+547

People who speak 3 languages are trilingual, and people that speak 2 languages are bilingual, so what do you call a person that speaks one language? American. amirite?

redoyetaks avatar
28 80
The voters have decided that redoyetak is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's actually called "unilingual".

No. I'm bilingual, bitch.

Mikes avatar Mike No Way +20Reply

It's funny because half of the people who come to America don't learn English.

A lot of americans speak more then one language.
un smilie

Handsys avatar Handsy No Way +13Reply
@Brett Compared to any EU country?

What does that have to do with what i said?

Handsys avatar Handsy No Way +7Reply
@Handsy What does that have to do with what i said?

You said a lot of Americans are bilingual... but they aren't.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are -5Reply
@Brett You said a lot of Americans are bilingual... but they aren't.

Yes they are. I'm HOMESCHOOLED and I'm bilingual ( I don't have a language course, so i learned it in my free time)

It's people like you that make US citizens out to be Retards, When in reality there's more of a chance of somebody in a third world country to be undereducated because there's less opportunity for schooling.

Handsys avatar Handsy No Way +10Reply
@Handsy Yes they are. I'm HOMESCHOOLED and I'm bilingual ( I don't have a language course, so i learned it in my free...

bro, i aint even bi lingual and I can converse in French, you gotta be like perfect for it to be official

Just did a bit of researching. 9% of Americans were bilingual at 2000 census (large majority of them Spanish immigrants), while 40-50% of Europeans are bilingual.

Aren't facts a bitch?

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are -8Reply
@You know what's funny, brett? It's 2011.

If the percent increased at all, it's because of more Mexicans, because American students still aren't required to fully learn another language. Meanwhile Europeans learn 2 languages by the time they graduate.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are -3Reply
@Brett Just did a bit of researching. 9% of Americans were bilingual at 2000 census (large majority of them Spanish...

I'd like to know where you get your facts from.

I'd also like to point out that you compared the us (which is a country) To a whole continent.

Handsys avatar Handsy No Way +17Reply
@Handsy I'd like to know where you get your facts from. I'd also like to point out that you compared the us (which is a...

If anything that's a disadvantage for Europe when being compared as a whole. What's your point? They're better than us at this certain topic, that's what I'm saying.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Handsy "An American, but not fat, nor dumb; a rare find."- Your bio. Yea......

Again, what's your point? The average American is dumb and fat. THIS IS A PROVEN FACT.

@Brett Again, what's your point? The average American is dumb and fat. THIS IS A PROVEN FACT.

Once again, I'd like to know your source. smirk smilie

Cause that is obviously not true.

Handsys avatar Handsy No Way -2Reply
@Handsy Once again, I'd like to know your source. Cause that is obviously not true.

Americans are overwhelmingly the fattest Western country, and multiple studies have shown the average American IQ is comparatively low. If you are denying this you're just being an argumentative bitch.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Brett Americans are overwhelmingly the fattest Western country, and multiple studies have shown the average American IQ...

I'm not denying that its the fattest Western country, but that doesn't mean the average person is fat.
I don't even see that many fat people, at least not in michigan, where i live.

And are YOU denying that the average american is smarter than the average person in a third world country? If so, then you, sir, are very, very, wrong.

Handsys avatar Handsy No Way -1Reply
@Handsy I'm not denying that its the fattest Western country, but that doesn't mean the average person is fat. I don't even...

@1213167 (handsy): Does it really matter who has the greatest percentage of fat people? While the majority of America might be overweight, that doesn't mean that all of them are. Its not like fat people are a rare find in Europe or anything so I really don't see your point.
People shouldn't be defined by the country they come from, but by who they actually are.

2/3 of Americans are overweight.The average weight is overweight.

And of course I wasn't comparing us to god gamn Djibouti. Compared to Western Europe, Australia, Japan, S Africa etc we are statistically and observably STUPID. Why do you deny this?

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Brett 2/3 of Americans are overweight.The average weight is overweight. And of course I wasn't comparing us to god...

1. There's a difference between mean and median.
2. You claimed there are more bilingual people in the US than any EU country (not the EU as a whole), but England's rate of bilingual people isn't much different, with Spain and Italy only a little higher. This is a sad statistic to me too but it's still easier and more practical to learn foreign languages when the city 2 hours away from you speaks a different language.
3. The US is below average among other similarly developed countries (though not the lowest), but for the world at large we are still way above average. I think you're being way over-cynical or hyperbolic, which won't accomplish anything (except make people more defensive).
4. Blijkbaar is iedereen in dit conversatie uit Michigan...

@Handsy Ok Brett, you're a fat retard. Now go die in a hole on fire while watching CNN

Hands that was uncalled for. Yes a majority of people in america are fat. That is a proven fact: http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html . Does that mean all of us are fat? No. But a lot of people are. By the way, why are we talking about this in a post about languages?

another thing. Yes a lot of people in America can speak more than one language, but not fluently. There is probably no real percentage of how many Americans can speak English because many people from different countries are American citizens but speak their native tongue and English.

also saying that you are bilingual just because you take a Spanish class for like 2 or 3 years does not necessarily count. You would have to be able to speak it fluently. (not saying that is you, Hands)

Also might I add, that this is a joke, which I, an American, found quite hilarious

Ellens avatar Ellen Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Ellen Hands that was uncalled for. Yes a majority of people in america are fat. That is a proven fact:...

E... Ellen... I.. I thought.... I thought we were BFF's Forever. (CRY2)

Handsys avatar Handsy No Way -2Reply
@1213341

ono smilie America has more people than Europe. And more people does not change the percentage.

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are +1Reply

We don't need to learn other languages because most of the world is learning English. They can talk all the shit they want about our world ranking in education, our poor health care policies, our debt, but the U.S.A. is still a major power in the world and we still have a major influence. EVEN WITH those problems.

@We don't need to learn other languages because most of the world is learning English. They can talk all the shit...

(USA Beeyotch): But declining rapidly. Bragging about our current standings isn't going to stop it, either.

@1213575

If you are taking a class on it then you are obviously not fluent…

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are 0Reply

I was born in America and I am trilingual wary smilie

i dont know many brits who speak more than one language
and same with canadians in everywhere but quebec

English, Spanish, Japanese, French. Yeah I'm a retard. Oh and I see people who disagree with this post get thumbs downed. Oh well.

Heavenlys avatar Heavenly No Way +12Reply

I'm American, and I'm just sayin', but being able to say hola doesn't make you bilingual...

@orangesocks I'm American, and I'm just sayin', but being able to say hola doesn't make you bilingual...

I'm mexican but when I moved to the United States a couple of years ago I was surprised that in High school, most of my friends could only say "Hola" "adios" & "tengo una fiesta en mis pantalones"

annies avatar annie Yeah You Are +9Reply
@annie I'm mexican but when I moved to the United States a couple of years ago I was surprised that in High school, most...

Well, you got to admit that those are the most crucial phrases to learn first. I use all but one of them everyday in Spanish class.
"Adios" is so lame in comparison to "chao", after all.

hello smilie

Because it's not really necessary. Knowing the basics if Spanish is helpful because it's becoming more and more popular in the US. But with English being the most important language to know, kids growing up speaking it have to use to learn an entirely new one to be successful. Where as a child from another country would need to be able to speak fluent English. The way you worded this post implies that Americans are lazy, when really we just don't need to waste time on something thats unnecessary.

@Chapstick Because it's not really necessary. Knowing the basics if Spanish is helpful because it's becoming more and more...

Learning a foreign language is unnecessary? Only in the way that learning math or science is unnecessary if you're going to be writer. Learning foreign languages facilitates a better understanding of grammar and word roots in one's native language, and additionally betters cultural understanding across linguistic borders. Yes, English is a prevalent language, but linguistic diversity will by no means end anytime soon. Americans are not lazy, perhaps, but rather led to believe that speaking a foreign language is "wasting time." Since when has an intellectual pursuit been a waste of time?

@1212976

Two years of Spanish isn't almost bilingual un smilie

Bretts avatar Brett Yeah You Are -16Reply
@1213086

Wooh! Latin here too!

@1213086

Mah bad.

@Brett Two years of Spanish isn't almost bilingual

@1213007 (Brett): cmon man.. dont be a bitch. Obviously you don't like your country and think everyone in America is a retard. Clearly, you are the only smart one left...

So then why are you wasting your time by arguing with a group of people that are CLEARLY dumber than you... Since we are all too slow, don't you think its a waste of time to even discuss this major topic with us? I mean really... you probably have better things to do with your IQ and metabolism rate than sit around by a computer all day and argue back.... right?

But maybe I'm just too dumb to understand...

I speak fluent English, Italian and Spanish. These posts 'joking' about Americans are just tiring and annoying.

This joke is really old and not that funny. Try again.

Not to be a buzz kill here, but I know that in American secondary school, to graduate, you have to take a foreign language...

most people forget it after high school though...

but just to throw that out there...

Good post anyways, it made me laugh.
=)

Your_Stalkers avatar Your_Stalker Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Your_Stalker Not to be a buzz kill here, but I know that in American secondary school, to graduate, you have to take a foreign...

No secondary school I have ever heard of made you take a foreign language.
Most people start taking foreign languages in high school and by then its way harder. Though i do wish that more people would take a language before high school.

@greatrande No secondary school I have ever heard of made you take a foreign language. Most people start taking foreign...

Well, You have to have enough credits in a specified class to graduate high school and there is a requirement for a certain amount of credits in a foreign language there fore, you need to take a foreign language class.

I know that the majority of schools have this rule to achieve the different types of diplomas available to high school seniors, if you haven't heard of this... enjoy living under your rock.

Your_Stalkers avatar Your_Stalker Yeah You Are 0Reply

Hey, you know what's even funnier than this? AIDS. Get over your dislike for America. They're not all stupid.

I know lots of people at my school who speak Spanish and English.

@I know lots of people at my school who speak Spanish and English.

They're probably Hispanic-American though, from immigrant parents.

@SillyBanana American is American. We all came from somewhere else.

No no, I know that. I meant recent-immigrant ancestors, like parents or at most grandparents. This way the second language is kind of a must, and there are quite a few Hispanic immigrants moving to America nowadays, so speaking Spanish is very common.
I know everyone else has great-grandparents from Germany or India, but they do speak English since their whole family was born in America.

Spanish is the one language nearly all bilingual Americans speak.

English, Spanish, German, Serbian/Croatian, and Russian for me :D Oh yeah - I'm American.

Way to stereotype. This is one of the things that bring the world down.

@Way to stereotype. This is one of the things that bring the world down.

woah chill D: its a joke the world is not falling.

annies avatar annie Yeah You Are +7Reply
@annie woah chill D: its a joke the world is not falling.

oh crap. lil wayne just dropped the world. shit....

This Joke made me laugh so hard I thought I was going to die and so what if people think Americans are stupid and fat it's always fun to just go to a forgin country and be like "Oh hell yeah I'm american, skinny and smart bitch!" But also even in America we make fun of the people who are fat like the rednecks or crazy slang using New Yorkers. But some places make you start learning a language at 4th grade and don't let you stop till 12th which i pray to god someone would be bilingual by then

you realize if you speak 3 or more launguages you are multilaunguagal because it is easier than saying quad or quint or hex or sept or oct or nova or dec

American. Oregon to be more specific. I speak English, Hebrew, Arabic, Polish, and Japanese.

But it is a funny joke, because I know a girl that barely speaks english as her only language ha :)

Hey in that last sentence you spelt "illegal Mexican" wrong.
Not American!!:P

i found this hilarious, eventhough i speak three languages fluently, two conversationaly, and am american. it's true that in other countries, namely the eu, over 50% of their people are bi, tri, or even multilingual. it's sad that americans may fail in the future when it comes to international affairs. it's kind of pathetic. i was fourtunate to have my parents teach me from birth three languages, and have learned through the use of school and rosetta stone, two others (conversationally). this is the reason i absolutely cannot stand when people put the language they're taking in school as a languange they know. no you don't know it, it's nearly impossible to know a language to its' fullest extent solely through teaching. time spent in that country or having others speak it around you since birth (as in my cas) is really the only ways.

jennygees avatar jennygee Yeah You Are 0Reply

Haha, shouldn't you be charging for that kind of knowlegde?!

Now that’s sulbte! Great to hear from you.

k2VPYa <a href=

Super infroamtive writing; keep it up.

I went to tons of links before this, what was I thkining?

Infromtoain is power and now I’m a !@#$ing dictator.

Who wants pizza for lunch? :))