+621

What if a goldfish's mind held all the secrets in the universe in that 3 second memory span? It would be in the greatest bliss in the world; reaching an infinite state of enlightenment and satisfaction, forgetting it all so none of the troubles can reach you, and then having that joy of discovery all over again... amirite?

RoflWaffles avatar
15 17
The voters have decided that RoflWaffle is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

wait-actually dolphins know they everything in the universe-DONT PANIC

Goldfish have long term memory. I trained a few once, to prove it.

@RoflWaffle Interesting, how did u train it?

I made a ring out of a coat hanger, and once a day I put it in the water, and when they swam through it, I fed them. Eventually they swam through it right away every day, whereas in the beginning it took them at least 20 minutes. Just for fun, I gradually made the ring higher and higher until they had to jump out of the water to get through. :p

What a beautiful thought!

Maybe the fish could figure out how not to forget everything eventually. Still a cool thought though.

Total props go to anyone who knows where that idea is from

Thoughts are only as fast as neurons which travel approximately at the speed of light. In 3 seconds, it would be impossible to know the secrets of an ever expanding universe with maximum thought speed as it is.

@skinzfan602 Thoughts are only as fast as neurons which travel approximately at the speed of light. In 3 seconds, it would be...

But neurological science isn't completely understood, we have no idea what the 'maximum thought speed' is if there even is one. And we don't know if thoughts are limited by the boundaries of the speed of light. We know how fast a message travels through the body, but not really anything about thoughts that are centralized in the brain.

Goldfishes life span is actually around 6 weeks - 3 months. The whole 3 second thing is just a myth :P

I thought it was 10 seconds...

@I thought it was 10 seconds...

Oh well, not like it matters, the concept is still the same.

I think you spend way too much time staring at your fish dude

@I think you spend way too much time staring at your fish dude

lol, I didn't come up with that idea, I found it in a book