+206

The phrase native Americans is actually an oxymoron. They came from Asia too, and probably originated in the middle east like the everyone else, amirite?

1johnbelievers avatar
0 14
The voters have decided that 1johnbeliever is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You mean Africa?

They're called 'Native' Americans because they were in America before everyone else.
It doesn't mean they were originally from America, it just means they were here longer.

There's no debate in the scientific community. We are 100% certain that the first humans were in Africa around 200,000 years ago, in what is today Erhiopia.

*Ethiopia

Actually, species that are "native" to an area aren't necessarily started there. They were just there long enough to be part of the food web. Therefore, Native Americans (who, unlike Europeans, actually were part of the food chain) are native.

Although I agree it's NOT an oxymoron, an oxymoron is when two words that mean something that contradict each other, like freezer burn, all you're saying is that native American is innaccurate. Learn your terminology

Actually, that is up for debate. There is little know about the true origins. Some believe we began in Africa, others in Asia. Of course, there's the possibility that we originated before the split of pangea... Who knows?!
But I agree... the Native Americans aren't Native to America.

Well, it's not 100% certain. I'm by no means an expert, but I took a class on North American archaeology this past semester and we learned that while it is most certain that humans began there journey in Africa, we do know that all humans aside from those in Africa passed through the Middle East.
Anyway, in my original post I was thinking of this fact, that all Europeans, Asians, Aborigines and "Native" Americans passed through the middle east. Given that we can assume it started in Africa, I should have said Africa. Thanks for the correction. And I think this is a very interesting topic.

They were just the original inhabitants of the continent. Not that they were "native" to it. given, they'd been here for thousands of years but still.

"like the everyone else?" Why, hello Ms. Teen South Carolina! Maybe Native Americans came from the Iraq? Haha kids nowadays.. So cute with their inability to write properly.

Actually, a good amount of evidence points to the origins of the human to be in Africa, along with a variety of other mammals, not to mention the middle east is the first recorded CIVILIZATION, not human

Genetically, they're not the same as Europeans or Africans ( little things, obviously we're all homo sapiens sapiens).