+313

I Found out that two men can father the same set of twin babies (meaning: one guy can be the biological father of one twin,and the other guy can be the biological father of the other). I guess I should be surprised but when you've been watching Maury and Jerry Springer for as long as I have, anything is possible :/, amirite?

hellos avatar
2 17
The voters have decided that hello is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Tons of different genes mix together when creating a baby's skin color, it's not like there's only one gene that determines your skin color. So I suppose it's possible to have two totally different colored twins, but they'd have to be fraternal and it would be HIGHLY unlikely. But of course, this is coming from someone who only has a basic grasp on the mechanics of human genetics, so someone please prove/disprove me.

@SweatyWalrus Tons of different genes mix together when creating a baby's skin color, it's not like there's only one gene that...

just say you were wrong. you tried to say the only way you can have twins is if you have an egg that has split. but thats not correct. you can actually have 2 fertilized eggs, also. and thats what happened in the case on maury. Its extremely rare, but its happened before. she had sex with a white man and got pregnant and maybe a day later, she cheated and had sex with a black man and SOMEHOW another egg became fertilized. you can go look it up if you'd like :)

I actually learned that on House, when he was watching a soap opera

Of course it's possible. It's when two eggs get released and then get fertilized by sperm from different men.

You just found that out? :/

it was in the world record book like over a year ago, a set of twins was born, one white one black.

@it was in the world record book like over a year ago, a set of twins was born, one white one black.

that can happen from one father. If the mother is white and the father is black or vice versa, and they have twins, the mother can give a gene for light skin and the father a gene for dark skin.

@So both the kids would be mixed, they wouldnt be totally different colors.

no, if they were fraternal twins, one could be as white as one parent, and the other could be as dark as the other.

@It splits the genes in half for each kid, so they would be mixed.

I've been studying genetics all year, that's not how it works. It's not a co-dominant gene like that. Genes don't split in half so that half the gene is from the mom and half is from the dad. That's just not right...

Your skin color genes don't "mix". (In order to prevent racism I'll have skin color a and skin color B) If one baby is a and one is B, that means that baby a didn't get the dominant B gene, so they were just a. The baby B may have gotten the a gene and the B gene, but the a gene is recessive so the baby becomes skin color B.

@Sofie that can happen from one father. If the mother is white and the father is black or vice versa, and they have twins...

I heard about that...BOTH the parents were half white and half black. It just happened that one of the (fraternal) twins got mostly 'white' genes, while the other got mostly 'black' genes. Very unlikely.

@187628

That means she did cheat on him with a dark-skinned man, and one of the babies got the light-skinned gene and one of the babies got the dark-skinned gene. There can't be two fathers of twins because twins aren't two fertilized eggs, twins are formed when one egg splits into two, creating two children from one sperm.

shit, by fraternal I meant they'd have to be two different eggs.