+971

You're only a real fan if you loved the books BEFORE the movie came out, amirite?

10 18

That's kind of like saying "I liked it first, so I like it more."

I used to like Twilight but then everyone started liking it so now I kind of hate it. The books were amazing, the movies are terrible. Robert Pattinson is completely wrong for the part in my opinion.

A real fan? What does that even mean? A fan should simply be someone who loves the book, which is quite possible to do after hearing about, or having watched the movie, before reading the book.

@A real fan? What does that even mean? A fan should simply be someone who loves the book, which is quite possible to...

Almost akin to "this is real coffee" - really? well, i mean, wasn't the stuff we had before also quite real? I mean, it had coffee beans, water, what else does it need?

There are lots of people who wouldn't have the chance to read the book before the movie comes out because they might have been to young at the time :/

The books are almost always better anyway. Usually way better.

@JDM242 The books are almost always better anyway. Usually way better.

This is from 2 years ago, but I can't help myself. I can't stand this viewpoint...I'm sorry if I sound like I'm over-reacting, but if I love the book, and the film was awesome, why should one medium be ACTUALLY better than the other? Surely it's all a matter of preference. Plus, the two mediums always approach it differently...and things work differently in each. So when people try to objectively state that the book is always better it just pisses me off

Some people don't hear about the books until the movie.

If you're refering to Twilight, I swear to God.

So, OP, does that mean that I could not ever be considered a "real fan" (whatever the hell that means) of a book like To Kill A Mockingbird because I was born after 1962, even if I enjoyed the book before I knew there was a movie?

i have one book that is the prime example of this. percy jackson and the olympians, book 1: the lightning theif

The Percy Jackson movie was really inaccurate!

Sometimes you don't know it was a book until the movie comes out? Like shutter island.. Movies are a great way for authors to gain exposure.

Thats true. I didn't know Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Bang or Nanny McPhee were books until I saw the movies

i read pretty little liars before i even knew the series was gonna come out. i read the first one in maybe sixth grade? point is, i feel like the shit now cuz i know whats gonna happen.

I agree to some extent. A real fan is someone who loves the book. Doesn't matter if they heard about it through the movie, that doesn't make them stop loving it.

Who really cares if you're a "real fan"...nobody