+601

The "I before E" rule has so many exceptions that an "E before I" rule would be just as useful, amirite?

wobbuffets avatar
6 13
The voters have decided that wobbuffet is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

E before I except if it's pie

Prosopagnosias avatar Prosopagnosia Yeah You Are +11Reply

I before E except after C.

@LordThundercunt I before E except after C.

"I before e except after c and sounding like a in a neighboring way and on weekends and holidays and all throughout May YOU'LL ALWAYS BE WRONG NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!!!!"

-Brian Regan. Amazing.

bluegoddesss avatar bluegoddess Yeah You Are +13Reply
@It's "sounding like 'a' in 'neighbor' and 'weigh'"

You're right, it is. I didn't even read it when I copied and pasted it from another site because I wanted to quickly post that quote. Sorry.

bluegoddesss avatar bluegoddess Yeah You Are +2Reply

And "YOU'LL NEVER BE RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY!", not "always be wrong" =D Lesson learned -- always take the time to do the work yourself, because somebody else probably did a crappy job of it. ;D

@869596

you are

@869708

You're welcome

So weird...

TwoSpoonss avatar TwoSpoons Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'd have a seizure if either way was always right. And don't even try with foreign languages and their crazy rules. Herein you can say that neither "ie" or "ei" is always right.

Sorry, I'm kinda hopped up on caffeine.

so true. although when you think about it, most of the english words that have E before I all make an 'EY' sound. But there's obviously exeptions to that too.