+254

A lot of people ask, "If a time machine was ever invented, wouldn't somebody have come back to tell us about it?" Even if a time machine is invented, it wouldn't be possible to travel backwards past the time the machine was built...and since it hasn't been built yet, no one can travel back to tell us anything about it, amirite?

avadakedavras avatar
6 84
The voters have decided that avadakedavra is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

For one I'd like to claim BS on the theory that you can't go back past the date that it was turned on, if you are warping space time its not going to matter when you turned it on. For another why would anyone want to come back in time just to tell us? To be quite honest I doubt we will ever be able to make any invention to manipulate space-time, as we don't have access to anything that can manipulate it. All we have is matter and light.

@For one I'd like to claim BS on the theory that you can't go back past the date that it was turned on, if you are...

I agree completely that we can't manipulate time, I'm just pointing out the obvious. And no, you can't go backwards past the time a machine was created, IF it was ever created, because it wouldn't exist and therefore it wouldn't be possible to have traveled back.

@I agree completely that we can't manipulate time, I'm just pointing out the obvious. And no, you can't go backwards...

But that's only if you're assuming that you can't take things back in time with you. Otherwise you'd just take the machine you just built (from the present) back into the past with you.

Why wouldn't you be able to go back to before the machine was invented?
If anybody did invent a time machine, they'd probably screw up the future by telling people about it in the past.

@464677

That's cos he's not doing it in the sci-fi accepted way, he's using lasers and things, in which case you can't go back beyond when it was first created

What if someone already has traveled back in time, and changed our history, but we are completely unaware? I mean, we wouldn't know if something changed in the past, because we would be the outcome.

Just...something I've been thinking about for a little while.

Time travel to the past is impossible because it violates a ton of the laws of physics including casualty and duplication of matter.

@BreakfastFan Time travel to the past is impossible because it violates a ton of the laws of physics including casualty and...

And time travel to the future is impossible because the future simply doesn't exist yet. So yeah, time travel is pretty much screwed.

@TheWeasel And time travel to the future is impossible because the future simply doesn't exist yet. So yeah, time travel is...

Nope time travel to the future is completeley possible and in fact we do it everyday. You experience time slower when you are closer to something that has a lot of mass or when you go closer to the speed of light. If you spent an hour in a plane going 400 mph and I spent it sitting down, you'd have aged less by .0000000000001 second. So if a ship were built that could get close to lightspeed, (say 99%) you'd experience time several times less fast. So if I took a one year voyage in this ship, it would be 50 years later when I got out even though it felt like a year to me.

@BreakfastFan Nope time travel to the future is completeley possible and in fact we do it everyday. You experience time slower...

No, you don't understand what I mean. You can, theoretically, travel faster than normal time (though the energy required to do so noticeably approaches infinity) but you can't hit a button and suddenly be in the future, because the future doesn't exist. Another theory for "time travel" would be to cryogenically freeze people (once that technology is perfected of course) and wake them up in the future. Of course, that's not really time travel, but it seems that way to frozen people.

Yes, what you call "time travel" happens all the time, but that's not really what we consider time travel at all, is it?

@BreakfastFan I see what you mean. We can't step through a portal and walk into the future.

Exactly, no "portals."

The reason I NWed this post is that time travel in both directions is theoretically impossible, but if some day someone finds a way to actually do so, I'm betting they'll make sure the time machine comes with them.

@TheWeasel Exactly, no "portals." The reason I NWed this post is that time travel in both directions is theoretically...

What if they make it by accident? Like, they make some atom transporter or something, and get sucked into it before they perfected it.
But, I totally get what you're saying. But with a topic like this, you have to keep an open mind, because all it is is theory's and 'What if?'s.

@Alexx_Angel What if they make it by accident? Like, they make some atom transporter or something, and get sucked into it before...

Well that wouldn't really be a time machine now would it? In that scenario, they wouldn't be coming back to tell us about it anyway.

@Alexx_Angel True. I have my own theories about time travel. vvvv

I'll admit, I had a chuckle thinking about a couple computer geeks getting accidentally sucked into their homemade matter transporter and being dumped in a wilderness thousands of years ago.

@Alexx_Angel That would a hilarious book/movie. I would read/see it.

Me too.

Think I have an idea for my first novel now...I'll be sure to credit amirite.

@Me too. Think I have an idea for my first novel now...I'll be sure to credit amirite.

Be sure to let us know when you finish it. I wanna read it too. :)

@TheWeasel Be sure to let us know when you finish it. I wanna read it too. :)

Sure thing.

Too bad it will never get published in todays society, because it's not about vampires. :(

@Sure thing. Too bad it will never get published in todays society, because it's not about vampires. :(

Well you could always have them transported back to a forest in Transylvania. I'm sure Dracula, the REAL vampire, would be more than willing to pay them a visit. ;)

@TheWeasel Well you could always have them transported back to a forest in Transylvania. I'm sure Dracula, the REAL vampire...

That would interesting, because everyone thinks of Dracula as having to be how the original Victorian author wrote him. What if he wasn't?

@TheWeasel How do you mean?

I mean, what if he turned out to be a nice guy? Or, since he's so old, the sun doesn't affect him as it would a newly sired vampire.

True. I think we should all collaborate. Our false author name will be Amy Wright...yeah, that sounds cheesy.

@Alexx_Angel That's my best friend's mom's name.

Really? Weird. I just said it because it sounds like Amirite?

@TheWeasel M. I. Wright?

Hmmm. Maybe I should have logged into my account before having a conversation with two people I now want to write a book with.

M.I. Wright it good, because it could be male or female...

@Really? Weird. I just said it because it sounds like Amirite?

I knew that, I just found it somewhat funny.

I like Weasel's idea.

You know, I have a program that puts things into script format. I could write a script while you write a novel, and then see how they ended up. I might write a novel, as well. I have a lot of free time and a couple ideas...

@Alexx_Angel You know, I have a program that puts things into script format. I could write a script while you write a novel, and...

Cool.

I take a video production, and journalism class. I want to be an author, but if my books are ever good enough to be made into movies, I want to have experience in that area. That way the movie won't be a crappy rendition of the book.

@Cool. I take a video production, and journalism class. I want to be an author, but if my books are ever good...

I want to do that, too! I hate it when directors of movies don't even skim the book, the movie turns out horrible.

@Alexx_Angel I want to do that, too! I hate it when directors of movies don't even skim the book, the movie turns out horrible.

I know, it totally sucks.

People think it's stupid when I say "I want to be an author, and produce my own movies" they're like, "Seriously, how about a real career."

I'll start writing it, but I don't think I'll get published as a teenager. Then again, The Outsiders was published when she was fresh out of high school, I believe.

Any title suggestions?

@I know, it totally sucks. People think it's stupid when I say "I want to be an author, and produce my own movies"...

"On the Wing." I happened to be listening to Owl City a few minutes ago, and that was the song. It's perfect, because it could mean time or it could be because of the vampire.

@TheWeasel "On the Wing." I happened to be listening to Owl City a few minutes ago, and that was the song. It's perfect...

I love Owl City. :)

That is a good title. How about "On The Wing Of Time" or something like that, combining your name with the actual plot of the novel.

@Alexx_Angel @464997 (Anonymous): That's good, that's good. I like that. And, yes, you should log in.

Yeah, I'll get on my computer first. For some reason, whenever I log in on my dad's it never can log me out, which is annoying when my brother comes on.

@Yeah. Stupid Mac...

I'm a PC (and Windows 7 was my idea).

@Alexx_Angel I'm a PC (and Windows 7 was my idea).

It was actually Bill Gates idea... My computer is a PC...

@Alexx_Angel I know, I was making fun of the Windows 7 commercials.

I got the joke, I was just making one of my own. I hate those commercials...

I got to go now. See you around.

@random_username I got the joke, I was just making one of my own. I hate those commercials... I got to go now. See you around.

Oh, well, get started and we can talk about things we've written when you can get back on!
Until then!

@Alexx_Angel Oh, well, get started and we can talk about things we've written when you can get back on! Until then!

I was thinking me and you can do like an add your own chapter thing. Like, I write for a character, and you write for another one, back and forth.

Anyway see you, if we get famous off this, I'm giving Anthony some cash.

@random_username I was thinking me and you can do like an add your own chapter thing. Like, I write for a character, and you write...

hat's a good idea. How about to get started, we both write the first chapter and choose which one we like better?

Some. This wouldn't have been created without him.

@Alexx_Angel hat's a good idea. How about to get started, we both write the first chapter and choose which one we like...

I always just kind of "write" in my head, not actual writing. The best ideas come to me at night, so I guess being an insomniac has some advantages. I suck at coming up with names and stuff, even though that should be the easiest part.

The angle I'm working right now in terms in characters is the unloved, nerdy child of an athletic family accidently sucks himself, and his obnoxious brother, into the time machine.Like I said, I suck at characters. I'm more of a plot-based person.

@I love Owl City. :) That is a good title. How about "On The Wing Of Time" or something like that, combining your...

That's really good too.

Yes, you should log into your account so we can discuss things further.

@TheWeasel That's really good too. Yes, you should log into your account so we can discuss things further.

Thanks. Best title I've ever come up with.

Yeah sure. My account's random_username. Feel free to add me if you want, so we can talk on our pages instead of clogging up this post. The OP is going to get like, 100 notifications.

@TheWeasel No, you don't understand what I mean. You can, theoretically, travel faster than normal time (though the energy...

Okay, I will say I agree with the future not being invented yet part.

I always imagined time travel being used to visit the past anyway, which, I guess, is a little more likely (though still far out there)

This is why amirite is great, I feel as if we're having an actual intelligent, productive conversation about something.

@Okay, I will say I agree with the future not being invented yet part. I always imagined time travel being used to...

Yeah, it always feels good to have an intelligent discussion with a respectful opponent who doesn't launch personal attacks because I don't agree with them.

@TheWeasel Yeah, it always feels good to have an intelligent discussion with a respectful opponent who doesn't launch personal...

Indeed, I hate when people bash my opinions or ideas. It's like, it's my opinion, disagree with it, if you must, but that doesn't mean you can criticize everything about me.

I guess you changed my opinion on the whole time travel thing. The longer I think about it, the more I begin to realize that the "time travel" we experience sometimes (standing next to large massed things etc.) is extremely small scaled compared to what would be needed to travel years ahead, or back, in time.

I heard something like that about the Pyramids, or something like that. People that stand closer to the Pyramids (or any other object with large mass) are actually a fraction of a second behind other people.

So, all and all, time travel to the future would be possible, forget what TheWeasel says.

@464765

The Pyramids have such a relatively small mass that if there actually WAS any "time traveling" caused beside them, the affect would be so minuscule that it would almost certainly be unmeasurable by even the most advanced scientific instruments. If it was possibly big enough to be measured, then astronauts on the moon or orbiting the Earth would undergo severe aging, and any space missions would not be plausible.

The main problem with traveling back into the past is the possibility of creating a paradox. Like, what if you went back in time and killed the person who invented the time machine? So if time travel ever does exist, it is either impossible or we've made it impossible to go back into the past.

Time travel all depends on how you look at time. If you think about it as a time line, were the farthest point is what you're expeiriencing at this moment, then, time travel as you are thinking about it, is impossible.
If you think about it as every moment in time, ever, happening at the same time, perhaps we don't know anything because we are the outcome of time travel.
The you have to think about the actual machine that's going to transport you. If it moves as well, if you figure out how to time travel, then you can go anywhere in the past, supposedly . If it merely transports your atoms, then, you go back in time past the point where the machine was invented, you're screwed.
But, those are my theories.

No, the point is to travel backwards far in the past, the problem IS why has nobody told us.

You can't go back before the moment the time machine is created? What determines when it was "created," when they screwed in the last bolt or something?

"wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

@"wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Well, as long as the Timey Wimey is wibbly AND wobbly, I have no problem with it.

Dudes with the book idea? There could be thousands of author-wannabe teenagers feeding off your plot like leeches right now.
Myself included. Not that I would ever do that. Copyright just isn't my thing.

Just sayin'- not a very smart idea to have a public conversation about something not yet claimed as yours.

I don't believe time travel will ever be possible simply because time is too complex for us to understand, much less manipulate.

Regarding the actual post, it would be possible to go back to before the time machine was invented. I mean, you're distorting time anyway, what time period you go to would be no matter.

sorry it looks dumb under all this scientific jargon but i had to say it :D

Depends on if you believe on the multi-verse theory

Oh lawd, arguments about fiction and theories are exhausting, and paradox makes my brain ache. >.<

whoa confusing

i REALLY dont want to get in details, but the last part is wrong

People have come back in time to tell us about time machines. We just call them 'whack jobs' and that's the end of it.

You are all are putting way too much thought into this.

@You are all are putting way too much thought into this.

How could you not put thought into time travel.