+1,054

How do they explain the Holocaust to kids in Germany? "Well you see kids, a long time ago, our country's leader killed 12 million people", amirite?

Nicks avatar Education
21 43
The voters have decided that Nick is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I've always wondered this. They probably tell it the same way Americans teach about slavery: it was a bad time in our country's history, but thankfully we have moved on.

Or something like that.

@That's not how slavery is taught...

That's how it's been taught in the at least half dozen schools I've been to, maybe your school taught it differently. "Kids, it was one if the greatest eras of our country's history!" I doubt it, but hey, I don't know where you went to school.

"Trying to protect his students' innocence
he told them the Ice Age was really just
the Chilly Age, a period of a million years
when everyone had to wear sweaters.

And the Stone Age became the Gravel Age,
named after the long driveways of the time.

The Spanish Inquisition was nothing more
than an outbreak of questions such as
"How far is it from here to Madrid?"
"What do you call the matador's hat?"

The War of the Roses took place in a garden,
and the Enola Gay dropped one tiny atom on Japan.

The children would leave his classroom
for the playground to torment the weak
and the smart,
mussing up their hair and breaking their glasses,

while he gathered up his notes and walked home
past flower beds and white picket fences,
wondering if they would believe that soldiers
in the Boer War told long, rambling stories
designed to make the enemy nod off."
-Billy Collins

I thought this fit the situation :)

@Moonshoes "Trying to protect his students' innocence he told them the Ice Age was really just the Chilly Age, a period of a...

Nope, it doesn't. Considering Germans get taught much more about the holocaust than Americans do about their own history.

@Nope, it doesn't. Considering Germans get taught much more about the holocaust than Americans do about their own...

How do you know what we're taught? Or at least what people try to teach us, and those of us that learn it try to pass on ourselves?

In Germany, they do teach you about the holocaust and about hitler's beliefs not because those are examples for us to follow but rather mistakes we have to learn. Don't bash us Germans who weren't even born then for the mistakes that Hitler made.

The OP is ignorant. If you have ever conversed with a German, or looked it up, German's get taught much more about the holocaust than we do. It's mandatory for them to go to a concentration camp. I'm sorry, but if you are so close-minded that you can't even look up your own post, you are pretty pathetic.

If their schools teach anything like mine did, they probably don't talk about it much. At 17, I don't know very much about how Columbus took over America other than he did what he wanted...

@SerendipitalAmity If their schools teach anything like mine did, they probably don't talk about it much. At 17, I don't know very...

That's just sad. I had to learn shit tons about Columbus, and that was in 7th Grade too...

@That's just sad. I had to learn shit tons about Columbus, and that was in 7th Grade too...

There's a possibility that I learned about it before. Just didn't retain it.

That's easy. Everyone was on vacation. Germany didn't attack Poland, they were invited, punch was served, check with Poland. And everyone who left to go to America came to manage a dairy queen.

@255943

More native Americans died then people in the Holocaust. It certainly was genocide, there's no reason to put it in quotes Sure it wasn't as systematic, but it was based on race.

@255943

"not quite as bad"? I wasn't aware that some genocide is better than others. Taking lives is the same level of atocity whether it be 10 or 10 million.

@LyssaBlau "not quite as bad"? I wasn't aware that some genocide is better than others. Taking lives is the same level of...

That's just silly, are you really comparing 10 deaths to 10,000,000 deaths? It's a million times worse, really it is, that's the math, not my opinion.

@255934

Um uh, that wasn't america. It was still Europe at the time. (1492, about 50 million deaths)

Or how we teach about the genocide of the native Americans. The thing is that the Holocaust was more recent then either of these and it was much bigger

actually, my relatives live over there and you're not supposed to talk about what happened. Their video games cannot involve the war and they in fact do try to just forget it happened..maybe it depends what part of Germany a person is from.

Wasn't Austria on the axis power?

@Zachattackery Wasn't Austria on the axis power?

Sort of, they were one of the first places Hitler conquered.

They actually don't talk about it, they can't leave it out of their history but my friend lives there and says everyone is really sensitive about that

And it's true we don't talk about it in public. It's a very sensitive issue.

Students don't learn about the Holocaust in Germany. Germans try to forget everything that happened and completely disregard it in textbooks.

@Students don't learn about the Holocaust in Germany. Germans try to forget everything that happened and completely...

That's terrible. The best way to make sure history never repeats itself is to teach the atrocities which happened.

That is so not true, of course German kids get taught about WW2, it is not only world history, it is their county's history. Awful, but still history.

I have a friend who is a German exchange student. This is BS as far as she's concerned.

@SalientK I have a friend who is a German exchange student. This is BS as far as she's concerned.

WOW holy crap. i wonder how the teachers feel, basically lying to them... I wonder if any student ever asks... that makes me so angry. I have relatives that went through the camps and for people to think that the cruel injustices that happened to them never even occurred is.... unfathomable.

@SalientK What? I just said it's BS, they don't do that. Did you reply to the wrong comment?

nope, just thought by this is BS that she meant that they think the whole thing is BS.
BTW i know tons of people my age and older who think it never happened.

thats not true they are requiered to go visit a concentration camp to see what happened and showed them what hitler had done.

If only Hitler couldve killed all ze jews

@If only Hitler couldve killed all ze jews

Stupid obvious troll is obvious and stupid. :]

NotACommunists avatar NotACommunist Yeah You Are 0Reply

Actually, it was 6 million people and 6 million jews...

When we were learning about this in school, my teacher said that most Germans are taught that what Hitler did was the right thing to do. According to her Germans believe that Hitler was right to do what he did. Germans, apparently, are taught completely different things than Americans.