+983

Pregnant 15 year old in 1710: "It's good that she's finally found a husband, I was worried that she was going to become an old maid." Pregnant 15 year old in 2010: "WHORE!", amirite?

15 13

You made a mistake its actually: pregnant 15 year old 2010: "Let's give her a T.V. show!!!"

Pregnant 15 year old in 2020: "Oh God, what an old maid."

I sense a cycle, minus the marriage.

There's a high life expectancy now. In 1710, people only lived to about 25-35 on average. Now, people live to about 65-80, at least.
Now it's weird to rush into a family.

@Katffro There's a high life expectancy now. In 1710, people only lived to about 25-35 on average. Now, people live to about...

Psh. 25-35? I think it was a bit longer than that. And life expectancy shouldn't change the morality of a 15 year old getting pregnant.

@Gaussian Psh. 25-35? I think it was a bit longer than that. And life expectancy shouldn't change the morality of a 15 year...

Meh. I might have exaggerated.
But back then, if people wanted to have a family, they had to start early. Since we live longer now, it's normal to not have a kid until late 20s-early 30s. And back then, people wanted more kids. You can't have more kids if you start reproducing in your early 30s.

Life expectancy has everything to do with what age you should be starting a family at. In the 1700's, being 18 meant basically half of your life was over.

That's cause they didn't live long though. Now they're just babies.

It wasn't only the life expectancy, things were A LOT different back then; women at the time took care of the whole family besides having jobs and more rights. People, or should I say kids, were also a lot more morally-inclined as well. Technology is another factor too. [:

dude people lived till at least their 60s-70s back then, your thinking like the dark ages or something

@dude people lived till at least their 60s-70s back then, your thinking like the dark ages or something

in the 1700's maybe 19-20 was the average range to start a family and you basically would have 15 babies cus half them will die and the other half need to help on the far. In the anytime earlier then the 1600's life expectancy was only about to the 30's so people were getting married and having babies in the early teens