+495

Whoever named the American continents were really lazy. Seriously, North America and South America? One should be called America, and the other should have its own name, amirite?

BreakfastFans avatar
2 43
The voters have decided that BreakfastFan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I nominate 'William.'

The reason it's called North and South America was because they thought it was just one big continent, so they decided to name the continent after the person to discover it, Amerigo Vespucci. And I guess when they realized that it was to separate continents, it was to much for their puny minds to handle so they decided the easiest thing to do was just name it North and South.

BIGM3000s avatar BIGM3000 Yeah You Are +12Reply
@BIGM3000 The reason it's called North and South America was because they thought it was just one big continent, so they...

What do you mean realized it was 2 separate continents?? It's connected, it could have been 1 or 3 or whatever they wanted.

@What do you mean realized it was 2 separate continents?? It's connected, it could have been 1 or 3 or whatever they...

They are connected by the smallest amount of land possible, don't think about it to much.

BIGM3000s avatar BIGM3000 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I agree; we should sexify one of them more. Suggestions?

I don't know why, but I always forget about the existence of South America.

ImTheRealShadys avatar ImTheRealShady Yeah You Are +7Reply

I never understood how its two different continents, I mean they're connected, same thing with Asia, Europe, and Africa

@adam I never understood how its two different continents, I mean they're connected, same thing with Asia, Europe, and Africa

@1014259 (adam): Europe is it's own seperate continent because Europeans were the ones doing the mapmaking. Technically, it should be Eurasia. But Africa is barely connected to Eurasia and North and South America are barely connected by a narrow isthmus, so it's reasonable to separate them imo

@BreakfastFan @1014259 (adam): Europe is it's own seperate continent because Europeans were the ones doing the mapmaking...

Europe is technically seperated from Asia by the Urals, the Sea of Marmara, and the Mediterranean Sea.

At least we know where they are
it always helps if its location of the city is in the name, like
"That crappy town near Toronto"
I like visiting there... bit of a long name

In Europe it's actually taught as just America. They don't separate them

@Double_hawk In Europe it's actually taught as just America. They don't separate them

But they're clearly seperate, and that also causes too much confusion with the country America.

@Double_hawk There's a country called America?

sometimes the united states is just called america. That's what I usually call it.

The United States of AMERICA, aka the only country reffered to as America and the only nation on Earth with "America" in it's name.

@BreakfastFan The United States of AMERICA, aka the only country reffered to as America and the only nation on Earth with...

Yeah I know it's part of our countries name, I'm not an idiot. But you said "the country America". Last I checked it had more to it. I've always called it the United States. It's not my fault if no one else gets it right. You calling the continent we live on a country just made me laugh. It's like referring to South Africa as Africa.

@Double_hawk Yeah I know it's part of our countries name, I'm not an idiot. But you said "the country America". Last I checked...

The continent we live in is called North America, and the country is called America. Why is this so hard for people?

@BreakfastFan The continent we live in is called North America, and the country is called America. Why is this so hard for people?

All I'm pointing out is that not everyone learns it as North and South America. They just learn that the big mass of land on the other side of the world is the American Continent. It all depends on how you learn it. Stop being so close minded haha. (see what I did there?)

@Double_hawk All I'm pointing out is that not everyone learns it as North and South America. They just learn that the big mass...

And all I'm saying is learning it that way would be confusing unless they call Americans "United Statesians" or something to distinguish us from the other people in North and South America.

@BreakfastFan And all I'm saying is learning it that way would be confusing unless they call Americans "United Statesians" or...

You're right about that. I don't know why it was established as our name. I need to correct myself on something as well, they learn it as The Americas. So it changes my whole point of view. Too bad you had nothing to do with it :)

@Double_hawk You're right about that. I don't know why it was established as our name. I need to correct myself on something as...

You're actually right. The "Americans" when trying to come up with an idea to call their newly found nation, had the intention of "liberating" the rest of the Americas. One such occasion resulted in Canada having to burn down their white house in a attempt to end their arrogance. The backed up but kept the name United States of America. We chose Canada 'cause it's sounded close to what native folks called home

Lazy Americans.

@roflmao Lazy Americans.

europeans are the ones who found and named it so its not americans that are lazy when it comes to naming continents.

It's actually just America to everyone else, but the conceited Americans couldn't share a name so they got their own North America so people could refer to them only, without the Portugese or Spanish.
It's about as pointless as Fahrenheit.

@Nacklefoodle It's actually just America to everyone else, but the conceited Americans couldn't share a name so they got their...

So I'm assuming that you say "The People's Republic of China" instead of just China? And sharing a name would be stupid and create confusion.

@BreakfastFan So I'm assuming that you say "The People's Republic of China" instead of just China? And sharing a name would be...

That's completely different. There is China and there is Taiwan, they're not North China and South China or anything of the sort. Besides, they're states and not different continents, USA has states doesn't it? As far as i know, the states have much longer official names themselves. You don't say Commonwealth of Kentucky do you? What about State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations?

Countries have their own name, therefore eliminating that confusion. Canada and USA(along with little Spanish countries) are already known everywhere, why group them as North America? Most of South American countries are even similar to the Spanish-speaking of North America! They are ALL in America, and if the Europeans and Asians have been using "America" for all this time now and haven't been confused, why can't Americans just use it? Same with 24hr time and metric system. It's just pointless.

Phew, I'm tired of this argument already.
I rest my case but you can rebuttal.

@Nacklefoodle That's completely different. There is China and there is Taiwan, they're not North China and South China or...

For one thing, several countries use am/pm, not just America. I agree with you about farenheit and the customary system, even though it's not relevant. You'd think that the place itself would be able to choose it's own name, but apparently not... And I don't see how that wouldn't be confusing unless you call us "United Statesians" or something.

@BreakfastFan For one thing, several countries use am/pm, not just America. I agree with you about farenheit and the customary...

Ah, now THAT is absolutely their own fault, what kind of a name is The United States of [continent]? I mean sheesh, can't you be at least a tad more original? If it had been an original name like all other countries in the entire fucking world, they wouldn't have the United Statesians problem and wouldn't need to be called America either.

No offense or anything, American. I know you weren't there when the Declaration was signed along with the name.

@Nacklefoodle Ah, now THAT is absolutely their own fault, what kind of a name is The United States of [continent]? I mean...

United Kingdom? United Arab Emirates? Holland & Belgium/ The Netherlands? Trinidad and Tobago? North/South Korea and now North/South Sudan? South Africa which is in southern Africa? There are many retarded country names out there.Just out of curiosity, what country do you live in?

@BreakfastFan United Kingdom? United Arab Emirates? Holland & Belgium/ The Netherlands? Trinidad and Tobago? North/South Korea...

I'm not saying no country should say South or North or United in its name, but that if it's a specific country on a continent with other countries, don't just call your country by the continent's name with a few other words! North and South Korea split from one Korea, just like the two Chinas. South Africa, however, is alike USA, but at least you can say South African. US of America is completely wrong for a name.

I'm actually in USA, believe it or not; I got forcefully moved here. That might explain all my anger to the country.

@Nacklefoodle I'm not saying no country should say South or North or United in its name, but that if it's a specific country on a...

I do see your point. But the North/South America solution is the best way around it as far as I can see, unless United Statesians or Yankees catches on both in the US and worldwide.

How is Trinidad and Tobago a stupid name? "The United States of America" is an extremely boring name. I bet you would find "The United States of Asia/Africa" annoying.

And Belgium is not a part of the Netherlands. And Holland is only one area of the Netherlands. The Netherlands composes of many lands such as Holland, Zeeland, etc.

In my opinion, the United States should be called Appalachia (not a very good example) or something more creative.

One thing I do find annoying is how we make up different names for other countries. Why can't we call Italy "Italia", Germany "Deutschland", S. Korea "Hanguk", or Japan "Nippon"?

South America should be America, and North America should be South Mexico. That should piss enough people off.