+226

Why do "war crimes" even exist? Shouldn't war itself be considered a crime? amirite?

agent_eclaires avatar
5 35
The voters have decided that agent_eclaire is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1203999

@120"over 9000"999 (polarthebear): The way I meant this post (and I guess I should have been more clear about it) is that war is basically people killing people, and yet murder is normally illegal. So then why isn't war illegal?
I meant it to be hypothetical, but a lot of people are taking it literally.

@1204764

I suppose that's true.

@1203999

Crime = illegal we make war a crime it becomes illegal.

death_or_glorys avatar death_or_glory Yeah You Are -3Reply
@death_or_glory Crime = illegal we make war a crime it becomes illegal.

It would be pretty much impossible to make war illegal. War is directed by the government, and laws are enforced by the government. There would be no real system of checks and balances to stop them.

Because even though we have war, there are certain rules of engagement that all countries are SUPPOSED to follow under the Geneva Convention. Its an effort to make war more humane (ironically)

@cotton1goalie Because even though we have war, there are certain rules of engagement that all countries are SUPPOSED to follow...

Exactly. I.e., killing civilians, rape, etc. I also think there may be something with bio-warfare, but I'm not sure

as long as man kind can not agree there will be war and when we sacrifice our choice to agree we sacrifice our freedom. Some wars are pointless and therefore crimes, but some war is justified and necessary.

Saigots avatar Saigot No Way +2Reply

Well... if it wasn't for war the U.S would still be in control of England... that might not be SO bad because we would have British accents :D!

@Ag3ntBananaz Well... if it wasn't for war the U.S would still be in control of England... that might not be SO bad because we...

For the future though, if war were considered a crime the world would be pretty well off, I think.

Aha, forget the repression and violation of rights, it's all worth it for an accent! :D

War is the worst crime to commit, as a matter of fact, it's so horrid, that it's not even illegal.

LGM007s avatar LGM007 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@LGM007 War is the worst crime to commit, as a matter of fact, it's so horrid, that it's not even illegal.

So..

Sending honorable men to fight for your freedom = Raping women, children. Torturing civilians.

No...

But what i dont get is why would you join the army? People always say i could never murder someone, but then they join the army. That makes killing people better just because the government say so? So, it's okay to murder someone if the government says so?

renzolufs avatar renzoluf Yeah You Are 0Reply

What's weird to me is that only the losing side ever gets punished for what they did. How many Americans have to stand trial for war crimes? I'm pretty sure dropping the nukes on Japan was against the rules...

@What's weird to me is that only the losing side ever gets punished for what they did. How many Americans have to...

It technically wasnt since we were the first to employ nuclear technology and therefore rules about it had not been made yet

Even though war may be a brutal and barbaric way to solve problems, it is still a necessary evil. And, despite the nature of war there is still a code of ethics (chivalry) dating back thousands of years. The leaders of the armed forces in africa that recruit and brainwash children. Those are war crimes. The nazis? War crimes/crimes against humanity. But, soldiers fighting soldiers? That is a fair fight therefore not considered a war crime because it is, in fact, the nature of warfare.

@IVAN_CUATROVEINTE WE NEED WAR

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered a crime. It could be debated that we need murder or rape or stealing or whatever.

@agent_eclaire Doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered a crime. It could be debated that we need murder or rape or stealing or...

no that couldn't be debated because rape is wrong even in war

but without war our country would be something different,awful even

@agent_eclaire ...Could you explain how it would be awful without war?

we'd be vulnerable to any attack and you know it

look im not trying to argue and im sure you aren't either :).But what would happen if we hadn't reacted to the pearl harbor bombings?.More bombs?

those japs got what they deserved for messing with the good 'ol us of a (i sound ignorant don't i?)

@IVAN_CUATROVEINTE we'd be vulnerable to any attack and you know it look im not trying to argue and im sure you aren't either...

If no one had war, then we wouldn't need it either.
If we hadn't reacted, that wouldn't have been good, but I meant for this post to apply to the future, as in we would outlaw war (and the UN would be able to punish authority figures who started one or something like that).
The Japanese didn't deserve that, since more civilians were harmed than anyone else, and people are still dying today because of that bomb, but I suppose WWII wouldn't have ended otherwise, and what's done is done anyway...

@agent_eclaire If no one had war, then we wouldn't need it either. If we hadn't reacted, that wouldn't have been good, but I meant...

as in we would outlaw war (and the UN would be able to punish authority figures who started one or something like that)

i agree 100%...but that will NEVER happen

as long as theres mankind,theres also gonna be war

@agent_eclaire That's probably true, but I like to hope that someday we'll grow out of it...

by the time it even starts to wear out we'll be dead and im for sure gonna turn in my grave

how old are you anyways?
you sound smart,yet young

@IVAN_CUATROVEINTE by the time it even starts to wear out we'll be dead and im for sure gonna turn in my grave how old are you...

We'll see. Hopefully we'll live to see a peaceful, evolved world _^

I'm 13, but I'm not sure if I could be called smart.

@IVAN_CUATROVEINTE well i said SOUNDED,but i guess you're not smart enough to read what i wrote completely lol :p

Oh wow, lol that was a lapse of reading comprehension. That's why I shouldn't exactly be called smart _^

The reality is that people DO create war, and if we didn't respond there would be no freedom. The rights that we in the western world have exist because we fought for them. If war ceased completely because everyone stopped? Well that would be lovely, yes, but not going to happen.

Outlaw war? The tried that. League of Nations, but they didn't have power. They tried telling countries to not trade with Germany or Italy, but enough did that they could get by. How else would you bunish people who went to war, by going to war with them?