+483

Just because in a Christian marriage the woman submits to the man does not mean that she is any lesser of a person. amirite?

ChosenToLeads avatar
4 35
The voters have decided that ChosenToLead is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I hate to break it to you but men and women aren't equals in the Christian religion. Anybody who tells you differently is trying to sell you something.

@I hate to break it to you but men and women aren't equals in the Christian religion. Anybody who tells you...

This is gonna sound soooo sexist,but I'm guessing it's because Jesus was a man.But I admit, I still don't see how that means we can't be priests. But whatever.I don't think I'd really want to be a priest.

@This is gonna sound soooo sexist,but I'm guessing it's because Jesus was a man.But I admit, I still don't see how...

Jesus was God manifested in the form of a man, but God and Jesus know no gender. Jesus' existence goes much farther than his 33 years on Earth.

Actually that seems kind of like the definition of being less than a person.

I dunno if someone already said this, i just skipped to here. In the Bible right after it says for wives to submit to your husbands it tells the husbands to love your wives as Christ loved the church giving up everything for it. So sounds pretty equaled out to me..

Dannys avatar Danny Yeah You Are +11Reply
@Danny I dunno if someone already said this, i just skipped to here. In the Bible right after it says for wives to submit...

exactly!
the two phrases have the same meaning. submission meaning serving the man you love; loving as Christ loved meaning serving the woman you love

they are differently worded for one reason: it is stylistically pleasing to read rather than being repetative.

also: many peopletake it out of its historical, social, and cultural context

Well that is kind of what submitting implies...
And it even says so there. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/submit

:)

@Well that is kind of what submitting implies... And it even says so there. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/submit :)

(A Person :)): Yeah, I hate that the word changed to mean such a thing. You know it wasn't always like that... but now it's almost a dirty word.

ChosenToLeads avatar ChosenToLead Yeah You Are -1Reply

They really seem to mean the same thing. Especially in practice, both in the Bible and in society today.
For instance, why can't women in the Catholic church become priests? They certainly aren't being treated as equals.

@They really seem to mean the same thing. Especially in practice, both in the Bible and in society today. For...

Women can't become priests because that is a position of authority. Women are not supposed to have authority over men. They may become teachers and mothers, having authority over boys, but not men.

If you don't like that your religion condemns you to be the inferior one in a marrige, change your religion. Or drop religion altogether.

@BreakfastFan If you don't like that your religion condemns you to be the inferior one in a marrige, change your religion. Or...

but in many places you can't have a wedding (technically you can get married, but the papers still imply religion) without a religious influence.

@but in many places you can't have a wedding (technically you can get married, but the papers still imply religion)...

Idk where you're from, but in America, getting married is a civil thing. You don't need to be religious, you could just walk into town hall and request a marrige license.

It does sound kind of dirty xD But more for old people . Like "Darling, It's our 30th annivarsarry , would you like to wildly submit to my tonight ? "

Marriage should be an equal partnership, men are no less or more intelligent than women. By her being able to be overidden by her husband she is being treated as a lesser person.

@ChosenToLead Marriage is matter of roles.

But neither should be more dominant than the other. Any decision that effects them both or their family should be made together without one person being able to disregard the other. There are certain roles that everyone plays in a relationship, but neither should submit.

@SpearmintMilk But neither should be more dominant than the other. Any decision that effects them both or their family should be...

there are decision that are mad together and as they should be but some roles are there for a reason

@ChosenToLead there are decision that are mad together and as they should be but some roles are there for a reason

I don't think the roles should be determined by gender... Like when me and my partner have kids I will look after them while they are young only because his job makes more money than mine, but If I get a diffrent job by the time we have kids that makes more than him, then he will look after the kids. At the moment we both work and do equal housework our roles are very similar.

whaaaat? thats actually true?!

Just a thought here but part of the reason many Christians act in such a sexist manner may be because the Bible is written in a very sexist tone. The Bible was written by men and the treatment of women in the Bible is as though they are second-class citizens.
This isn't really surprising if you look at the world when the Bible was written. It wasn't until centuries later that women really started to gain their equality. But the religion is still based off the Bible.
So the main problem here is that times have changed and the Bible hasn't.

I'm confused

Kt_10s avatar Kt_10 Yeah You Are 0Reply

Catholics might not be able to be priests but its not necessairly like that for all parts of the christian faith. I go to a united church and one of our ministers is a woman.

Sorry, but what does submitting to the other person mean? I'm confused...I feel really stupid.

@ilessthan3you Sorry, but what does submitting to the other person mean? I'm confused...I feel really stupid.

In a Christian context, for a woman to submit to a man means for her to subject herself to his authority as the head of the house. They remain equal, yet they are different in roles and responsibilities.

No, it just means she knows her place.