+78

If figure skating was easy it would be called hockey, amirite?

danilols avatar Sports
5 65
The voters have decided that danilol is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm not saying figure skating is an easy sport, but neither is hockey.

Thank you so much for this! I hope people realize how hard figure skating actually is...

Nigglets avatar Nigglet Yeah You Are +6Reply

its amazing how noone is saying how hard hockey is to play... sure figure skating is hard but once you learn it you learn it, but in hockey there are are hundreds of things that you have to knoe, from following the puck, other players, shooting, passing, following the many many rules, both are hard but id have to say hockey is the harder sport

@bellows its amazing how noone is saying how hard hockey is to play... sure figure skating is hard but once you learn it you...

once you learn it? well i think that just learning the concept of a jump doesn't mean you're going to land it everytime, or even not hurt yourself when you fall from going that fast in the air

Figure skating may be hard but hockey is overall tougher. Sorry, but you don't have people trying to check you when you're figure skating. Also, it's been proven that the single hardest thing to do in any sport is hit a baseball. I forget the exact number, but you have less than half a second to hit a 95 mph fastball. Baseball, ftw.

Mikes avatar Mike No Way +6Reply
@Mike Figure skating may be hard but hockey is overall tougher. Sorry, but you don't have people trying to check you...

Yeah, and returning a serve in tennis is pretty difficult as well. The fastest serve that's ever gone in was 155 or 156 mph.

@NfskMjmMal Yeah, and returning a serve in tennis is pretty difficult as well. The fastest serve that's ever gone in was 155 or...

Tennis is difficult. But you guys have big rackets to hit with, we have these tiny bats :P

Mikes avatar Mike No Way 0Reply
@Mike Tennis is difficult. But you guys have big rackets to hit with, we have these tiny bats :P

Yeah, I've played tennis and baseball for several years each. Baseball is hard because the bat is small. Tennis is hard because you have much less space to get the ball in (especially since in baseball if you keep missing foul you're still up. In tennis if you keep missing left or right you're going to lose the match in a real hurry.) and because the server in tennis has many more angles available than a pitcher.

@NfskMjmMal Yeah, I've played tennis and baseball for several years each. Baseball is hard because the bat is small. Tennis is...

Ya, but the pitcher has a variety of pitches he can throw. 4-seam fastball, 2-seam fastball, cutter, slider, curveball, changeup, and rarely a knuckleball. And in tennis, the server has to hit the ball in that smaller box, I'm not sure what it's called, though. But the initial serve, the server only has a small window to hit.

Mikes avatar Mike No Way -1Reply
@Mike Ya, but the pitcher has a variety of pitches he can throw. 4-seam fastball, 2-seam fastball, cutter, slider...

Tennis has different "pitches" too. It's exactly the same as in baseball; the pitches/serves mainly vary by making the ball spin different ways. Tennis serves can spin an infinte number of directions, as can baseball pitches. It's called the service box by the way :) And actually, even though the service box is a lot smaller than the entire court, the strike zone in baseball is many times smaller than the service box. High level tennis players can hit insane angles on serves. YouTube video thumbnail and YouTube video thumbnail

It might not look like that crazy of an angle, but those serves are going 100 MPH and you have no idea where they're going to hit it.

@NfskMjmMal Tennis has different "pitches" too. It's exactly the same as in baseball; the pitches/serves mainly vary by making...

I still think baseball is harder =

The fact that the strike zone is small just reinforces how tough it is on the hitter. You have to have a great eye, and excellent reaction to decide whether or not to swing, where to swing, and when to swing. Their is so many factors involved in hitting the ball just right.

Watch this to the second pitch, the kid thinks he's going to get hit, but strikes out instead:

Then you get guys like this:

Mikes avatar Mike No Way -2Reply
@Mike I still think baseball is harder = The fact that the strike zone is small just reinforces how tough it is on the...

Hitting a generic pitch is definitely more difficult than hitting a generic tennis ball, but that's why you get more tries in baseball. However, after the serve in tennis, there's undeniably many, many more things the player has to do than the batter does after a pitch.

YouTube video thumbnailre, the returner of the serve has as little reaction time as the batter when faced against a 100+ MPH pitch. However, notice that a serve can be aimed very well, and the guy had to take a massive lunge just to even reach the ball. Then, he had to get his racket in a position (with the correct racket angle and the correct amount of swing to make sure he doesn't hit it too soft or too hard, both of which will result in the ball going out), all within that short time. In other words, you have to see where the ball is going to go, move to the ball, and then accurately hit it.

@NfskMjmMal Hitting a generic pitch is definitely more difficult than hitting a generic tennis ball, but that's why you get...

Yes, after the serve and return, tennis is very difficult. Once a batter hits the ball (or doesn't) he just has to run the bases, using good judgment. You do have to be very quick in tennis to make it from side to side to hit the ball.

Mikes avatar Mike No Way 0Reply

How can that be proven? Depending on a person's natural talent, some things can be harder than others.

They arent even alike? Apart from the ice bit, why compare them?

I hate posts like these. Why can't people admit that almost all sports are hard.

@danilol you are my new hero. Nobody but figure skaters realize how hard it is to figure skate. Glad there is another figure skater on amirite.

@@danilol you are my new hero. Nobody but figure skaters realize how hard it is to figure skate. Glad there is...

(Figure Skater!!): haha thanks!! i think figure skating is one of the hardest sports out there and whenever someone tells me something else is harder (other than gymnastics) i get really pissed!!

@Shortstopmwd Sorry, everyone thinks their sport is the hardest. So no, yours isn't.

i DON'T think my sport is the hardest. i just sad i think gymnastics is the hardest. i don't even do gymnastics. but i can't thing of something other than gymnastics that's harder than figure skating.

@danilol i DON'T think my sport is the hardest. i just sad i think gymnastics is the hardest. i don't even do gymnastics...

Try real wrestling or any form of fighting. Training is way worse than any figure skating. For the record I don't fight I'm just saying there are harder things.

gymnastics isn't harder than skating. Theres no spins in gymnastics and no ice to fall on.

I've done both sports. And personally, I think hockey is much harder. Shooting, skating, passing, following the rules, trying to keep your head up while stickhandling so you don't get creamed, looking for the open man, making plays? You don't have to think about any of that stuff in figure skating!

@SuperTrooper I've done both sports. And personally, I think hockey is much harder. Shooting, skating, passing, following the...

Watching behind you while doing cross-cuts to make sure you don't collide with other skaters, jumping, spinning, practising 2-7 hours a day, being flexible, holding a difficult position for a precise amount of time, quickly doing footwork across the ice while paying attention to your legs and arms, smiling under a ton of pressure and looking good. You don't have to do any of that stuff in hockey. I think our sport is just as hard as yours.

P.S."Shooting, skating, passing, following the rules," What? You think we don't have to SKATE in figure SKATING?

Sk8r_Gurls avatar Sk8r_Gurl Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Sk8r_Gurl Watching behind you while doing cross-cuts to make sure you don't collide with other skaters, jumping, spinning...

Sorry, I sound extremely rude. I get all defensive when people say skating is "way easier than hockey" I believe they are both equally hard in their own ways. And I didn't mean for the capitals to sound all angry or anything. @SuperTrooper

I'd like to know why these two sports are being compared. One is more of a graceful art form, and the other is violent and based on strategy. Not to mention that some things are harder for certain people.

I'd like to see you get back up after getting knocked into the boards by a 6'0", 200 pound guy. Hockey is much harder than figure skating.

@super_sour_diesel I'd like to see you get back up after getting knocked into the boards by a 6'0", 200 pound guy. Hockey is much...

I'd like to see you get back up after jumping, slipping and sliding across the rink on your tail bone....for the second time.

E_Mars999s avatar E_Mars999 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Getting knocked into the boards is not talent, it might be painful but it's not skill. Anyone can get hurt but not everyone can do a triple loop jump.

that requires no skill whatsoever it's like that's not even the point of hockey okay i am a hockey fan but i think violence in hockey is unnecessary and proves nothing

@Phil Wow, you are close minded.

in what way? i really have no idea why that post was voted down do people really think violence is the point of hockey?

@danilol in what way? i really have no idea why that post was voted down do people really think violence is the point of hockey?

apprently youve never played hockey before or even watched a game where contact is allowed, it pumps up your team, it helps take a guy out of the play, and it enstills fear in the other team to make them not want to go in the corners making it easier to control the puck. not to mention the fans love it, i have never seen a big hit or a hockey fight here the fans aernt loving every minute of it. violence may not be the 1st priority of hockey but it definatly has its benefits. taking violence ou of hockey would be like taking dunking out of basketball.

@bellows apprently youve never played hockey before or even watched a game where contact is allowed, it pumps up your team...

i have watched hockey and i prefer it without the violence cuz violence shows no skill it's pointless real hockey is about the game and how you strategically play it not slamming someone's brains out

Body positioning is key in the game of hockey. Its either be hit, hit, or lose a battle. If you lose a battle in the boards, you could cost your team a goal. Its about split second reactions and quick movement. If you think hockey takes no skills, riddle me this.

Why can the best hockey players in the world only be on the ice for 1-2 minutes MAX? Other sports have people playing entire games (Basketball, Soccer).

It's because that 1 minute is straightout dedictation and skill on the ice and you must dictate play while controlling the puck, while maintining body postioning, while keeping your head up, while spotting your teamates, while spoting the other team, while knowing where your going on preset plays, and THEN you shoot and you have to be really good at that. Honestly, hockey is one of the hardest sports out there. I'm not saying the hardest, I've never tried wrestling and that such, but hockey has so many elements in the 5v5 game that it is really difficult.

Phils avatar Phil No Way -1Reply

hockey is like figure skating while battling to the death...over a small black object

@Shortstopmwd hockey is like figure skating while battling to the death...over a small black object

In hockey you don't have to jump, rotate and land it on one foot. You don't have to spin with one foot in the air or avoid colliding with careless skaters. You don't have to look good while doing it. You don't have to be flexible at all. Hockey is NOTHING like figure skating.

I prefer hockey more than figure skating, but personally, I think figure skating would be harder.

ThisChicks avatar ThisChick Yeah You Are +3Reply

Its a joke. Everyone needs to just chill. Besides, figure-skaters and hokey players have a love-hate relationship. On one hand they hate the other for taking up so much ice time for something seamly not as important, but on the other hand they are hot :) (or at least some of them are)

MIDNIGHTANGELs avatar MIDNIGHTANGEL Yeah You Are +3Reply

(danilol) I agree. Figure skating and gymnastics are probably the two hardest sports in the world. I have so much respect for all figure skaters and gymnasts, because I know how hard it is, even though it's a blast.

I'd like to see you throw yourself into the air, spin around two to three times, and come down on a tiny part of your balde that's 1/8th of an inch wide. not to mention doing spins where you pull the sharp balde to your head and hope you don't stab yourself. In hockey you have pads. Not figure skating. And hockey players don't even have to smile when they screw up. So, yeah, I'd say figure skating is harder.

ATOMICTACOSs avatar ATOMICTACOS Yeah You Are +1Reply
@ATOMICTACOS I'd like to see you throw yourself into the air, spin around two to three times, and come down on a tiny part of...

I'd like to see you deke through defenders while maintaining control of a small rubber puck with a stick and manage to get that puck in to a net guarded by a person who almost takes up the whole thing.

I have scars all over my legs from stabbing myself with my skate blade while spinning.

This reminds me of that episode of Rocket Power.

Haha funny...

I like how all the red comments and + and the blue comments are -, but the post is still +

There are 2 things I don't like about figure skating:
1. There is no competition that you face, you are compared to other people but they can not mess you up.
2. It is an opinionated sport. If the judges like spins and you do a spin you might win. But in hockey, you win or lose depending on the score on the scoreboard.

Phils avatar Phil No Way 0Reply
@Phil There are 2 things I don't like about figure skating: 1. There is no competition that you face, you are compared to...

not true it's not about if the judges like it anymore, they got rid of that system years ago. they video analyze in super slow mo everything you do it's either right or wrong if your quad is a millimeter off then you don't get points for it

Oh another "my sport is harder than x sport" post. How original.

People who voted NW = People who like hockey

qwerty123s avatar qwerty123 Yeah You Are -2Reply

Geez, everyone gets so defensive. OP never said hockey was easy. Both sports have difficult rules to follow and are hard. I've played neither but I personaly think fihure skating seems more difficult. I can barely ice skate, let alone balance and jump and stuff.. But hey, hockey doesn't seem like a wall in the park either.

So, uh, chill.

Here is the real truth hockey is harder because once you master a trick or what ever in figure skating you know it and hey look u can do another trick but with hockey you can practice and practice but you never know what move an oponit or team will do so you always have to know the right move and to be on top of your game.

@Here is the real truth hockey is harder because once you master a trick or what ever in figure skating you know it...

are you kidding me you think it's a guarantee that you'll land a triple axel every time just because you've done it once? most skaters can't land every single jump in their program ever it just doesn't work that way

GO REDWINGSSSSSSSS