+578

Why do foreign language teachers make you pick a name that is from that nationality? even if you go to that country youre still gonna be called by the name you were born with, amirite?

maura17s avatar Education
3 27
The voters have decided that maura17 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

My Spanish teacher let us choose random names. In my class alone, there was a Francesca, Margarita, Lolita, and Chiquita. The teacher gave up.

Retoosers avatar Retooser Yeah You Are +8Reply

My name is Chelsea. The French called me Shellsea until I told them it is just like the soccer team, then they were able to say it properly.

If your name is Eric (like me) and you go to Mexico, people will call you Enrique.

@If your name is Eric (like me) and you go to Mexico, people will call you Enrique.

If your name is Ann-Katrin in Germany it will be the same, lol

My Spanish teacher wouldn't even let us pick the Spanish equivalent of our name (Jorge for George, Alejandro for Alex, etc.)... she had us pick these random ass names. And by the second half of the year she was just calling us our given names anyways. -.-

@jcad16 Same for me in the 8th grade. My name is Jessica, and somehow I became Marguerite.

My name's Jessica too... and I was called Marisol for some reason. (I never picked the name, so she just gave me one.)

I'm Jacqueline in French, but my teacher says it like JOCK-leeeeeene. She refuses to call us by our regular names...

@I'm Jacqueline in French, but my teacher says it like JOCK-leeeeeene. She refuses to call us by our regular names...

They're pronouncing it the way the french would. It's better than robert=roberto!

they do that?? lol they never do that here

we had one teacher call us senor/senorita ____ but we never picked out new names...

My name apparently doesn't have a spanish equivalent, so while someone else would be "Roberto" or something, I was always just "Taylor".

@Statefarm My name apparently doesn't have a spanish equivalent, so while someone else would be "Roberto" or something, I was...

Our teacher tries to do the Spanish equivalent and there's a Taylor in my class and her name is Sastre. Although that doesn't sound anything like Taylor. Whatever

My Spanish teacher always called me Estephanie. I'm pretty sure I'll still be called Stephanie in a Spanish-speaking country.

Stepharoos avatar Stepharoo Yeah You Are 0Reply

Hahahaha, mines Shakira :) which isn't even close to my real name.

We have to pick Spanish names each year (starting with 6th grade when my school taught Spanish), and in 7th grade our teacher couldn't remember our Spanish names or sometimes even English names.

Im my spanish class we are allowed to pick our names so we have a Alejandro, Fernando, Roberto, Jesus, Pablo, Ect. (basally all the funny names)

Ringo_Starrs avatar Ringo_Starr Yeah You Are 0Reply

In my French class, my teacher had a list of names we could choose from, not ones close to our names though. I became Brigette, but my real name is already a French name...

When you go to a foreign country, they might attempt to call you by your same name, but they're going to say it with their accent. It's just something you get used to.

my name is Emma and my spanish name is Emelia.

They obviously don't do it for you to get a foreign name, it's to use that culture/language's names with your peers to feel what it is like to live in that country. I mean you won't feel very Russian if you keep calling everyone Jake and Bob.

My french name is Isabelle(: we all call eachother by our french names. I dont even know everyones real name and some people call me izzy out of that class now. Its sad, but fun(:

Seriously? Some of my Chinese friends from this summer probably still don't even know what my English name is... If any of them called me by it, I would probably be more confused than anything...

My French teacher let us choose whether we wanted to change it or not

We never had that in my German class in high school, but my teacher told us that when she would go to France, they would call her Mary, instead of her name, Janice.

We just use our normal names, I've never heard of anyone having to pick a different name.