+299

Weed should be legalized, but should have restrictions on it, just like alcohol does. It has been scientifically proven to be less harmful than alcohol, so why is it illegal, but booze isn't, amirite?

downgrade923s avatar
5 93
The voters have decided that downgrade923 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, but think of how weed could benefit us.
1. More taxes going to the government. We could tax the shit out of weed!
2. More jobs. We would need people to grow weed.
3. The police could focus less on illegally dealt pot.
4. Not everyone would smoke it. In fact, fewer people would smoke it because it's not as illegal. There's less of a rush.
5. People could benefit from it medically. ADD/ADHD kids would be able to focus and cancer patients would suffer less.
Just some reasons I came up with on the spot.

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +28Reply
@Katffro I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, but think of how weed could benefit us. 1. More taxes going to the government...

I am SO not trying to start a fight hereseriouslybut I disagree. Do you REALLY think fewer people will smoke weed just cuz it's legal? It'd kind of be like a free-for-all: "Oh hey! Weed's finally legal? Dude, let's go get twisted!" (that was my take on junkie-speak. xD) And, from what I've been told by educators, medicinal weed and illegal 'pot' are pretty different. What do you think?

@thatsnotmyname I am SO not trying to start a fight hereseriouslybut I disagree. Do you REALLY think fewer people will smoke...

Documentation from Amsterdam showed an overall decline in Cannabis use after legalization, as well as a decrease in crime..

I understand the whole fight thing-- I'm the same way!
A lot of people I know that do weed do it just because it's illegal, just like drinking. If there are restrictions, sure, they might do it just because they're underaged and do it more just after it's legal for them, but they'll eventually get bored of it.
My teacher smoked [tobacco] when she was 13 because it was cool, continued when she was 18, and then slowed down a lot. Sure, she probably has a cig every now and again, but it's not really obsessive.
Weed isn't as addictive as nicotine or alcohol, so people won't crave it as much.
As for medicine vs. recreation, I guess there are some differences. However, it's not even legal everywhere as a medicine and is still viewed as awful, so they can't be extremely different. People still think it's bad enough to keep from public.
I'm kind of absentminded right now, so let me know if I forgot something :P

Katffros avatar Katffro Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Katffro I understand the whole fight thing-- I'm the same way! A lot of people I know that do weed do it just because it's...

Well thanks for at least replying in a civil way and now blowing up at me. I can kind of see your point now.

Statistics show that in Norway, where weed is legal also, there is a lower percentage of people who smoke it there than in America. Which is practically the same as the statement made above. Just goes to show...

Anyone who uses the "gateway drug" argument is retarded. By that logic, water is a gateway drug to alcoholism.

@Anyone who uses the "gateway drug" argument is retarded. By that logic, water is a gateway drug to alcoholism.

(An educated person): I agree, I know many people who smoke weed and only weed. Its your own personal responsibility if you choose to do more dangerous drugs or not, but saying that anyone who smokes weed will want to do other drugs is not true.

kahleekats avatar kahleekat Yeah You Are +4Reply
@NoSoapRadio (An educated person): By what logic is water considered a drug at all?

People think that simply because weed is a drug they will wind up on the worst drugs such as heroin. It is similar to people thinking that because water is a drink they will wind up on the worst drinks such as alcohol.

smoking weed in moderation has shown to be less harmful than drinking in excess. smoking weed is like smoking anything else is screws up your lungs. The reason it is illegal is that it always puts you in an altered state of mind, one always smokes weed to get high but one does not always drink to get drunk.

Saigots avatar Saigot No Way +7Reply
@Saigot smoking weed in moderation has shown to be less harmful than drinking in excess. smoking weed is like smoking...

no, the reason it is illegal is because the government makes shit tons of money off of it. There are several legal drugs that can do a lot more damage to your body than weed. Vicodin is addictive and it will screw up your liver faster than drinking.

@no, the reason it is illegal is because the government makes shit tons of money off of it. There are several legal...

(ids, i just care.): Vicodin is not [designed to be] a recreational drug, i have no problem with weed legalized for medical use, just not to the same point as alcohol has been legalized. No drug should be used for recreational purposes.

Saigots avatar Saigot No Way +1Reply
@Saigot (ids, i just care.): Vicodin is not [designed to be] a recreational drug, i have no problem with weed legalized...

Right, but it is being used either way. so why not legalize it so it can be safer?

@Right, but it is being used either way. so why not legalize it so it can be safer?

"people use it anyway, so why not legalize it to make it safer?"

That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard for weed being legalized. People still take meth and cocaine (I'm hoping we can agree that these should be illegal) so why not make them legal?

See the dumb logic?

@NoSoapRadio I was talking about the argument you made.

right and I'm saying that you are taking my argument out of context.

thats the only positive i see. Weed is a gateway drug though people take it and when they get tired of it they move on to stronger substances.

Saigots avatar Saigot No Way -6Reply
@Saigot thats the only positive i see. Weed is a gateway drug though people take it and when they get tired of it they move...

that doesn't make it a gateway drug. The only reason it is considered a gateway drug is because it opens people up to a variety of drug dealers and harder drugs become easier to come by. its not that actual marijuana that causes it to be a gateway drug, its the fact that it's a black market commodity.

I swear this is still the dumbest argument ive ever heard. if your seriously at the point of arguing about wat substance is LESS life ruining then you need professional help.

Remember, booze was illegal for little while. Then it was just basically sold to everyone underground so the govt legalized it.

Well if you smoke one joint, you'll probably get high but if you drink one beer you're not necessarily drunk. Maybe if they made less potent weed it would get legalized...

@Kaylee Well if you smoke one joint, you'll probably get high but if you drink one beer you're not necessarily drunk. Maybe...

Actually some people just smoke for the sake of smoking... after a while your tolerance to weed builds up and if you just keep smoking it, you will just be in a daze? I'm not sure if that's the correct term, but it's just like a buzz and not really a high to it.

@1106510 (Kaylee): Depends on your tolerance level, I used to get high off joints. Doesn't really do the trick if you start smoking everyday though.

The main reason that it is illegal is because the government hasn't found a field test for it. With alcohol, police can just have you blow on a breathalizer but if the police have the suspision that someone is driving under the influence of weed they have no way of really proving if the person is high or not. Without a field test having weed legalized would be a lot more dangerous.

@SamanthaaJ good point, haven't thought of that.

Yeah, me and my family had a huge discussion about this the other night and my brother told us about the whole field test thing

@megahollsballs The main reason that it is illegal is because the government hasn't found a field test for it. With alcohol, police...

Actually it's a little more complicated than that... cannabis has a lot of other uses other than just getting high. I forget all it's uses, but if they legalized it it would fuck with other industries. I think the first automobiles used hemp fuel. It also makes for longer lasting paper and also stronger plastic? It's actually a lot better than the stuff we have now.

@KickAss Actually it's a little more complicated than that... cannabis has a lot of other uses other than just getting high...

Yeah I heard that too. I heard that it would put the paper inudstry out of buisiness and because the governemnt made heaps of money from paper companies they didn't want that to happen.

Having a country living on an altered state of mind is not a good idea. Get off your high and you'd understand.

@asdijojioiojioxj Having a country living on an altered state of mind is not a good idea. Get off your high and you'd understand.

I've never smoked or drank, I am speaking as an unbiased third party. And alcohol can just as much alter your state of mind as drugs can.@278089 (Flyer):

@downgrade923 I've never smoked or drank, I am speaking as an unbiased third party. And alcohol can just as much alter your state...

okay, far more rational of an answer than I expected. Regardless I dislike marijuana because let's be honest, it is a gateway drug, and people use it far to irresponsiblely (as with alcohol), so why put another substance easily abused on the market?

@asdijojioiojioxj okay, far more rational of an answer than I expected. Regardless I dislike marijuana because let's be honest, it is...

the only reason marijuana is a gateway drug is because it opens people up to drug dealers and they learn about how to get stuff. It's not like you take a hit of marijuana and go "omfg i want to do meth." Secondly, alcohol is far more dangerous and far more abused that weed. With proper restrictions and regulations I don't see why it shouldn't be legalized. One of the major things standing in the way of it being legalized is that the government makes a lot of money by keeping it illegal.

I don't necessarily believe it should be legalized, but if alcohol is legal, then there is no reason this shouldn't be as well.

@downgrade923 I don't necessarily believe it should be legalized, but if alcohol is legal, then there is no reason this shouldn't...

That is a valid question, guess its easy to say the government is filled with people wanting our money, alcohol was first choice I suppose. But you're right when you say it doesn't make sense that alcohol is legal because it really can be compared to marijuana, I'll never fully understand.

@asdijojioiojioxj That is a valid question, guess its easy to say the government is filled with people wanting our money, alcohol was...

First alcohol is worse than weed, a lot of hard working successful people use marijuana and you CAN be a functional member of society and get high. And seriously the government doesnt give a fuck about people when it comes to all drugs all they want is money. Ex. weed is illegal while Oxycontin a prescription painkiller, is ONE MOLECULE away from being heroin, and even if you are taking it for a legit reason you will probably become addicted anyway, all while they put non-violent pot smokers in jail and actually fucking up their lives---but its ok cus they can make money from oxycontin...hows that for backwards

@First alcohol is worse than weed, a lot of hard working successful people use marijuana and you CAN be a functional...

For the most part I agree with you, but the 'one molecule' comment holds no relevance to its effects. Many things have similar chemical structure but entirely different effects/reactions/etc.

Oxycotin is legitimately used for people in extreme pain who are often in the hospital, while using the substance, I wouldn't say it's used to make money... Never been afraid to say what's on my mind at any given time of day cuz I'm a renegade!

@asdijojioiojioxj Oxycotin is legitimately used for people in extreme pain who are often in the hospital, while using the substance...

If what you were saying is true, then the country is already in an altered form of mind with alcohol....

@asdijojioiojioxj read the above discussion..

It's too long.... I'd really rather not and I probably know what they said and can guess what you replied, without having to read it

@It's too long.... I'd really rather not and I probably know what they said and can guess what you replied, without...

funny. i believe that it'd be quicker to read it, than to respond to me. yet you still, did..unless of course you type like 140 wpm, then in that case, go right ahead and keep responding.

@asdijojioiojioxj funny. i believe that it'd be quicker to read it, than to respond to me. yet you still, did..unless of course you...

I remembered that people back then drank alcohal because it was "cleaner" than the water they had.

and it does generate a lot of income I suppose.
but w.e, I don't know much about it. IMO, society would degrade if another self-destructive product like weed was legalized.

Pot is illegal and can screw up your life. Why the hell do people use it then? I think if you're stupid enough to use illegal drugs, you deserve to be caught and locked up for at least 6 months and then take mandatory rehab. And no, I don't think this is harsh.

@NoSoapRadio Pot is illegal and can screw up your life. Why the hell do people use it then? I think if you're stupid enough to...

Weed only messes up your life
because it's illegal. It isn't physically damaging in the long run, no deaths have ever been caused by the smoking of cannabis. If it weren't illegal, it'd be unable to mess up your life.

@Weed only messes up your life because it's illegal. It isn't physically damaging in the long run, no deaths have...

That's not true at all. And I don't understand how weed can be so important to someone that they risk having their lives ruined for it.

Just what this new generation of statistically lazier youth needs, another bad substance to get addicted to.

Tobacco companies have a found a hybrid of the effects to weed and the addiction of Tobacco. I think its that the government is afraid that it could get people back into Tobacco and destroy all the work they have made from stopping smoking.

All right, guys. Time for truth. It is not a gateway substance. Yes, people who do crack and meth often used marijuana previously, but they also most likely smoked cigarettes or drank booze as well. Does this make those also gateway drugs? No. Fact is, the people who are predisposed to do drugs are going to do drugs. And they're going to start with what's easiest to get their hands on. You need an ID to purchase booze and smokes, but you just need a wrinkled $20 to get some bud. If legalized, it could be regulated. We could remove drug dealers and the crime that comes with them. Research on the anti-cancerous effects of THC and other cannabinoids could be government funded. And I could smoke a bowl without feeling like a damn criminal. Alcohol is highly physically addictive. It is considered a POISON. And yet it's legal?

For anyone who wants to educate themselves, links:
http://video.google.com/videopl...14414651731007#

I didn't really wanna read all the above comments, so I apologize if I end up making a point of something someone already said, but I am all for legallizing marijuana. I both smoke weed and drink and I'm aware that that will probably make some already scoff at this point, but weed is definitely better for you. If anything is considered a gateway drug, I would say that starts with alcohol, because you're more likely to wanna try a new "effed up state up.mind" after drinking. Most people drink alcohol before they ever decide to smoke weed. I believe that weed is illegal because the government can profit more from it being illegal than if it were legal. It would be so hard for them totax weed because its so easy to grow on your own. Sure, you can make alcohol on your own too, but its not as easy as growin a plant.

@NoSoapRadio I bet you're high right now.

This amuses me. You have no counter argument.

@This amuses me. You have no counter argument.

If you browse my comments, you'll see I've made plenty of counter-arguments.

FUCK YA 420 I JUS LOVE SMOKING WEED THATS ALL

MikePullams avatar MikePullam Yeah You Are +3Reply

Not EVERYONE is going to be smoking weed...

I'm sure that most people at my school would stop smoking weed if it was legalized.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +2Reply
@NoSoapRadio That's just stupid.

Don't tell me that, I don't smoke it. They only do it cause they think breaking the law is cool.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +8Reply

Marijuana is NOT a gateway drug. Alcohol is more of a gateway drug than pot. As an on-and off serious drug user, I actually use marijuana to keep me off other drugs. It helps to curb my "appetite" for them.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are +2Reply
@NoSoapRadio You're still a drug user

Did I ever say I wasn't? I said "on-and-off serious drug user." I'm talking drugs like heroin, cocaine, etc. I never claimed that smoking pot isn't using a drug.

Adrias avatar Adria Yeah You Are 0Reply

Look at the netherlands, it worked out fine. Sure we have more people who tried it but we have way less addicts and drug related deaths

Devices avatar Device Yeah You Are +1Reply

Booze is easier to tax

The difference between weed and alcohol is that with weed, when you use it, you're guaranteed to get high. With alcohol you can only sometimes get drunk and only when you're being irresponsible with it. Even then, though you can't be in a public place.

@NoSoapRadio The difference between weed and alcohol is that with weed, when you use it, you're guaranteed to get high. With...

Untrue. It's all about tolerance. Based on how much you use, alcohol or weed, is how blitzed you cab get. And just like alcohol, weed has different potents. I may not get high if I'm smokin middies or a spliff.

@NoSoapRadio Then why do you smoke it?

just like some do with alcohol, I like the taste. It's also cheaper.

@SamanthaaJ just like some do with alcohol, I like the taste. It's also cheaper.

I can asure you rhat most people do not smoke weed because they like the taste

@Favvkes I can asure you rhat most people do not smoke weed because they like the taste

oh all knowing! So glad that you've assured me!! Thank you for sharing the light, on somethin you have absolutely way of knowing, or proving. Thank you. People can drink for taste but not smoke? Hmmm someone's been making exceptions.

@SamanthaaJ oh all knowing! So glad that you've assured me!! Thank you for sharing the light, on somethin you have absolutely...

I don's really see the point of using drugs without the full effect (not that I advocate smoking or drinking). Why would you only smoke because it tastes good? It just seems like a bad habit. Of course I could say the same thing about gum, but that's a little unrelated to the toppic at hand.

@Wynaut I don's really see the point of using drugs without the full effect (not that I advocate smoking or drinking). Why...

or you could say the same about alcohol, which everyone keeps trying to say lots of people just drink for tastes. Listen. Just because you particularly don't smoke weed, like weed, or like the taste of it,(hell, who knows if half the people talking down on it even have any experience with!) doesn't mean that no others can or do. I smoke, I like it, I like the taste. And I know plenty of experienced smokers who'd say the almost everything a bad habit these days? Lol, yeah sometimes you just have to be able to decide for yourself.

@SamanthaaJ or you could say the same about alcohol, which everyone keeps trying to say lots of people just drink for tastes...

true, I just still don't see why it's necessary. It seems trivial to want something legalized because it tastes good, you know?

Wynauts avatar Wynaut No Way -1Reply
@SamanthaaJ I get that but thats not all its about.

No of course not, but it just seems like most of the arguments that are pro-legalization have big holes in them. W/e, I doubt debating it over the internet might actually change anyhting, and I've had similar conversations before, so I shall depart.

Derp.
why would you want to smoke weed anyway?

Lady gaga writes her songs when she's smoking pot.

No. Other people drinking does not necessarily affect me. Can't you get high from being around people who are smoking a joint, just from the smell? A lot of people DO NOT drink enough alcohol in a small enough time frame to get drastically impaired, one joint, however...

@No. Other people drinking does not necessarily affect me. Can't you get high from being around people who are...

The smell of Cannabis can't get you high. You'd need to take in notable levels of THC to get high, and chances are that if you don't smoke you're not going to be close enough to that person to intake even remote levels of the smoke that they exhale, which only has up to about 3% of the THC that they initially breathed in. You'd literally have to let them breathe into your face for an entire joint to get high.

You get way more health problems from breathing within thirty feet of a hummer than you do from inhaling a whiff of marijuana.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +3Reply

Nice reasoning . . .
Just because its not as harmful doesn't mean it should be legalised. Raping someone is less harmful than killing them. LETS MAKE RAPE LEGAL!

@_no_ Your forgetting the part where killing is illegal and drinking is legal.

Of course the beginning of the arguement was more or less right. Just because something worse is legal doesn't mean that something that can still be dangerous should be outright legalized. Medicinally, I think it could have its uses, but that doesn't mean it needs to be recreationally legalized. The whole, "not as bad as legal stuff" arguement is stupid IMO.

@Wynaut Of course the beginning of the arguement was more or less right. Just because something worse is legal doesn't mean...

I never argued that, and I won't because I'm not a fan of weed myself. I just saw the gaping hole in his logic and wanted to point it out.

@_no_ I never argued that, and I won't because I'm not a fan of weed myself. I just saw the gaping hole in his logic and...

Oh I know. I agree wholeheartedly with you. I was more commenting on further problems on his argument I guess. Idk I felt like commenting somewhere on here.