+867

Why does everyone compare great love stories and relationships to Romeo and Juliet? Juliet was a thirteen year old, who thought she was in love with a guy who was on the rebound, and was crying about how he was so in love with his ex only a few hours before they met. They get married after like, two days, then he murders her cousin. Thi does NOT sound like a healthy relationship! amirite?

fangirl12s avatar Relationships
31 31
The voters have decided that fangirl12 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Its even worse when people say that Twilight is a great love story

@A_Satanic_Panda Its even worse when people say that Twilight is a great love story

oh, ugh don't even get me started on Twilight. Edward is creepy.

Even though shakespeare wasn't famous for his plots, (alot of which had Deus ex Machina), he had good writing, and that's why people like him. the writing, not his plots.

THANK YOU!! I totally agree! I don't understand why Romeo and Juliet is regarded as one of the greatest love stories of all time! It's a story about teenage stupidity!!

@kawaii THANK YOU!! I totally agree! I don't understand why Romeo and Juliet is regarded as one of the greatest love...

When reading his works, one has to keep this in mind: Shakespeare had totally kickbutt writing skills, but he was terrible at plots.

And then Romeo and Juliet both die. Yeah, thats a great end to your relationship.

It's a famous love story and it's about 'star-crossed lovers', which is why it gets used so much. Plus, half the time they're probably banking on the fact that the people reading the book or watching the film won't have actually read Romeo and Juliet.

The story might be messed up, but the language is so romantic and beautiful. I think that's why so many people love it. I know it's why I do. Plus, Mercutio is damn awesome.

@Abbles But he gets killed off! :(

It sucks, I know! I absolutely love his line "a plague, a plague on both your houses! For they have made worm's meat of me!" Don't know why. Just love it.

not to forget that they both committed suicide.

i agree with all of what you just said but the fact that they died for each other is what makes it romantic and the fact that they can love each other despite their obvious flaws and the fact that their family's hate each other is what makes it romantic. it is unrealistic but its a play who said it has to be realistic

its because it's not a damn love story it's a tragedy

@its because it's not a damn love story it's a tragedy

(Mrs.e): But it was supposed to be tragic because they were in love and couldn't be together, then killed themselves for each other. I didn't think it was that tragic, because I didn't care about the characters or their situation. I just wanted them to shut up.

You know, they probably should've just told their parents they were married. They were catholic,and in that time period, people were really religious, so they couldn't make them get a divorce.

To my post right before this *Mercutio. Damn writing these on a phone...

Actually, Romeo killed her cousin, Tybalt, right after they got married. Not a few days later. The entire story is over a period of five days.

@Actually, Romeo killed her cousin, Tybalt, right after they got married. Not a few days later. The entire story is...

No, i meant they got married after knowing each other for two (maybe it was 3) days, not that he killed Tybalt a few days after they got married.

"i defy you stars"...one of the best quotes of all time...proves that you can go against what others may think of you or what you could be..everything is up to you.

my favourite play of all time purely because of the intensity and how it can still relate to modern times.

a classic.

All relationships end in either death or despair. Think about it: you either break up (despair) or you're together until you die.
Sure, Romeo and Juliet were young when they died, but at least they died together.

@All relationships end in either death or despair. Think about it: you either break up (despair) or you're together...

But they didn't have to die. And they obviously ended the relationship in death AND in despair, if they were upset enough to kill themselves.

1) His first love interest wasn't an ex, it was someone who he was majorly crushing on, just like how he was when he first saw Juliet. And isn't she at least 15? I thought he nurse or someone mentioned her 16th birthday was coming up soon... not that it changes much, but those 2 years make a whooole lot of difference.
2) to numerous people: MERCRUTIO WAS MY FAVORITE TOO!! I was so mad he died! Sadness.
3) I actually have grown to like Romeo and Juliet. Right after I read it I was completely turned off. But now I'm embracing how beautifully it was written, and acknowledging that it was never intended to be a romance play but a tragedy just shows how the people promoting it years later have made it seem like it is more of a romance than a tragedy.

@1) His first love interest wasn't an ex, it was someone who he was majorly crushing on, just like how he was when...

No, Juliet really was just 13. 13, no more, no less. they stated in the play when her birthday was, too.(summer)

juliet was 13 her father and mother both stated it her father said "she hath not yet seen the change of 14 years" or something along those lines

I agree, it really wasn't a romance, and people call it the best love story ever.(at least until Twilight came along :p) The way shakespeare wrotes almost makes up for the bad plot and characters though.

They compare it because of the theme; the stars or fate.

Thank you for not bringing up Twilight. And Thank you for reading a beautiful classic.

It's the love that they both shared, it was fantastic! Sure, lots of bad stuff happened, but think about it, they died for eachothet!

@It's the love that they both shared, it was fantastic! Sure, lots of bad stuff happened, but think about it, they...

But they didn't have to. If Romeo wasn't so impulsive, and gave it one more minute to calm down, he wouldn't have killed himself, seeing she was awake, and Juliet wouldn't have killed herself because of his death.