+567

Maybe some guy named Richard was a real jerk, so people code-named him 'Dick', and it just kind of caught on, amirite?

Your_Average_Zebras avatar
9 8
The voters have decided that Your_Average_Zebra is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It actually comes from mid-evil England. Since there were very few names that people would name their children, people would shorted their names to nicknames. To further dilute the pool of naming, they would change those nicknames to rhyming words. Richard -> Rick -> Dick. Same as Robert -> Rob -> Bob.

Homepaged!

@wobbuffet Homepaged!

On the condition that this is an original joke...I don't think I've seen it before.

@wobbuffet On the condition that this is an original joke...I don't think I've seen it before.

I saw a post that said "How did they get 'Dick' out of 'Richard'?" Or something to that effect, and then this post happened. So, yea, I'd consider it an original, since i thought of it by myself.

@Your_Average_Zebra I saw a post that said "How did they get 'Dick' out of 'Richard'?" Or something to that effect, and then this post...

my comment from that post: "well you see, Richard was a HUGE dick and the nickname sort of stuck." kind of close. but i'm not saying you stole it or anything like that

Probably was shortened from Richard to Rich.. Then to Rick.. Then to Dick.