+271

That's so gay? Oh, right, getting detention is so HOMOSEXUAL! That cop gave you a ticket because he is so INTO THE SAME GENDER! This party is so MAN ON MAN ACTION! Seriously people, pull it together, amirite?

25 32

That's so lame? Oh, right, getting detention is so UNABLE TO WALK! That cop gave you a ticket because he is so NOT ABLE TO USE HIS FEET! This party is so DIFFICULT IN BEING ABLE TO MOVE! Seriously people, pull it together, amirite?

I personally don't mind 'gay' being used as a derogatory term... The people saying it usually don't mean it in a homophobic way. Its kinda the equivalent of calling someone a retard, its not literal and the person saying would be mortified if a mentally handicapped person got offended.

Emaphinas avatar Emaphina No Way +13Reply
@Emaphina I personally don't mind 'gay' being used as a derogatory term... The people saying it usually don't mean it in a...

Why isn't being mortified enough to stop someone from saying that, then? Besides, I doubt someone would be as mortified if they used "gay" in the context of being lame infront of a homosexual.

@Shadi Why isn't being mortified enough to stop someone from saying that, then? Besides, I doubt someone would be as...

That's because 'gay' is used so often most homosexuals don't even take it into account. It just seems petty. And I don't think about whether every word I say will offend someone. If I get angry at a printer and call it a spastic faggot, its because I hate the printer, not homosexuals or the mentally handicapped.

I always take the word "gay" into account. Gay is used so synonymously with lame often now that it is more likely that a person's first experience with the word "gay" will be in the context of lame, and that will only harbor resentment from those people who might eventually identify as gay.

You don't make someone feel more comfortable being themselves by using their identifier as a negative remark or insult, or I don't at least. I guess that just makes me a petty fag. un smilie

@Shadi I always take the word "gay" into account. Gay is used so synonymously with lame often now that it is more likely...

People choose to get offended by words. If someone says something hateful about thick blonds or dead babies I can laugh it off rather than see it as a personal attack. I guess I'm less sensitive than most people, and can't personally see why some people choose to see hate and prejudice where there is none.

It's called colloquialisms, buddy

KickAsss avatar KickAss No Way +12Reply

This post is so butt sex.

I use "gay" and "faggot" all the time in a negative way. I'm not comparing what I'm calling those words to homosexuals, I'm simply using those words in a negative way.

"Gay" and "faggot" didn't start out as terms for homosexuals, so they don't have to end up as terms for homosexuals. Meanings for certain words change over time.

@Mike_Hawk I use "gay" and "faggot" all the time in a negative way. I'm not comparing what I'm calling those words to...

Well I've seen that video a few times, might as well watch it again. Louis CK is always good.

Get over it. Gay means more than homosexual, or happy.

That party doesn't sound so bad.

Stop being so gay.

Guys hyperbole is stupid let's not use it ever

GryndStones avatar GryndStone Yeah You Are 0Reply

Most of us grew up in the time where being gay was a bad thing, thus giving the word gay a negative connotation. Generating vernacular is not as easy as one thinks, new words will have to catch on to the masses of people, maybe a rapper could manage something like that.

It's called evolution of language.

I've talked to a few gay people who don't mind when people say "that's so gay". A lot of them have said they hate it when people say things like this post because it's not like you're talking about a thing's sexuality when you say "that's so gay". A few of them are even offended by posts like this because it makes them feel the negative "That's so gay" is being compared to a negative about their sexuality.

It's just a word. If someone is offended by it, don't say it around them. That doesn't mean we should eliminate the saying completely.

wow reading the comments is such a pain in the ass. cum on you guys.

How about get the fuck over it?

Get over it. Every word you use is going to offend someone somewhere.

It's a synonym.

why does gay mean homo to you?

@TheChosenOne why does gay mean homo to you?

You are missing the step between where gay=homosexual

The transition of gay=homo to gay=wrong,negative implies that homo is wrong, negative

Why didn't anyone ever get confused about gay mean happy or homo? You never heard gay people complaining, "Why are you calling me gay? That means happy, implying that all gay people are perky and happy all the time that's such a stereotype!"

gay went from; gay=happy now gay= wrong, negative