just because we like to do something doesn't mean we're addicted. These adults are just addicted to yelling or something...

@FranchMaserFunk Yeah, your a dumbass. An addiction doesn't just refer to smoking or drugs you moron

@172360 (FranchMaserFunk): Are you sure I'm the dumbass when you can't even figure out the contraction for the words "you are", and there's no period to speak of between the both of you? ;)

@Butts @172360 (FranchMaserFunk): Are you sure I'm the dumbass when you can't even figure out the contraction for the...

You are a type of person who is not very good at arguing. You attack his grammar. In a real argument you would attack the main point of his argument. That does not include him calling you a dumbass, since that wasnt a relevant point on his behalf either.

@You are a type of person who is not very good at arguing. You attack his grammar. In a real argument you would...

Actually, dear, I wasn't arguing for the amirite, I was arguing whether I'm a dumbass. I'm fantastic at arguing, you're just terrible at spectating.

@Butts Actually, dear, I wasn't arguing for the amirite, I was arguing whether I'm a dumbass. I'm fantastic at arguing...

Yeah. You lost@172381 (Kylias): If you were so damn smart, you'd know an addiction can apply to basically ANYTHING. But nice try

@Butts When did I say that I'm smart? ;)

By correcting grammar instead of giving facts to backup your statement

@FranchMaserFunk By correcting grammar instead of giving facts to backup your statement

I gave my thoughts, then responded to what I was given. I was given, "Your a dumbass", so I responded to, "Your a dumbass."

Argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), is an attempt to persuade which links the validity of a premise to a characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.

Ad hominem abusive usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent, but can also involve pointing out factual but ostensible character flaws or actions which are irrelevant to the opponent's argument. This tactic is logically fallacious because insults and even true negative facts about the opponent's personal character have nothing to do with the logical merits of the opponent's arguments or assertions. Henceforth, your argument is invalid.

This guy explains it for you if you don't understand:
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html

And try reading this book for a better understanding of fallacies in your arguments.
Informal Logic: A Pragmatic Approach.

@Argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "to the man"), is an attempt to persuade which links the validity of a premise to a...

I wasn't belittling her. I said that an addiction can apply to anything, rendering my argument 100% valid

@FranchMaserFunk She has yet to back up her argument with something other than grammar corrections.

Christ on a crutch, your reading comprehension skills are through the roof. See, this is why all you see is grammar corrections - because you don't seem to understand anything else I say.

@FranchMaserFunk You haven't given a single reason for WHY VIDEO GAMES CAN'T BE AN ADDICTION.

CAPSLOCK MAKES YOU COOL. I've been responding to, "Your a dumbass", and "Your opinion is invalid because you responded to "Your a dumbass", so of course I haven't given a reason. ;)

Yes, video games are habit-forming, but the thing about habits is that they're breakable. Is biting your nails an addiction? That's habit-forming too. What about absent-minded twisting of your hair? I guess I'm addicted to that.

@Butts CAPSLOCK MAKES YOU COOL. I've been responding to, "Your a dumbass", and "Your opinion is invalid because you...

There you go champ!!!

First off, I suggest you read over the definition below me because i'm sure it will help you understand what an addiction really is. If video games aren't addictive, then why did a 17 year old boy kill his mom because she took his PS2 away in 2005.

@Butts People get mugged and injured and probably even over pocket change.

Goodness, what happened there? ** probably even killed over

@Butts Goodness, what happened there? ** probably even killed over

An addiction applies to everything. Therefore there is no argument.

@FranchMaserFunk An addiction applies to everything. Therefore there is no argument.

If there is no argument, then why do you still feel the need to argue?

@FranchMaserFunk Cuz your an ugly whore

That's your best argument. Way to suck at life. Nice posts, by the way, I smell a troll. ;)

@Butts That's your best argument. Way to suck at life. Nice posts, by the way, I smell a troll. ;)

No, I gave my argument and there is really no rebuttal that would prove it wrong so I don't feel like continuing as your just a woman

@FranchMaserFunk No, I gave my argument and there is really no rebuttal that would prove it wrong so I don't feel like continuing as...

You had me going for awhile, then I noticed your trollicious posts. Either do a better job or get off my internet. xD

@Using the word, "see" twice in a sentence is a sign of poor diction.

Except that they were used as separate meanings.

See, this is why all you see is grammar corrections

The first see is asking you to see what I mean, while the second see is referring to what you have already seen / are already seeing. C:

@Butts Except that they were used as separate meanings. See, this is why all you see is grammar corrections The first...

To bad it's still poor diction, a skilled writer never uses the same word twice in a sentence. Besides, see is a weak transition word anyways.

@Butts Too bad you didn't use the proper too in your little lecture.

Too bad my minor slip up is over-shadowed by your ignorance.

@FranchMaserFunk She should get back in the kitchen

You're the kind of person who beats a joke to death.
Inb4 blending babies, kicking puppies, punching kittens.

@Omg, she's a /b/tard

seriously people just relax. video games are an addiction. everyone knows that.

@Omg, she's a /b/tard

If you mean me, then I'm afraid my post might have gone over your head. :'D

@Butts Christ on a crutch, your reading comprehension skills are through the roof. See, this is why all you see is grammar...

Hi, this is a bit far down from the comment I'm responding to, so I'll quote it.
"Christ on a crutch, your reading comprehension skills are through the roof."
The reason the whole fight started was because you decided to call FranchMaserFunk out on the fact that he used "your" instead of "you're", but you did the same thing in the quote above. Maybe you are a dumbass. Jus' sayin'. ;)

@Hi, this is a bit far down from the comment I'm responding to, so I'll quote it. "Christ on a crutch, your reading...

Oops, I'm an idiot, ignore the comment above. ^^

(I'm very quick to say things, and I'm really sorry about the dumbass part. At least we'll never meet in person.)

:D

@Butts Delicious copy-pasta.

You are an idiot. You completely ignore my point. Your not making a valid argument.

@Butts Delicious copy-pasta.

Kylias=women therefore her argument is invalid.

@279609

How did you spell my name wrong when it was a few pixels to the left?

@280336

Or because you're too much of a faggot to spell something that's right in front of you.