+1,465

You wanna slap those kids that are like "I hate reading! It's soooo boring!" Well, you're obviously not reading the right books, there are so many in existence that it's impossible not to find one that interests you, amirite?

kodabear911s avatar
29 51
The voters have decided that kodabear911 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The world is getting fucked up because kids don't even want to read. I learned how to read before I was even in kindergarten, and when I have kids they are for damn sure going to read, I don't want kids who are uncultured.

Man, the world is getting so Fahrenheit 451.. Half the people I know put "ew reading" under the Book part of their facebook profile.

I JUST WATCHED THAT TODAY! That's what made me think of things with a twist.. IRONIC

I know! Like I was like "who do I believe???" Lol. It was a really AWESOME movie.

Richards avatar Richard Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Richard I know! Like I was like "who do I believe???" Lol. It was a really AWESOME movie.

I feel kinda bad for spamming this person's post now. They're gonna have like.. 16 notifications in the morning and be like "wtf?!"

@ibehollyg I feel kinda bad for spamming this person's post now. They're gonna have like.. 16 notifications in the morning and...

hah yeah. But a pretty recent book that's not too long (I tend to read 'big' books=P) but really good is called The Hunger Games.

@Uhohxemily WHat genre is it?

Fiction, by Suzanne Collins. It's based off of a post world US, with a totalitarian dictatorship. And it's really good

@Uhohxemily Sounds interesting..

I don't even know if you're into this type of stuff or not but I really love Chuck Palahniuk. He wrote Fight Club. But my favorite by him is Invisible Monsters. :]

@Uhohxemily Sounds interesting..

I love Chuck Palahnuik's books too, but they tend to be very....disturbing for some people. Just be warned everyone, don't read them if you don't like horror scenarios and/or really, REALLY messed up things. :P

Lol they'll be like "Woah I should go watch Shutter Island." Then they do and then they're amazed! Lol

Richards avatar Richard Yeah You Are 0Reply

I went through phases where I loved reading to where I hated to where I tolerated it to not where I love it again even more than the first time. I think if everyone actually tried to read on their own instead of being forced to at school (school pick the worst books for you to read) than people and kids would enjoy it more.

I love books about WWII and the holocaust. I find it so interesting...

Gary Paulsen is a good author as well. Umm I think one book is called Hatchet. One of my favorites... I read it in 5th grade. Maybe you should.

I read Hatchet.. SO BORING. I like learning about the holocaust in school too. I'm more of a Seventeen magazine kinda person.. But I do like mysteries and things that make me think. Like things with a twist at the end

@Uhohxemily I read Hatchet.. SO BORING. I like learning about the holocaust in school too. I'm more of a Seventeen magazine...

Sorry, I'm butting in now too, but I really really like Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Pretty violent, but kept me interested and it only took me a day to read (I'm kind of a bookworm, but still, very quick read) since it was so engrossing. And yes, Hatchet was definitely boring as shit, and just gross for the sake of being gross, it seemed. I don't need to have a complete description of his cherry pit infested diarrhea, and I really don't care (and definitely don't need a whole chapter or so on it) how he just sat nursing his sunburn or whatever for a couple of days.
Maximum Ride by James Patterson is also really good. Sarcastic humor, action-y, and a quick read as well. Harry Potter, of course, but I'd have to assume you've already tried that.Uglies by Scott Westerfeld maybe? I wasn't a big fan, but most of my friends were. Twilight of course, but very whiny and boring to me. That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for being so open-minded about this ;)

@kodabear911 Sorry, I'm butting in now too, but I really really like Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Pretty violent, but kept...

I really liked the Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind. They are an extremely long series, but they are really mind-blowing!

@bookfreak I really liked the Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind. They are an extremely long series, but they are really...

I'll be sure to check him out then! I'm DESPERATELY in need of a good book now that school's out. Rereading Diary of Anne Frank right now, and reading Daniel X by James Patterson (crazy shit in that book, just FYI), but I'll definitely check those out. Thanks ;)

@kodabear911 I'll be sure to check him out then! I'm DESPERATELY in need of a good book now that school's out. Rereading Diary...

If you like fantasy, how about trying Cast in Shadows by Michelle Sagara. I'm reading it now and it's pretty entertaining.

anime_serenas avatar anime_serena Yeah You Are 0Reply

Oh yeah me too! Aww you guys think Hatchet is boring :( Lol. Speaking of twist at the end... Have you seen Shutter Island? Lol I know this post is about books but if you like twists...go watch it!

Oh yeah, I feel bad too. Oh well, they'll feel popular. Anyways.. shutter island.. probably one of my new favorite movies. Seriously it had the best ending. but half of the movie I was confused but the ending made up for it definitely

@Richard Well said!

I really want to see it but am waiting to get the book first. I have been meaning to read it, but cant find it anywhere

randomly butts in
Anyone here read Anthem? Amazing book. I love books like that and like The Giver.
Also suggest Catcher in the Rye to anyone who hasn't read it yet. For those who like books about teen drug problems and shit I suggest Bottled Up, forget the author.
butts out

If you like twisted endings, I suggest And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. Read that in middle school, although it probably wasn't very age-appropriate at the time. Still, very awesome. Also, The Westing Game. I don't remember who wrote it.
And as far as Harry Potter goes... you are getting SO cheated if you watch the movies without reading the books. They left so much out of it, it's practically an insult to JK Rowling (in my opinion). I understand if you don't have TIME to read, though. There's no time limit to how long you take on a book, though. In the car is always a good idea if you get bored.
Okay, I'll butt out now. LOL.

Well not realy, because I've started reading books that I've liked but I just loose intarest in it and stop reading it till months or even a year later when I finaly pick it up again and start reading it till I get board of it and the whole prosses repeats again.

Just so you guys know, shutter island is a book too so you might wanna check that out because it's great as the movie

Has anyone read Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick? Its soooo sooo good, also, the mortal instruments series.
I think that everybody should read, its so good, and it lets you escape your life for a couple of hours and takes you to another world. :)

Read Harry Potter and you will understand how amazing books can really be. Just saying.

Well I'm a good reder and I know that their is many things I have rather be doing then reading a book. That dosnt mean I'm not a good reder thou!

@Well I'm a good reder and I know that their is many things I have rather be doing then reading a book. That dosnt...

lol is that supposed to be a joke? Because if it's not, then I feel you should bang your head repeatedly against the wall until your skull collapses.

Reading is not for everyone. It's not just the books. It's the time consuming, always getting distracted, just plain boringness. Some people like it. Some don't. It shouldn't be forced.

@Uhohxemily Reading is not for everyone. It's not just the books. It's the time consuming, always getting distracted, just...

You're right it's not for everyone, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. It took me and my older sister about 5 years to get her to read Harry Potter. She loved it after she tried it

@bookfreak You're right it's not for everyone, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. It took me and my older sister about 5...

Thanks, but I'll just watch the movies and save hours of my time. I've been reading books my whole life and I can honestly say I haven't found a book I've liked.

@Uhohxemily Thanks, but I'll just watch the movies and save hours of my time. I've been reading books my whole life and I can...

may I ask your age? Depending on your age group, I just want to suggest some books. You don't have to even take my suggestions seriously or even listen to me at all.

@Uhohxemily 16

and what type of things are you more interested in. like a genre and reading level would help too, but Holly was the one who is going to suggest it, I don't mean to butt in(though I think I am sorry)

@Uhohxemily 16

okay, I'm about that age and I found Ned Vizzini books to my liking. They related to me a lot. Honestly, I don't think I'd be reading so much today if it weren't for his books.

@Uhohxemily 16

I don't know your personality at all, but some books I've really enjoyed are God is Dead, Handle With Care, the first Harry Potter is pretty short if you want smaller books, Of Mice and Men, ummm, The Golden Compass and so on. Oh, and any book by the lady who wrote The Outsiders is pretty good (I've read them all)

You're right. Literacy is overrated. I mean, who needs to be able to read when we can get all our entertainment from movies, get all our info from TV and Radio, and have our mothers read amirite posts to us?